06-63651991

Kita-ku, Kamiyama-cho 8-7, Nippo Sunrisetown Building, 4F, Osaka, Japan, 530-0026

Small LGBTQ+ friendly bar serving cocktails and other alcoholic drinks, vegan tapas and snacks. Note that not all alcohol is vegan. Larger groups should call ahead. Open Mon-Wed 7:00pm-1:00am, Fri-Sun 7:00pm-1:00am.

Categories: Vegan, Japanese, Beer/Wine

First Review by NicoNico

The friendliest LGBTQ bar in Osaka - Edit

This is the only vegan and openly LGBT friendly bar in Osaka so I was very excited to visit when I heard about it. The owner is one of the loveliest and friendliest persons I've met in Osaka. She is extremely interested in getting to know her customers and ensuring that they have a good time in her place. The food is tasty but I really like her fruit cocktails and umeshu (plum wine) the most. This is a good place to chill with your significant other and friends. I’ve always been so welcomed by the staff and customers here, this is without a doubt one my favorite places in Osaka.

Updated from previous review on 2018-04-22

Pros: Super friendly owner and staff , Delicious drinks , LGBT inclusive

Cons: None!

WaaGwaan 09 Nov 2017 - Dear YukiLim

Thank you very much for your lovely comment.
We are so happy that you liked our homemade Umeshu. We hope you can try this years' batch as it turned out rather well!
Also, please come back and share your knowledge on the plant-based life style and your amazing photos with us :)

Cheers,
WaaGwaan

PS. The area might look shady, but it's just a bit of a night life area, so don't worry. lol

Good place to talk to people - Edit

This is not a regular restaurant where you sit down and order without speaking to other patrons. It is a small bar and it is fun to talk to other people and the bar staff. I find Osaka people really fun and friendly in general and it is always really relaxing to be in Osaka.

I liked the concept of an LGBT-friendly bar that welcomes anyone regardless of orientation, and everyone was polite and respectful.

They have interesting pamphlets and books for various vegetarian and other causes.

I am not good at dealing with secondhand smoke so I arrived early in the night and left pretty early, as the place was getting full, so I did not wind up with smoke-smelling hair and clothes.

I got a Yoshida coffee with soymilk, soy meat and crackers, and an organic blueberry blended drink with some sort of alcohol in it. You could choose from various fresh fruits and alcohols for that drink.

The coffee was interesting because you had to grind it yourself by hand. The soy meat and crackers was interesting-a spiced soy meat served in a bowl with crackers on the side, and you are meant to spoon the soy meat onto the crackers to eat. I would like to try making that myself at home to serve at a party. I did not like the alcohol in the drink but that is my fault for saying I was okay with any alcohol.

They have a limited food menu with just a few choices, but I was so happy to find a vegan bar I did not mind. The building is not the classiest, but pretty much everywhere in Japan is quite safe so that was no problem.

I think going to a place like this is a good idea on a trip as it gives you a chance to connect with people on a deeper level and it gives balance to a trip that has a lot of sightseeing in it.

Pros: interesting menu items available, friendly staff and patrons , all vegan

Cons: allows smoking

WaaGwaan 15 Feb 2018 - Dear Rei

Thank you very much for your review!

I'm sorry that you didn't like alcohol I chose in your cocktail. I will choose other spirits or liqueurs next time.
I'm glad to know that you checked the pamphlets and I'm sure you liked the illustrated book:)
Thanks again for coming to WaaGwaan and hope to see you again:)

Cheers!

good food and drinks LGBT friendly - Edit

This place is more of a bar than a restaurant. Regardless the food is fresh and delicious! Best part is the staff and fellow customers are all super friendly. My friend and I chatted with everyone for ages and had a great time with nice drinks. Highly recommend this bar with food!

WaaGwaan 09 Nov 2017 - Dear BrandyEaster

Thank you so much for your fantastic review!
We are super glad to hear that you had a great time at WaaGwaan.
As you might have felt from the vibes at WaaGwaan, the customers are very friendly and amazing, including you :)
We hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Japan!

Have lovely one!

Great little hideaway - Edit

A cosy bar with charming staff and a good selection of drinks. Waagwaan has a welcoming atmosphere and some delicious items on their menu (the avocado smoothies are definitely worth a try). It's an ideal location for pre drinks, a catch up or a nice bite to eat.

Pros: Friendly staff, Cosy atmosphere , Good food

WaaGwaan 09 Nov 2017 - Dear mzayda

Thank you very much for your kind comment.
We are happy that you liked avocado cocktail!
Please come back anytime you are in the area and pronounce "peanut butter" again for me :P

Cheers,

The worst experience ever - Edit

Well, let's say that if you're not especially looking for good food, and that you don't mind about staying in a tiny smokey space with yelling drunk people (including 2 people from the staff) this place is made for you!
I didn't want to go there but since Negumi was overbooked we had to improvise and this place was the closest we can get. I should have known when I entered the room that things would go wrong. I was accompanied by a long time no see friend to whom I spoke about the benefits of a plant-based diet, a total fiasco...The two of us have ordered a different meal and after a long wait (around 30 minutes) they came with the one I ordered, it didn't look very tasty, 10 minutes later I asked the staff when my friends meal would be ready...guess what, they forgot it!!! 10 minutes later they came with something that didn't exactly look like as on the menu (same for what I've ordered). I payed 3600Yen for this. Finally I felt shame for this people. Even though I wish them good luck, but they will need serious improvements so I give them two stars instead of 1.

Cons: small portions, noisy and smokey, pricey

WaaGwaan 09 Nov 2017 - Dear NicoNico

We are very sorry to hear that you weren't happy with your experience at WaaGwaan.
and we appreciate that you wish us good luck.
We try our best to learn from your feed back and improve our service wherever we can.
Thank you very much again for coming and taking your time to give us your feed back.

Kind regards,

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has WaaGwaan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.