Walnut Cafe - Walnut St

Contact 303-447-2315

3073 Walnut St (at 30th St), Boulder, Colorado, USA, 80301

Serves meat, vegan options available. This cafe, with two Boulder locations, has a variety of vegan options. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-3:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by Munchi-chi

Great to have breakfast - Edit

Great place to get vegan breakfast. Well and quiet located. A lot of vegan options and substitutions for cheese and egg in their menu. The staff is well informed about vegan lifestyle. Nice outdoor seating too in sunny days.

Pros: Outdoor seating, A lot of vegan options

South Side Walnut employee checking in... - Edit

Ask us!

We've got many great vegan options that aren't listed on the menu.

Some of my favorites are:

Fish Tacos sub tempeh for the fish and 86 sour cream. The salsa 13 is to die for! Gotta get a side of guacamole too.

#7 sandwich 86 cream cheese and add Dijon mustard. Be warned though, many breads are not vegan. Try the rosemary olive oil focaccia.

Sautéed veggies are available as a side, and are an awesome mix of spinach, artichoke, roasted red pepper, tomato, mushroom, and red onion.

Substitute tofu or tempeh for egg in any dish and ask for soy cheese.

Potatoes are vegan and can make a great base for a scramble with the sautéed veggies. Add some ranchero salsa and guacamole, and you've got one fantastic vegan, soy-free meal.

Nowhere on the menu is broccoli listed, but we've got it! Ask and you shall receive.

Very Enjoyable! - Edit

My husband and I recently visited Boulder in May of 2012 (we went to school there and are moving back). We went to both Walnut locations. The first one we went to was the north side one. We loved it. While they don't have a ton of vegan options they had at least 3-5. My husband and I ordered different items and loved them. We didn't have a problem getting the vegan cheese substituted. The bhakti chai is DELICIOUS too! I can't wait to drink it on a regular basis. A couple of days later we went with friends to the South location. I felt like there was a little less vegan wise but I made up my own dish and half jokingly said they should make it a special named "Kabuki Jukie" our server loved the idea and said she'd try to make it happen. AWESOME! All in all we had a wonderful experience at both locations. Being vegan and currently living in Chicago (very vegan friendly) it would be nice to see Boulder restaurants add more vegan items to their menus and straight up vegan restaurants but I think it will happen in no time and can't wait! I highly recommend checking out The Walnut Cafe!

Pros: service, price, bhakti chai

Cons: # of vegan items, not using daiya , not using upton's seitan

Tasteless tofu - Edit

The Boulder Tofu Scramble, is not scrambled for one. Second, they don't add ANY flavor to the tofu. It comes with cheese, so you have to ask for no cheese. I've complained, in writing to the manager at the South location and was told they've never heard this complaint before. She must have forgot as I was told by a handful of vegans that they've complained too. IF you are vegan then you want to make sure you get the vegan sausage, not vegetarian. The potatoes are really good & plentiful. The temphe is good, but then again they really don't flavor that either. Temphe just taste better out of the package then tofu.
Since this is one of only a few places you can go in Boulder as a vegan to get breakfast, I'm glad it's there. But I really wish management would listen to suggestions regarding the tofu.

Cons: tofu

Return to Boulder Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Walnut Cafe - Walnut St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1867 times since Sep 2011.