CLOSED: Water Drop Teahouse and Restaurant

• Vegetarian

Contact 662-645-0505

100/123 Vongvanij Plaza, 2nd F, Rama 9 Road, Huay Kwang, Bangkok, Thailand, 10320

Pleasant, air conditioned restaurant serving mostly Thai cuisine with other dishes from around Asia, many with faux meat. There is a small shop inside selling tea, snacks, frozen food. Directions: 10 minute walk east from Phra Ram 9 BTS station, you have to go into the main Vongvanij building, there's a two-story building in front of the main Vongvanij building which has frontage on to Rama IX Road, and that's where you want to go. Reported closed to HappyCow, Jan 2015.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Thai, Take-out, Asian

First Review by simpsonyellow

Yummy Yummy Yummy! - Edit

I love this restaurant!
Mostly chinese and Thai with many mock meat choices. So yummy and vegan friendly.
I love the foods but not often go there because of operating time and traffic jam. Maybe close early and no BTS or MRT around there. Better to go by car but traffic jam in the evening.

Must try!

Pros: Good value, Yummy

Cons: close early, traffic jam

Great, if you like MSG and factory food - Edit

We were really disappointed with this place, not least because it looks really nice from the outside. A few nights ago we got there at 7.33pm to find they were already closed, so today we made sure we got there early.

Shouldn't have bothered.

We started out ordering drinks. Not much of a selection. Despite the name and all the tea paraphernalia there were only a few teas listed but we found some juices that sounded interesting enough: tamarind juice for me and a pandan leaf and jelly drink for my partner. Mine came out in a can, which was enough to have me slightly concerned about the food, but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and stay optimistic. My partner's drink was a radioactive yellow: definitely disconcerting. He had a sip and the verdict wasn't good so we agreed to focus on the food.

Much of the fare on offer is not Thai but Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. We sifted through and found enough options to keep us conceptually enthused though - noodles with Thai red sauce, yellow curry, taro hotpot (probably Chinese but it looked to have lots of veges so...), mixed mushroom rice (ditto) and a tofu stir-fry.

We sipped on our collective can of tamarind-sugar drink and waited.

What arrived on our table was a procession of the most awful creations we've tried since a terrible encounter with a mock meat restaurant in Singapore last month.

The hotpot tasted like MSG and hot water. The noodles - ditto, only it was red in colour. The tofu stir-fry could have been ok but the flavour was way too overdone to be enjoyable. The yellow curry was full of mock meat, had no veges in it and was so fiercely hot (chili hot) it knocked us off our chairs. The rice was the best of the bunch - no complaints there. Suffering from a lack of veges we ordered one more dish - some boiled Chinese greens with sesame sauce. Arg... awful, again. The sauce tasted like sugar syrup with sesame sprinkled on top (trying to be Japanese I think but failing dismally).

Feeling sick from the copious amounts of MSG we went to the counter to pay only to discover all the seasonings used in the food are for sale. An inspection of the labels confirmed everything - MSG, MSG and more MSG.. oh, and some "vegetarian flavourings"(??) and various preservatives (the groovy ones with numbers in the names). All from China and Taiwan. At least they're transparent about it I guess! Wish we had have noticed them earlier, could have saved some time + baht.

Summary: not food.

Pros: pleasant ambience, prompt service, aircon

Cons: MSG, preservatives, artificials galore, no cooking skills, phoney "wellness" vibe

Nice Place. Lovely Food. - Edit

I made a special trip out to Water Drop after a glowing recommendation from a friend in Bangkok and wasn't disappointed.

There's quite a bit of faux meat on the menu, but plenty of pure vegetable dishes as well. The most impressive thing for me was the variety on offer. Though it's not the most expansive menu I've seen, there really are a lot of interesting dishes. I ended up buying enough takeaway to last about a day and a half because I couldn't decide. The spicy papaya salad was very nice and delicately flavoured and the tofu laab and pork curry were delicious. We also had some mushroom drumstick appetisers (called Tempo Mushroom), which were interesting. I've heard great things about the imitation beef that they do, and I really wanted to try the vegetarian sashimi, which I've never seen on a menu before. Will have to wait til next time I'm in town.

You can see the full menu on their website (the photos on the site are also a pretty accurate representation of what you get). Starters are 80 baht each and mains are 90, so not the cheapest feed in Bangkok, but well worth it. A typical bill would end up around US$6-8 a head for a couple of courses plus drinks.

The atmosphere is also very pleasant and the place is spotless. When I went there was only one staff member who spoke (a little) English, but the menu has English descriptions so that makes things a lot easier. It's also worth having a look at the stuff for sale in the corner (frozen 'meat', steam buns, various snacks, teas etc).

Even though the restaurant actually fronts onto Rama IX road, it's a little tricky to find due to poor signage. There's a two-storey annex building between the main Vongvanij Building and Rama IX road, with a small parking area in front. Water Drop is on the upper floor of the annex. Note that the google maps link from Happy Cow shows the wrong location - suggest you do your own google map search for Vongvanij Building.

Not a hands down five happy cows, but definitely better than four. Highly recommended.

Pros: Varied menu, Very clean, English menu

Cons: Not obvious from street, Not the best location

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Water Drop Teahouse and Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1543 times since Apr 2010.