Vung Tau

Contact 408-288-9055

535 E Santa Clara St, San Jose, California, USA, 95112

Serves meat, vegan options available. A Vietnamese restaurant where the atmosphere is usually loud and lively. Offers a separate vegetarian menu upon request which includes several appetizers and main meals. Try the com tay cam clay pot rice which is fragranced rice cooked in a clay pot with veggie ham. The parking lot is limited and can be full during the weekends.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Lorraine Haataia

Great Service, Terrific Food - Edit

Today my husband and I tried this restaurant for the first time. We had a late lunch around 3. Despite the odd meal time on a weekday, there were several people in the restaurant which is always a good sign. There's some very nice greenery and bamboo outside and the interior is relaxing and comfortable. When we entered, I noticed a faint smell of bleach. I never use bleach at home so I'm very sensitive to the smell. Despite this, we decided to stay.

I had a vegetarian tofu/vegetable dish which was loaded with a good variety of fresh vegetables and mushrooms. The pan fried rice noodles were done just right, some with a little bit of tangy crispness. They were very accommodating adding ginger and garlic at my request. The portion of vegetables was very generous so I even had extra to take away. The sauce was tasty.

My husband had the clay pot with chicken, shrimp and rice. He liked it, but it was mostly rice with not much shrimp or chicken and minimal shavings of cabbage. He was a bit disappointed since he doesn't like to eat too much rice. He didn't say anything about it, however.

They don't have a bike rack so we parked our bikes in the back parking lot on a rail surrounding the dumpster. We did this because this is where other bikes were parked (probably belonging to employees). It would have been nicer if there was something near the front entrance to lock bikes to.

Overall I would recommend Vung Tau if you're looking for a good vegetarian dish. I forgot to ask if the vegetables were organic and/or locally grown.

Pros: friendly accommodating staff, vegetables cooked just right, relaxing atmosphere

Cons: faint smell of bleach (at first), no bike rack in front, mostly rice in clay pot dish

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vung Tau closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 907 times since Feb 2010.