Wass Ethiopian Restaurant

• Veg-friendly
Contact 289-389-5294

207 James Street South, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada,

Serves meat, vegan options available. With Ethiopian food, you will be able to find veg dishes. Has a vegetarian (vegan) combo with injera bread. Large portions.

Category: Beer/Wine, Take-out, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by koala

Decent food but terrible atmosphere - Edit

Don't get me wrong, I love Ethiopian food, but this place is probably on the lower end of the scale in terms tastiness. What's more, the portions are too small and leave you hungry.
On top of all that, the atmosphere sucks. The restaurant is in a basement. Be careful where you sit because some of the walls are covered in mold. The service could use a few pointers as well.

Pros: Ethiopian food

Cons: quality, atmosphere , service

Interesting - Edit

We just got back from eating at this restaurant. The food was very nice, in appearance, colour and flavour too.
This was my first time eating Ethiopian food so I don't have anything to compare it to, but we both really enjoyed the food.
Price was moderate, portions very generous and staff was really great.
Only complaint is that they don't carry any mineral water and I always take this with my meals.
We will absolutely eat here again.
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 25, 2014

Pros: Very interesting good food, Good prices, Huge portions

Cons: The place is in a basement, Accessibility (stairs) and parking

Great food, friendly staff - Edit

I gotta say, I am now officially addicted to Ethiopian food. From the various beans and veggies to the amazing shiro, it's impossible not to love the food here.
The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, but usually not many around and you will wait a long time to get your food, so do not be in a rush.
I absolutely recommend this restaurant. Wonderful food, not expensive and you will leave very satisfied.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly staff, Not expensive

Cons: Slow service

Yummy Ethiopian food for Hamilton - Edit

It's great this place is in Hamilton since it was years since another one shut down on King Street. Their homemade spiced tea is great too without milk of course.

Pros: good food, location, quiet

Cons: pay for parking, meat is in the kitchen

Loved it! - Edit

After hearing glowing reviews from friends for years about Wass, I finally had the opportunity to eat there recently, and I was not disappointed.

I went with a friend and we shared the "Vegetarian" combo (which is all vegan) and added an order of Shiro Wat (the only one of the vegetarian dishes that isn't included in the combo). The server was very knowledgeable and pleasant, and even offered us a sample plate of Yetimatim Fit-Fit (chopped tomato and peppers dressed with oil and vinegar and mixed with pieces of injera) as an appetizer. Everything was delicious and the meal was more than enough for two.

I'll definitely make a point of returning at my next opportunity!

Pros: great food, friendly service, reasonably priced

Cons: so far from home for me

Delicious but deceptively expensive - Edit

I visited this restaurant for my first official date with my now fiancé. We happened to have my 2 young daughters along (I know, bad idea for a first date!). Anyways, the waitress seemed nice and helped order from the limited vegetarian menu. Since my daughters were uncertain we expressed desire to order 1 vegetarian platter to share between us and the girls and added a salad to ensure we had enough. The waitress said we would have plenty of food for everyone. The food was exquisite and although dove and I fed each other like we like to do we definitley decided we'd come back without the kids as it just wasn't the same. Our main issue was when we got the bill. Without explaining, the waitress had givin us the "family" platter which was double the price than what was on the menu. The platter also came with salad so we felt waitress could have specified that. All together with 2 mango juice and two teas our bill was $60!!! We didn't expect that and now question when we may return - too bad because we loved the food, atmosphere, manager, etc. . . .

Pros: yummy, yummy, yummy

Cons: deceptive menu, expensive

Great Place! - Edit

This restaurant has vegan options which are very cheap and delicious. The servers were friendly and helpful. We were there on a very busy Saturday night, yet they were very pleasant and accommodating regarding our dietary needs. It is well worth visiting for perhaps the best deal in Hamilton.

Pros: Vegan options, Helpful , Very cheap

Cons: Busy

Return to Hamilton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wass Ethiopian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1504 times since May 2010.