First Review by suzemiller

Yummy yeast doughnuts! - Edit

After reading the reviews on here I wasn't expecting much, but knew I wanted to get the Voodoo experience while we were in town. The line seemed long but we were out of there in about 25 minutes. We got a vegan dozen and for the most part I thought the doughnuts were great! They reminded me of Krispy Kreme which I had a lot when I was a kid. We were both excited to have creme filled doughnuts! Also, I thought the price was really reasonable! A dozen was $15.75! Here in nashville the one place that makes vegan yeast doughnuts charges $12 for 4! I would totally come here again. We actually had to make two trips because we went to the second location first and they only had two varieties of vegan doughnuts at the time. I'm glad we tried the other spot.

Pros: good doughnuts, selection, creme filled!

Cons: wait can be long

Iconic adventure; Worth trying at least once - Edit

Okay, so we've liked this place enough to have been here at least four times now. That said, they *aren't* the best tasting vegan donuts I've ever had (that might be Le Caves in Tucson, AZ). The flavors are always interesting and fun. When you get a "vegan dozen" (the best deal financially), you don't get to pick what you get. They have a lot (too many) ones with peanut butter for me. The iconic voodoo doughnut is the one to get. Expect to wait in line a minimum of 30 minutes. Cash only!

If you don't care which location you go to, try their second location as the lines are shorter and the inside is nicer.

Pros: Vegan choices, Open 24 hours a day, A Portland experience

Cons: Cash only; no change given; tips expecte, Long lines, no matter the time/day, Beggars waiting to ask for $ by line

Donuts ok, menu hard to understand - Edit

The menu lists quite a few vegan options, but they don't totally match what is on display. They also don't explain the difference between a fruit bun, raised bun, etc. The line is fairly long so you don't want to waste time at the counter asking questions. We got the peanut butter donut which was filled with jam and that was okay but really just tasted like a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Also got the maple glaze donut which was rectangle for some reason, and the glaze was quite nice but we've had better vegan donuts before.

Pros: Portland establishment vegans can enjoy, Quite a few vegan options

Cons: Menu hard to understand, Donuts weren't amazing

Best vegan donuts I've ever had - Edit

I've only had the pleasure of experiencing two other sources of vegan donuts so far -- the ones I've made myself that were baked, not fried, and the ones from Pepples (aka Donut Farm) in the San Francisco East Bay. The ones from Voodoo were the best by far. They are just like how I remember non-vegan donuts being. They also have MANY different creative flavors, all decorated in witty ways. I was very lucky when I went -- the wait was not long. I can see why this attracts all the locals and tourists! Definitely worth it.

always worth the wait - Edit

Excellent vegan donuts. We alway get a dozen assorted. Last October we renewed our wedding vows in front of twenty of our best new friends. Had a great time got the vegan bride and groom, didn't realize they'd be the size of 1 year old kids. Needless to say we ate them without complaint

Portlandians are so considerate to vegans! - Edit

This is the most famous doughnut joint in the city.
You are deemed to see your fair share of people carrying the emblematic pink box.
And guess what? They make awesome vegan doughnuts!

When you walk in (after a long wait) the carrousels inside feature, in their very top tier, beautiful, decadent, vegan doughnuts in all shapes and sizes. You can also buy tea to wash it down.

This is a good opportunity to have your fat day and still be vegan. Thank you Voodoo, I liked your chocolate/crème doughnut VERY MUCH!

Please consider serving good coffees and teas, you'd make a fortune!

It would have gone perfectly with a soy/almond latte....

Pros: Taste, Funkyness, Popular place

Cons: no good coffee, long lineups, no bathroom

There will always be a line - Edit

Expect a 20-45 minute wait. They sell vegan and non-vegan donuts, and they actually don't cost an arm and a leg. The selection is much more varied for the non-vegan ones, but if you can get a vegan one, they taste great too.

Pros: price

Cons: long wait, not all vegan

Hell Yeah!! - Edit

OMGoodness, it's a vegan doughnut. That should say enough! I crave the apple fritter. Never liked them until Voodoo Doughnuts! Awesome! I drive 40 minutes and fight parking and a line just to get a vegan apple fritter, so yes, I'd say I will rate this as excellent. If you're vegan and want a doughnut, this is it!!

Pros: Yummy, Quite a few choices, Keeps Portland Weird!!

Cons: They're doughnuts!, Always a line, have to pay to park, Cash only

okay, but not great - Edit

I was excited to see them at a street fair today and picked up a vegan donut with sprinkles. It was okay. LIke a little round cake covered in frosting with sprinkles, but not at all like a donut. Oh well. Tasty none-the-less and well-priced.

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Voodoo Doughnut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2046 times since Jul 2012.