Wagamama

Victoria Square, First Floor, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT1 4QG

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chain Japanese and Asian fusion style restaurant with some vegetarian options.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by CiaraSlevin

Mamma mia - Edit

The ubiquitous Asian franchise has a long standing outpost in the viccy centre.

Really not cheap for what it is, but freshly done. For my money, vegan options not very inspiring: fried noodles or salad. Veggie better and more options, panko battered sweet potato in honey curry is the best, get with a juice and yasi gyoza for the best meal, but say goodbye to £20 for 1 course for it.

There's another outpost in Dundonald should you prefer cheaper parking and quicker service.

Pros: Fresh and tasty

Cons: Price

Pricey London Japanese - Edit

Wagamama moved to NI in the 2010s I think and now has a few locations, mostly around Belfast.
It's a London staple, and has a good selection of Veggie meals and a menu which changes slightly every year or so.
They also have a special file containing info. on each dish's allergen and dietary content, so are especially good for Vegans (however their vegan offering is reduced from their veggie one, as you might expect).
Seating is usually unreserved, the Victoria square branch has benches only, You might want to take this into consideration if you don't like sitting right next to another party.
Food is not served all at once, so expect sides and main courses to come out at their own pace, especially so at peak times. This often meant I got my food well before or after those I was dining with.
I prefer their Veggie katsu. It's panko coated sweet potato and aubergine, with rice and Japanese curry sauce. It's generally good, however sometimes there's been a weird metal-ly tang to the aubergine, and things have come out not warm the whole way through.
My favourite Japanese dish - agedashi tofu - came out in a really bland miso soup, I was very disappointed when they started offering this.
The price point is also very high for the offering. Smoothies and juices especially, which are around 5 bucks each. A tip : green tea is free and you get unlimited refills.

Pros: Modern

Cons: Very pricey

Sublime - Edit

I love this place - I'm not gonna lie - totally love it. The food is delicious, the portions are good, the staff are great, the wine is fresh and light. I can't fault it. Not got a bad word to say. Wagamama also have a great range of vegetarian and vegan options on their menu. I'm particularly partial to the Yasai Katsu Curry, which consists of deep fried vegetables with curry sauce, rice, side salad and pickles. Sublime.

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wagamama closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.