CLOSED: Waterside Cafe

• Vegetarian

Contact 01539 729743

Kent View Waterside, Cumbria, Kendal, England,

Veggie restaurant and cafe serving vegetarian and vegan food. Uses organic and fairtrade ingredients. Vegans to specify. Current owners as of Dec 2014. JUL 2016 REPORTED CLOSED DUE TO FLOODING. LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN IT REOPENS.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Catering, English

First Review by VeganNatasha

Persistence is rewarded - Edit

This café has an excellent position with views over the river. It is billed as a wholefoods shop as well but in fact only has one shelf unit of produce. The food was OK and there are a lot of interesting books, leaflets etc to read but we had difficulty getting the staff to acknowledge our existence; they knew we were there but didn't look up from their work or say anything. They did put together vegan desserts for us, which was nice, but we had to go back twice for the cream and custard we were supposed to have on top! In summary, you can get vegan food here if you keep on trying.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 25, 2015

Edit: should point out that we weren't sitting at a table. We were standing right by the counter and the staff still ignored us.

Pros: Great view, OK food

Cons: Unfriendly staff

Great vegetarian cafe - Edit

This is a lovely cafe with plenty of tables and outdoor seating for warmer days. The menu had quite a good range of food and had a daily specials board with some good choices. I'm vegan, the vegan selection wasn't huge but was good, and had a buckwheat burger and 3 different salads which you were able to choose. There was also a selection of vegan cakes which looked delicious but I didn't try them as I was very full as portions were generous! The food was reasonably priced and the staff were helpful

Good vegetarian food - Edit

I have eaten here several times as I'm vegan and I have family in the town, some of whom are also vegetarian. I have always had good experiences with the Waterside Cafe's salads and soups, and the chilli is really good. It is true that there are fewer vegan choices than lacto-ovo vegetarian choices, but that's the same with most vegetarian eateries.
I want to just point out that this cafe is too small to have table service - you order and pay at the counter before the meal is served, like a cafeteria.

Pros: Salads, Friendly staff

Cons: Small, No table service

Return to Kendal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Waterside Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2402 times since Aug 2007.