VO2 Vegan Cafe

• Friend
  • Vegan
Contact 617-492-2233

1001 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 02138

Opened since July 2013, this vegan cafe is attached to the front of O2 Yoga Studio's Cambridge location. Specializes in a menu of cruelty-free casual fare which includes sandwiches, wraps, soups, pastries, coffee, tea, and smoothies. Also in the space is a retail store selling US-made products plus a wellness center offering massage, acupuncture, and chiropractic services. Take Red line to Harvard or Central T stop.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out

First Review by lemonswirl

yummy donuts! - Edit

I stopped by here to try their vegan donuts and cupcakes a little while ago. Cupcakes were a little dry but donuts were awesome and had a cool tie dye design on them! They also had many vegan products that I loved to look through.

Pros: Cheap, Yummy , Awesome Environment/Great for Breakfast

Cons: Not lots of parking , Cupcakes were a bit dry but they may have been lef

Great for Breakfast and Lunch - Edit

VO2 is perfect spot for a quick breakfast or lunch. The sandwiches are tasty and the staff is always friendly and helpful. The portions are not that big but the prices reflect that.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

My favorite breakfast - Edit

in the world. And I travel a lot. But every time I'm in Boston I take a trip to this nice place. I'm especially addicted to the Hyper Monkey Smoothie and the Banh Mimi Sandwich, but all the other things I tried so far were really yummy too.

Nice juice bar with food - Edit

Nice little place for lunch or breakfast. Juices and smoothies were very good and reasonably priced. Limited food menu, mostly sandwiches, nice looking pastries; but I usually avoid wheat. Great for snacks after yoga class, but not dinner. Pleasant atmosphere, lots of regular people/ staff.

Pros: juices and smoothies, snack bar atmosphere

Cons: lots of wheat dishes

Good veggie burger, disappointing chuna melt - Edit

I was really excited to go here, as it is the only completely vegan restaurant in Cambridge as far as I go. There are soups, smoothies, sandwiches, wraps, or there is the option of eating a sandwich as a salad, if you do not want to eat any bread. The veggie burger is really good but the Chuna Melt as a salad was very disappointing. I wanted to go for a healthy option, but the salad was really lacking flavor. The staff is incredibly nice but I did have to order at the counter and there weren't any knives. So I can definitely recommend the veggie burger for a quick bite, but it's not a great place for a healthy dinner or to really dine out. The prices were very reasonable.

Pros: great veggie burger, entirely vegan, friendly staff

Cons: no service at the table, no knives, chuna melt

I love this place - Edit

This is a great coffee shop where you can buy all sorts of goodies like vegan jerky, ethical chocolate, etc.

You even get to choose between coconut creamer, soy milk and almond milk for your coffee.

I highly recommend the tofu breakfast sandwich.

Pros: Friendly staff, Large windows, Great food

Excellent food and service - Edit

Finally made it in here during their business hours. It is in the front of a yoga studio so they are focused on the breakfast/lunch crowd of yoga people and presumably nearby businesses.

Had a great (vegan) cream of broccoli soup and also a salad. Both were delicious and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

They are only open for dinner on Fri/Sat, which is when I went, but they may be expanding their hours on other days to stay open until 6p not just 4p.

Pros: Great food, Helpful staff

Cons: not open late on weekdays

got breakfast - Edit

I was pretty excited on a Sunday morning while staying in Cambridge to walk over to 02 Vegan for a breakfast sandwich given the high ratings it has received on Happy Cow. I was equally disappointed with my experience. The breakfast sandwich consisted of over cooked tofu on a bagel (they did not have French Bread) with veganaise which I requested to have omitted. Upon leaving, I politely took my dishes to the counter where I was curtly schooled that I did it wrong. There was a bussing station where I was to take my dirty dishes. When asked how my meal was, I told the truth (tofu over cooked and I asked for no veganaise). The staff person said "oh yes the tofu was over cooked, we have to make a new batch!" I was dumbfounded at that point. The staff knew that the product was substandard but served it anyways. In addition, this small cafe allows for voices to carry, a fact that the staff appeared unaware of as they loudly discussed. art, history and the finer points of veganism (eg. is it ok for hunters to kill their own food etc). I should have turned around and left when upon my arrival into the cafe the staff person announced 'at' me "This is a vegan cafe. Everything is vegan". I responded with a friendly "Oh that's good 'cus that's why I'm here!". The place is after all called 02 Vegan and the word vegan is splashed everywhere inside the cafe.

KelvinKillmon We are sorry you did not have a positive experience during your visit. After your order was prepared, it came to our attention that one of our new employee trainees had overcooked the tofu that morning, and we took steps to rectify the situation. If you would like to come back we would be happy to prepare something else for you free of charge.

As for our use of the word 'Vegan', we are in an area of Cambridge which receives very heavy foot traffic, and people often come in requesting Lattes, Ham and Chicken Sandwiches. We try to be clear to avoid confusion. Our cafe is small, and we do employ a diverse group of people (not all of whom are vegan themselves). I am sorry if you were offended by their discussion of art, history and food ethics. Unfortunately there is no way for us to soundproof our open kitchen; the cafe was designed so that our customers could view the preparation of their food and feel more involved in the process.

A Must Visit! - Edit

Great food, great people, all vegan cafe heaven in Cambridge! I ate there every day I was in town. So great to have vegan cream cheese and vegan breakfast sandwiches in the morning and other hearty sandwiches for lunch. Wonderful and friendly service in this oasis with great vibes!! Loved it! If you are in Cambridge it is a must.

A Vegan Goddess! - Edit

You will finding nothing but warmth and happiness at this cafe. Wonderful recipes that bring back childhood memories. Perfect for a quick snack or full meal that will leave you feeling at peace for the rest of the day! I definitely recommend to anyone who a. is a vegan or b. doesn't believe that vegan food can be just as satisfying as non-vegan food!

Pros: Excellent cakes and smoothies, Hot sandwiches , Friendly atmosphere

Cool smoothies, sweet treats, and warm welcomes - Edit

I was really pleased to see that VO2 opened. They carry a yummy selection of treats (including mini creme filled cupcakes!) and their house-made smoothies are delicious. They are adding sandwiches as I type this and the sample taste they offered me today was delicious. The best part of VO2 though is the staff--they are really friendly and welcoming. Definitely a great place to meet up with friends for a treat (before or after a yoga class since the cafe is connected to O2 Yoga) and some good conversation.

Pros: Healthy options available, Quiet..music isn't too loud, Good selection of treats if you want one

Return to Cambridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has VO2 Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11139 times since Nov 2012.