Sopa

• Vegetarian
Contact 0361-2765897

Jalan Sugriwa, Ubud (at Jl. Hannoman), Bali, Indonesia,

Mostly organic, vegetarian cafe in Ubud. Kid-friendly, has books. Offer papaya cake. Same owner as Sopa in Madrid.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Salad bar, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Indonesian

First Review by Perth Geoff

wholesome home cooked food - Edit

Nasi champur is amazing. Presentation was A+. The snake bite juice is delicious and kicks off the appetite. Miso soup with their own homemade miso is a bit thin but once they provided extra miso to mix it, it tastes good. Got some fried zucchini miso and fried potato/sweet corn but they were cold and so not as tasty. Staff was very polite and the main lady could speak good english. No air conditioning but once u sit down for a while you get used to it as its quite airy. Setting was very cosy.

Our fave in Ubud - Edit

Love this place! We've been coming to Bali for years and this is always our first and last port of call. Healthy Japanese-Balinese fusion food (the owner is Japanese), decent prices, laid back Asian style seating. We rarely have anything except for the Nasi Campur and drinks - they have a cabinet full of yummy vegetable dishes and you point to the ones you want. I generally get 5, my partner has nearly 10 different dishes. They arrive in hand folded bamboo leaf bowls with some local condiments. The taste profiles vary greatly day to day but often they need a bit of extra salt - ask if you need it (we never bother). One day we'll try some of the vegan sushi rolls, natto and taco rice...

Pros: Lots of vegetables, Cute interior, Local flavours

Cons: Taste profiles vary day to day

One of the best place to eat in Ubud - Edit

Sopa warung is a nice And cozy place where you can find a lot of vegan food for a very cheap price .
Love their nasi campur , their rolls And gyoza . Their salad is really fresh And the vegan Cakes amazing .
Worth a visit !

Tasty cake! - Edit

We had only a cake, so I can't comment the restaurant properly, however... The cake was really good! A mango coconut and chocolate lapis cake, 100% vegan and very yummy. Nice place, relaxed atmosphere. We loved it

Great Breakfast - Edit

Sopa= Soup in Spanish so funnily enough their menu is rather soup heavy. They probably have twice as many soups as other mains on the menu and the drinks menu is big too. But they also have a good selection of salad and snack types foods that aren't on the menu as well as cakes that aren't on the menu.

I had taco rice the first time I went which was good, I had mango pie too which was ok. I went back for breakfast and had tofu scramble and it was amazing, best tofu anything I've ever had. If you are going to go here for anything it really should be breakfast- unless your particularly keen on soup.

It's tucked down a side street but still reasonable to find and get to from the centre of town. Really pleasant, open air place.

great food and the desserts were amazing - Edit

As part of our VegVoyages Bali/Java trip, we had a group dinner at Warung Sopa. Great food and lots of it. Hard to choose a favorite. Everything was freshly made. We had two desserts which were delicious. The tamarind drink was SO good. Great food, I'd highly recommend it if you are looking for a great place to eat in Ubud.

Pros: great food, delicious desserts, large portions

yummy desserts - Edit

Our VegVoyages tour group took over pretty much the whole restaurant. We were all served the same soup, nasi campur plate and two desserts. It was all fantastic, especially the desserts. The nasi campur was all served in leaf bowls. There was so much food to eat. The tamarind drink was refreshing as well. I would have loved to order directly from the menu another day if I'd had the chance.

Pros: plentiful nasi campur plate, delicious desserts, clean and friendly

Amazing! - Edit

I fell in love with this place instantly. It's cozy, cheap, the service is nice. We went there every day while in Bali and I still couldn't get enough of it. Every day they had five different vegan pies! I would love to go back to Ubud just to eat there. :p

They also sell vegan soap without palm oil, it's very nice and the quality is very good.

4 cows, only because the place is not 100% vegan.

Pros: Cheap, Nice atmosphere, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Not everything is vegan

Would love to come back - Edit

I only had the chance to eat here once during our stay in Ubud but would definitely go there again next time.

I ordered a plate which included rice and the choice of several small dishes such as samosas, fried tofu, falafel etc. It was very good and filling. They also have deserts that are very tasty :)

Pros: Lovely food, Affordable, Nice staff

Cakes! - Edit

We went to Warung Sopa three times during our stay in Bali. It's a very cozy restaurant, ideal for relaxing for an hour or so while drinking coffee or juice. Their menu is rather small but everything we tried was delicious. The selection of desserts, however, was impressive. At that time they had maybe five different vegan cakes, all of them very tasty.

Although Warung Sopa is not 100% vegan (which is the reason why I give it four cows), they clearly indicate vegan dishes and understand what that means.

Pros: vegan cakes, nice atmosphere , inexpensive

Cons: not 100% vegan

Great Local Food - Edit

A great Warung in a comfortable village setting. Its located off the main strip but well sign posted. The food is indonesian with a bit of a japanese twist in some dishes. All great tasting. Reasonably priced (not the cheapest nor the most expensive) - we paid 110,000IDR for two people.

Pros: indonesian food, comfortable setting, free wifi

Cons: located away from the main strip

Fantastic Sopa! - Edit

We ate here on two occasions and really enjoyed the dishes on both occasions. The service is friendly, efficient and the dishes are cheap. Another positive is that I walked out feeling like I had eaten a quality balanced meal.
The highlight for me was having their "plate" which consisted of four different dishes (e.g. samosa, curry, spring rolls, salad) + rice for only 24K!
Their soups are also enjoyable and if you have dessert try their lime pie!

Pros: Quality food, Cheap, Tasty

Great desert and snack option - Edit

This inexepensive little cafe has a wonderful selection of pies, many of which are vegan. My personal favorite is snake fruit and lime. IF you've never tried snake fruit (local=salak) imagine an apple tart and you're pretty close to what this tastes like.

Pies range between 10-12K. They also have tapas options such as samosas (excellent--& it's not often non desis get samosas right!), quiche, etc each of which is about 5K. They do a "nasi campur" mixed place (small serving of rice with any number of tapas you want).

Overall there selection items are not really entrees but more like snacks so it's hard to fill up here if you're really hungry though. Would recommend this as more of a snack stop or desert stop

Pros: great vegan pies, inexpensive

Cons: have to take your shoes off

love it :-) - Edit

I love this place!! the atmosphere is very relaxed. You really feel good here and it's a nice place to stay longer. I like to read there (they've got a lot of books but most of them are in Japanese and in Spanish).
The food is really really good too!! and cheap (for Ubud)!!
I love their Taco Rice (the vegan version, without cheese and egg). The Nasi Campur is great (you can choose what you want)and the soups are simple and delicious.

You will return - Edit

What is maybe the most important thing in a restaurant? The food. And the food is really good here! Also the staff is friendly and it is a clean place. Would recommend!

Please note that the restaurant location is at least one block further north as opposed to the location on the map.

Pros: Food, Clean

Cosy, Relaxed and Delicious - Edit

If you're after delicious veggie fare in a lovely, relaxed setting then look no further. With a good variety of dishes available, including a lot of vegan options, there should be something for everyone here. Soups, salads, tofu/tempeh, savoury slices, fresh juices, and a wide variety of desserts, including pies and coconut ice cream (unfortunately not vegan).

We had nasi campur, where you're given a serving of rice and then get to pick 4 dishes from the display. There were around 15 different options on the day we went, and they all looked delicious, which didn't make for easy selection. There is also a menu of standard dishes, and a number of blackboards listing the daily specials. The cuisine is Indonesian fusion, and makes excellent use of tofu and tempeh (some deep fried, some not). We had a ginger based drink (homemade ginger beer I think) and a tamarind flavoured juice (I don't remember the other ingredients), both of which were excellent.

The vegan desserts are sensational - be sure to sample one of the delicious pies (lime, mango, or whatever they have on the day). We had two slices, and then got some more to take away.

Definitely one of, if not the best veggie place in Ubud for my money. Highly recommended.

Pros: Fresh, Vegan Desserts, Friendly Staff

Great vegan options esp dessert - Edit

This chilled little place is easy to find, friendly and has great food. When I arrived on my first visit, I think it was a Sunday, they were just finishing up from the little market they have selling fresh local produce.

I love lots of small tastes and plates, so for me the Nasi campur is an easy choice. Asian tapas really! I chose veg curry, tofu balls, tempeh in sweet soy, ratatouille, tofu & tomato salad. All served in little banana leaf plates. The tempeh was really crunchy and overly sweet. The homemade sambal is fantastic but tread with caution if your chilli tolerance is low. There is also fresh shallot and chilli relish.

Basically, I had this meal each time I visited. The variety changed slightly each day but not vastly. The tofu balls were great but for me the standout was the slice of tomato, onion and cashew pie that appeared on the second visit. Fresh, tasty and rich. Delicious vegan pie.

The homemade tofu was thick and rich too. Huge portion and the soy was not too overpowering as it can be. I may have overdone it with the soy products that morning for breakfast, if you see the picture I posted. All good though.

I don't usually crave sweetness but it's wonderful to see so many vegan options available for those who do. Vegan pies included: choc/coconut, snake fruit, lime/coconut and choc/toffee. I had the toffee one. Not overly sweet and the base was a little crumbly. When a staff member took my plate, he explained that it's really hard to get the base not to crumble and make it vegan. Not that i had mentioned it. I think it's a work in progress. Non vegan options included carrot cake and soy pudding.

Lots of soups available too: sweet corn, carrot, cauliflower, green pea and Japanese miso and veg. Staff were all lovely and helpful. Other nice touches included wooden straws, kids area, good wifi and a travel agent.

Try to visit early in your trip to Ubud as I think you will revisit to work your way around the menu. Enjoy :)

Pros: Great vegan options, Lots of tastes in one meal., Healthy & friendly

Amazing vegetarian Japanese and Balinesian food - Edit

Warung Sopa is an amazing find. A small menu, with every dish done well. We enjoyed the nasi campur (set of balinesian small plates) and the nasi goering (fried red rice). However truly exceptional is the fresh homemade tofu side, offered simply with an amazing soy sauce. I'd never had tofu this fresh and soft, but it's almost cake-like, and is truly a treat. Also exceptional is the tempeh manis (crunchy tempeh with a sweet sauce), available as a side or as part of a nasi campur.

Note: the street that it's on has a lot of dogs, some of which bark at passers-by and are unnerving at night. I'd advise going during the day first.

Pros: fresh homemade tofu

A nice place for a light meal - Edit

Good food if somewhat bland (veg food doesn't need to be bland and there were no condiments or sauces available - like in Japan, we are supposed to like it the way it has been prepared.) nice environment, felt like a food co-op /natural food place in a college town in the west.

The staff was ok but seemed rushed and maybe overworked. Not friendly though we were trying to be. Ah well... Still a good veg option in the middle of Ubud.

Pros: Quick, Inexpensive, Fresh

Cons: Bland

Amazing good, great service, can't beat this place - Edit

During our stay in Ubud, we came just about everyday. The staff were incredibly friendly and treated us like their family! Food was superb, especially the soups. Has WIFI and was a very relaxing place to be :)

Pros: Food, Staff, Location

Warung Sopa in Ubud - Edit

Very limited menu but it was all very tasty. Quiet place and a little out of the way but a pleasant decor and friendly staff. Seems geared towards Japanese judging by all the books in the book shelves.

Pros: good food, nice decor, friendly staff

Cons: limited menu

Cosy little nook - Edit

The food here was really fresh, and they make awesome vegan pies!! Vegan pumpkin pie, Vegan Coconut cream pie with chocolate base, and coconut icecream. It would have been good to have with with a cappuccino, unfortunately they didn't have any soy milk. They do however have a really good espresso machine. Free Wifi like most places too.

Pros: Great desert

Cons: No soy milk

Return to Bali Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sopa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3817 times since Aug 2010.