Vtopia Cheese Shop and Deli

503-686-3839

1628 SW Jefferson St, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97201

Vegan cheese shop, opened July 2015 in Goose Hollow area. In its deli case are cheeses from its own line as well select others from vegan cheese companies. Offers cheese plates, melted panini, salads. Located in the same building as Homegrown Smokehouse and Deli. Open Wed-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Wed-Thu 5:00pm-8:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm. Closed Mon. and Tue.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out

First Review by KatieBatty

If you're vegan you have to go - Edit

Vtopia is awesome. The owner (I think) was super friendly and helpful (I was overwhelmed by my choices). They have so many unique cheeses.

We shared a mac n' cheese grilled cheese (you read that right!) and it was truly awesome. The Caeser salad was very good too. We had an excellent cheese board with 2 cheeses (though staff was so nice we got to try a little piece of a 3rd for free).

I can't say enough good things about this place. Even my non-vegan husband had great things to say.

Atmosphere is very casual.

Pros: Vegan cheese shop!!, They have mac n' cheese grilled cheese. Seriously., Super friendly

Yumm Cheese! - Edit

I sadly was not able to stay and eat when I visited Vtopia, but I did taste their available cheese and took home two blocks and they're amazing! I got the smoked gouda and also pepper corn.

Because it was the end of the week, the pickings were pretty slim on what they had left, but I was okay with the options I had.

The woman who was helping us was a little rude (though I've had this same experience with almost every serve person I've dealt with in Portland).

Pros: vegan cheese!

All the vegan cheese! - Edit

Love this place! Everything I've ordered here has been excellent!

Delicious dining - Edit

First visit to Portland, and dining at Vtopia was tops on my list of eateries, thanks to its Happy Cow listing. Arrived just before closing, so got take out. Everything was awesome, even to non-vegan travel companions.
Ordered the Grilled Mac n cheese panini, thanks to comforting aromas of the bubbly Mac n Cheese; along with a side of Roasted tomato Mac n Cheese for later. It is a cheese shop, after all. And yes, Vtopia delivered on both. The side was good & creamy hours later; you know it's good when it's good cold. The small green salad accompanying the panini was fresh, & I opted for the blood orange dressing, very nice touch. Used some of the salad greens to top the panini, just because.
Non-vegan dining companion enjoyed the Pepperoni melt, topped with avocado, remarked on the freshness of the green salad, & creaminess of the side of Mac n Cheese.
Dessert - cheesecake of course; moist, creamy deliciousness topped with a strawberry glaze.
Very friendly, knowledgeable service. On street parking out front, & on side streets.
Small, intimate indoor seating, with outdoor patio seating as well. Quaint neighborhood, close to freeway, convenient location. Looking forward to visiting again to try more of the tasty food.

Pros: 100% vegan, Affordable, tasty food, Friendly service

Cons: Limited hours

Great Food - Edit

I have visited here twice since visiting Oregon. My first experience was fantastic. There were some mixed reviews regarding service but I did not experience any problems. I ordered a 3 cheese platter (chefs choice) and a sparkling water. The service was efficient and the platter was fantastic! I would highly recommend getting a cheese platter. I had peppercorn Brie, chives and dill, and white cheddar with a sprinkle of pepper. All were amazing. The second time I came I got the fancy Mac since I had been wanting to try it since the first time I went and saw it on the menu. This time the service wasn't the best. First I was brought the wrong entree (it was actually the couple next to me that had orders it), then I never got my earl grey tea. Once I reminded them they did bring it out promptly but I never did get the side of soy milk for my tea that I had requested. I still very much enjoyed the meal and would gladly eat their again because the food and cheese is the best. Service and just be a hit or miss.

Pros: amazing cheese

Cons: hit or miss service

Wonderful food - poor servive - Edit

I used to make a special trip just to eat at this place, but since it changed ownership it's fallen off my list.

The food is still spectacular, but the service is terrible. They only have 1 waitress, who is consistently overwhelmed (And whenever I've been there, there's are only 3-4 other tables, I can't imagine what it's like when it's full).

The kitchen also only has one person in it, so the food (Even something as simple as a cup of soup) takes a long time to arrive. When it does, it's often sans napkins and water, and you have to wait another 10 minutes or so for those to appear - and those sandwiches are messy!

Their portions are also insanely large. It would be nice if they added the option of purchasing a half-sandwich.

I also noticed last week that all their plants are dying. It may seem like a small thing but it really changes the atmosphere in there.

Lastly, they do not have their new liquor license yet, but instead of putting up a sign, or taping a piece of paper over that portion of the menu, the waitress is left to (Impatiently) inform each customer why they cannot have the beer/wine they wanted.

Pros: Amazing Food, You can buy the individual cheeses to take home, Their Mac & Cheese is to die for

Cons: Slow Service, Bad Atmosphere, Portions are massive

Great cheeses - Edit

I've never had such a nice variety of gourmet vegan cheeses to try. We ordered a mac and cheese panini and a chef's choice cheese plate. The panini was delicious, and it was complemented perfectly with a chunky tomato soup/sauce. The cheese plate offered a wide range of textures and flavors. We especially enjoyed the aged cheddar, truffle chive, and raspberry.

Pros: Vegan cheeses, Variety, Good flavors

Mixed with Delicious! What an amazing treat of fabulous cheeses. - Edit

I'm mixed about this place. First visit was pretty good but also had pretty slow and relatively poor service. Second visit as i was leaving town was terrible. 55 minutes and no cheese plate...had to go catch a flight. Something i mentioned upon ordering. Water took 40 minutes and 4 requests. Left at the 55 minute mark with $10 on the table for my beer.

They need more staff and definitely a busboy and a competent kitchen. 55 minutes and still no cheese plate. Come on it's a few wedges. Rethink your business model.

I was looking forward to this treat while visiting Portland. All of my cheeses the first visit were cashew based fermented with probiotics. Some aged.

Nice to experience but terrible service...

Cons: Service, Waiting time

MUST TRY - Edit

This place was amazing. If I could've ordered everything on their menu, I would've. We sampled their cheese plate, and each of us got a sandwich, which came with a side salad. Just delicious. Will definitely be coming back here. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Pros: friendly staff , amazing food

Cons: none

VEGAN CHEESE HEAVEN - Edit

My boyfriend and I just vacationed to Portland last week and being vegan, Vtopia was one of the top places we wanted to check out. We ordered the 6 cheese board and our choices were feta, pepper corn brie, cranberry brie, reserve sharp cheddar, smoked Gouda, and the chive and dill. It was so hard picking a favorite because they were all so amazing and very unique from each other. Can't wait to revisit. They also sell some Vtopian cheeses at the vegan store Food Fight on Stark.

Pros: amazing cheese, so many options

Cons: expensive

Wonderful Artisan cafe - Edit

My partner and I went here the other day when we were craving cheese. The caramelized onion cheese is by far our favorite. I got the tomato mac and cheese which was Excellent and she got the club which also was delicious. The prices were fair and the service was good.

Pros: Delicious cheese

Cheese-tastic! - Edit

"This was the most cheese-tastic experience of my vegan life," is exactly what I blurted out when the waitress asked how everything was. And it was oh so good. I had a cup of the fancy mac n cheese (topped with aged white cheddar, bacon bits, and green onions), a cup of the soup of the day (creamy tomato) that comes with a side of cheesy bread and salad, and a piece of chocolate cheesecake. The portions were very filling and rich, but the cheesecake was tiny (still worth the $4). Their smoked gruyere and aged white cheddar did exactly what they promised: make vegans forget bad cheese substitutes forever. Look no further, the answer is at Vtopia.

Pros: Beautiful ambiance with fireplace, Friendly staff, Excellent cheese

Cons: Tiny cheesecake portion

omg amazing - Edit

I had the Mac & Cheese. Not only was it the best M&C I've ever had on so many levels, but definitely one of the top 10 dishes I've ever had. 100% recommend to anyone. The cheesecakes are small but really good!

Pros: taste, taste, taste

Cons: small cheesecake servings

Mac and Cheese!!! - Edit

The mac and cheese they serve here is the best I have ever had! It was so creamy and lovely and the seitan they used for bacon tied it all together perfectly. We got two sandwiches as well which were honestly just ok. Next time we go I think we'll share a cheese plate and get a bowl of the mac and cheese each. I also really liked the simple salad they served with my sandwich. I think it just has oil and some salt on it, but it was delicious! The only disappointment was they were out of the soft pretzels that day. Our waitress was very kind and attentive. I will be back!
Updated from previous review on Monday November 30, 2015

quality gourmet cheeses - Edit

I have a lot of admiration for these folks who support other craft vegan cheeses, local vegan businesses, and hugely animal sanctuaries like Green Acres.
I've yet to dine in, although I've gotten numerous blocks of their artisanal cheese. I made a dang good chili con queso over the stove top by melting a spicy brick with salsa. Oh my glob!
Also I just love to make grilled cheese and fruit sandies, like the Caramelized onion with fresh figs and spinach.
We make it a point to stop by once a month usually. I look forward to dining in with wine too.
Quality people, top notch product, and an open welcoming atmosphere.
All smiles.
Say Cheeze!

Great Veg Spot! - Edit

This place was fantastic! The service was great and food was well prepared and had great flavor! I highly recommend checking them out!

Yum - Edit

Friendly people and delicious cheese. We had a cheese tasting platter, Mac n cheese and chocolate peanut butter cheesecake. Everything was great. Looking forward to going back to try the paninis.

delicious! - Edit

We were welcomed by the friendliest staff. The food was tasty! Overall, a great experience.

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vtopia Cheese Shop and Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.