Welcome Chinese Vegetarian Food

• Friend
Contact 03-3482630

2 Wharenui Rd, Riccarton, Christchurch, New Zealand,

Vegetarian cafe in Christchurch, near the University, serving Chinese and Western food. Features over 100 items on the menu with most being vegan. Food such as fried radish cake, hot plates, claypot dishes, noodle, vegan ice cream, and more. No onion or garlic used. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, International, Western, Take-out

First Review by vegestuff

Go here and feast. - Edit

The food is amazing and so cheap! Seems like 95% of their menu is vegan, with the exception of some omelette dishes.
The samosas are to die for, but so is everything else.
They got everything ready within 15 minutes.
Loved it.

Pros: Amazing food, Cheap, Large vegan selection

Cons: Maybe not the most stylish restaurant , But who cares?

Good thing I don't live too close - Edit

This is the type of place that if you lived within walking distance you possibly would never cook at home. Cheap, especially with their $20 set menu. Only a ten minute walk from the university. Quite a popular place for students. The steamed dumplings have me wanting more and the crock pots are quite flavorsome.

Pros: A lot of choice, Large Portions, Cheap

Cons: Decor

Praise be! - Edit

This place has out of this world vegan options. The people are super friendly. The peanut sauce is to die for.
They make these things on sticks, covered in peanut sauce. I don't know what they are but they are chewy and if you want to improve your life you oughta get some.

Don't go there if you don't have to - Edit

So that's how it goes: The food is good and the menu is pretty big, especially providing lots of vegan options. Basically that's all, there is nothing more special about this place, hence I am surprised about all that gushing praise. Besides, the menu looks huge but when you read it carefully, you will discover that most of the dishes are very similar to each other - so the range is a bit an embellishment.
I had a vegan special which was fair, but deep-fried and therefore nothing really special. In fact sadly most of the dishes are deep-fried. My plate was still sprinkling from oil, so after a minute the oil was splashed all over the table (and also a bit all over me).
Actually it's probably the best to order something to take away, because the premise itself isn't very cozy and after a while sitting there you smell like a cheap snack bar or chip stand.
I took a vegan pastry as dessert which was hard as stone. I was hardly able to take a bite, I am not kidding.
Besides, it's quite a long walk from downtown Christchurch.
All in all a pretty disappointing experience.

Pros: huge menu, food fair

Cons: sleazy place, smells oily, most dishes deep-fried

Love This Place! - Edit

Can't believe that almost everything on the menu is vegan....So many choices!
If you're a Vegan travelling to Christchurch definitley try here.
Yes a lot of it is fried, but like the other reviewer said, probably the chinese influence of the cooking. It's yummy, and I don't eat like this everyday.
The owner is lovely, always very friendly.
The prices are good, especially for take away lunches.
No complaints about this place.

Pros: Too many choices, Yummy food, Try the won tons! Delicious!

Cons: Can't think of any

Best Veg/Vegan Restaurant In the World - Edit

OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! Curry Fried-Rice or Curry Fried-Noodles with Extra Soy Protein (spicy) = EPIC AWESOMENESS. I used to live in Christchurch for 2 years during my study at University of Canterbury and I go there nearly every day. I couldn't find a single place anywhere in the world which comes close to this Veg/Vegan Heaven. Friendly owner. Very tasty food. Man, I LOVE this place and I really miss this place. My meat-eating dorm mates also love this place.I highly recommend this place and my two favourite dishes to everyone, whether Vegan/Vegetarian or even Meat-eating folks. PLEASE OPEN A RESTAURANT in Auckland.

Ratings (out of 10)

Price : 10/10 (cheap)
Food Quantity : 10/10 (more than enough)
Taste : 10/10 ( OMG!!! Bloody best tasting food ever)
Accessibility : 10/10 ( By bus or car, and near Riccarton)
Customer Service : 10/10 ( friendly-folks)

always welcome. - Edit

sure, the place looks a bit dodgy. i'm not going there for that. i go for the awesome food that welcome serves up. my partner and i go every wednesday for our 'welcome wednesday' meal and every wednesday we leave there happy. the staff is super friendly and the service is quick. highly recommended!

Pros: friendly, excellent selection, inexpensive

Fantastic food. Fantastic service. Fantastic price. Fantastic venue. This is my favourite Chinese restaurant in New Zealand. I highly recommend it!!!

Pros: Fantastic food, Fantastic service, Lots of selection

Cosy restaurant - friendly service and yummy food - Edit

If your craving a meaty taste this is a great place to go. Its a lovely family run restaurant. Bernard is often serving with a big friendly smile. Well worth visiting.

Lots of mock meat. Delicious. Recommended! - Edit

I highly recommend this place: it is one of the best places I have found for mock meat and tofu dishes.
The menu is extensive (4 pages or more) and you can try something different every time: 85% of it is vegan!
The food is mostly fried but it is not oily.
The owner is very friendly and prices are low.
What it lacks in atmosphere, it makes up for in deliciousness.

Pros: excellent food, extensive menu, low prices

Cons: don't go there for a romantic date.

Welcome Chinese Vegetarian in Riccarton - Edit

Everyone else pretty much tells you most things. The menu is extensive, 85% of it is vegan, and the owner is very friendly. I do however have a couple of complaints. The food is almost all fried (predominantly deep fried) and the restaurant is located kind of in a strip mall so it lacks ambience. I think the deep-frying is just a result of it being Chinese cuisine and the ambience cannot be helped, for if more people were into Vegan food we wouldn't have to deal with it.

Pros: Choices, Vegan Options, Friendly Owner

Cons: Deep-fried, Lacks Ambience

Delicious - Edit

A vegetarian restaurant with a menue of about 4 pages? I couldn't believe it the first time! I try something different everytime now but the hotplates are my favorites! I've never been disappointed. Love it!

Pros: Superb Food, Friendly Service, affordable

Nice little restaurant - Edit

The two reviews below have pretty much summed it up, I can only add that if you're a vegetarian and you're hungry - that's where you go! The food is wholesome, not "heavy" but at the same time satisfying. The owners do not use any onion or garlic in their cooking, but they use eggs in some preparations.

Pros: Friendly staff, Tasty food, No onion or garlic

Cons: Use eggs in some preps

Return to Christchurch Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Welcome Chinese Vegetarian Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4244 times since Aug 2007.