Wayward Vegan Cafe

• Friend
206-524-0204

801 NE 65th St Ste C, Seattle, Washington, USA, 98115

In Jan 2015 this vegan-owned diner relocated from 5253 University Way NE into this larger space. Now serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner all day long featuring an extensive selection of American comfort foods plus weekly specials. Has a gluten-free menu as well a kids menu. Not to be confused with Wayward Coffeehouse on Roosevelt Way. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by HaplessHeather

Great Diner - Edit

I love that they have a decent sized menu with a decent amount of breakfast options. It used to be bigger but I can understand that it would be tough to have that many different items to cook, but it's still an adequate amount now.

Pros: Vegan Breakfast!, They have an upstairs

Perfect Hangover Fare - Edit

Awesome breakfasts. Decadent crunch wraps. Perfectly spiced bloody marys. Not the most health-conscious meal you'll have that week but sometimes you just need gravy or fried things (or both).

Pros: Solid menu, Friendly service

Cons: Dining room cleanliness not the greatest

HOLY GUACAMOLE - Edit

Oh my goodness I have been waiting FOREVER to try Wayward. A quick trip to Seattle this week created the opportunity. I brought my Omni mom and she enjoyed the California Dreamin' Crunchwrap with fries while I indulged in the fettuccini alfredo. It was worth the wait. The cashew cream sauce was so flavorful and creamy and the "chicken" had the most incredible flavor and texture! I could even taste the Parmesan cheese on the garlic bread. SO yummy and filling. I snagged a fry off mom's plate and holy moly was it good. Can't wait to come back and try more things off the menu!!

Pros: YUM, ALL VEGAN

Cons: Tad pricey, We were sat in a little cramped corner

Bring your non vegan friends - Edit

This place has a huge selection of vegan options. Every non-vegan friend or family member i have brought here has said "this is vegan?" with that said, for a vegan accustomed to fresh produce and and a light touch, this restaurant is a vegan "comfort food haven." Another way to put that is gut-bomb heaven. A lot of the food is what you would expect from the usual breakfast diner + vegan flair. Totally worth the meal...just keep the eyes smaller than the stomach.

Pros: Vegan choices, Great Service, Nice location

Cons: Limited "fresh" option

my favorite restaurant in Seattle - Edit

Our go-to place almost anytime we go out! We've sampled a majority of the menu items, I've enjoyed everything but my most favorite things are the MOZZARELLA WEDGES! Like seriously so good, you must try them! Another favorite is the country fried seitan breakfast. It's one of the best things I've ever had, the hashbrowns are bomb and so is the tofu scramble. And of course the seitan was sooooo good, with lots of gravy!! Nothing better! My husband loves the chick'n parm sandwich and the Chico vegan melt. I also love the spirit burger, the fettuccini alfredo, the chiggen wrap... so much more, everything we've had has been great. The service is usually great, even when they're busy. We waited 25 minutes to get a seat on President's Day and it was well worth it! Prices are very good, too, we can eat there for around $30 for 2 people, including an appetizer and tip.

Pros: all vegan , friendly staff , good prices

Cons: wish they opened earlier!

Amazing diner vegan food - Edit

really cool vegan diner with an amazing selection for brunch and breakfast. Came here on a weekend trip - had the buffalo wings and omelette with tempeh which were both very good. The buffalo wings were amazing - and made with tofu for those that don't like the faux meat texture (it was kind of like the bean curd texture). Good service and friendly staff.

Pros: variety of selection for breakfast food (almost to, tasty!

Cons: not healthy :( but you wouldn't really come he

mock meat lover's heaven - Edit

So many options on the menu! Wayward has delicious food. I tried the ex-benedict which includes an egg-like patty, vegan faux meat of some sauce (I think ham?) and hollandaise sauce with a side of hashed browns. The sauce really made the meal! Delicious.

Pros: good variety of menu options, delicious, quick service

Cons: busy, may have to wait to be seated

Absolutely my favorite spot in Seattle - Edit

I have been going to wayward for around 14 years or so and this place became my favorite vegan restaurant after the ownership change (to the current owners). Over the years and through the location changes, it has only gotten better an better. Whenever I am in town, though I frequent most of the other vegan spots in town as well, Wayward is always #1 on my list.

Pros: diverse menu with options for sensitivities, fair prices, absolutely delicious

Cons: only in Seattle

So many delicious choices - Edit

There's so many wonderful things to try it seems unfair to have to choose a few. Definitely bring a buddy and half everything!(:

chrisgo 13 Nov 2016 - I couldn't agree more! What a great find this is. ❤️❤️❤️

Excellent breakfast! - Edit

This place is AWESOME. Big menu, lots of options and everything is served all day. We had the Tempeh Tantrum and the Country Bumpkin. All delicious. Their tofu scramble was quite possibly the best I'd ever had. Portions were generous too. We would've loved to have dessert as well, but didn't due to time constraints. Well, next time for sure!

Pros: Great food, Good value, Extensive menu

eat here! - Edit

We loved this place! Big menu full of too many choices! Good kid options, and breakfast served anytime. The carrot cake was the highlight- the best one I have ever had. I wish I lived closer to frequent this place!

Great - Edit

What a great place to eat. Many options and very great service. We had the Avocado Omelet which was outstanding. Wish they were closer to home.

Pros: Great selection of food, Great Service

A new favorite - Edit

Whenever we find ourselves in Seattle, we try to hit at least one or two new vegetarian places from the many available options. Wayward has just become a new favorite! We got there just as it was opening on a Saturday morning, and within half an hour the place was packed. Their menu is huge. I ordered the chicken fried steak, a tofu scramble, and a short stack of banana pancakes. The steak was a little oily but very tasty. The tofu scramble was just plain awesome -- incredibly flavorful. The pancakes were enormous, and I was pleased that they were made with whole wheat flour; my only minor complaint was that they were slightly undercooked on the inside while slightly overcooked on the outside. The staff were pleasant and helpful, and the prices were reasonable. We left completely stuffed and satisfied, and we'll definitely be back the next time we're in town.

Pros: Delicious food, Huge menu, Open daily

Cons: Not health food (if that's what you're looking for

Great vegan comfort food - Edit

Great tasting vegan comfort food! Big portions, I like that the coffees endless, clean, nice staff and atmosphere. However, they don't

Cons: chairs aren't to comfy, mention organic or anything really about the ingre

Spot on comfort - Edit

I was visiting family in Seattle and they took us here! I first saw the beautifully designed interior, and it was very busy! We were seated right away.
I ordered scrambled egg, ham tempeh, and hashbrowns with cheese, green onion, and sour cream! It was true comfort food I hadn't had in a while, and so filling! The servers were attentive and polite! Defiantly coming back next time I'm in Seattle. ;)

Pros: Wonderful food, Polite staff, Beautiful Designed Interior

Plant Based Comfort Food - Edit

Was on vacation on Seattle with a list of veg restaurants to try. Couldn't stop going back to this one though. The breakfasts here are unsurpassed and, since they serve all day, we sampled a bit of the menu. The brown rice pancakes rocked, as did the "omelets" and the club breakfast sandwich. They were happy to leave added salt off my orders so modifications are accommodated. We recognized the owner from the Happy Cow cookbook and said hello.Obvious that the place is a labor of love and it comes through. Would recommend to non-vegs too.

Pros: huge menu selection, great beers, bright and cheery vibe

Guilty Pleasure - Edit

I always have to get Biscuits and Gravy here! They're delicious! Most of the food here is fattening and fried, great for hangovers! They're good at what they do, but it's not an everyday place for me. Too many mock meats and fried things. Service is hit or miss.

Pros: Hangover Food, Inconsistent Service

Cons: Heavy

OMG Yum!! - Edit

I love the new location, it is clean, trendy and just looks nice. I visited with my husband and two children (4 and 8 months). The staff was nice, not overly nice, but nice. There are four separate bathrooms, and all were clean. The upstairs area is nice. They had coloring books and legos that had been washed!!! I ordered the breakfast burrito, as I always do, and it was delicious, as usual. Ended up with most of it for lunch the next day (which is a win). My husband got a burger with a meat-like patty. He really enjoyed it. We ordered a plate of fried goodness-sweet potato fries, fried tofu and OMFG mozzarella sticks!!! The ranch was super drippy but the mozzarella sticks were amazing. My only issue was that when the server came to clear our plates, she was holding someone else's dirty plates and cups, which she put down on our table in front of my son. It would have been nicer to just take them five feet to the kitchen so we didn't have to look at anyone else's old food. Regardless, we will be back.

Pros: Clean bathrooms, Clean kid's toys, Mozzarella Sticks

Cons: Sketchy table clearing

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wayward Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.