Vleischerei

Contact n/a

Zschochersche Str. 23, Leipzig, Germany, 04229

Offers vegan fast food such as vöner (vegan kebab), gyros, various sausage and burgers, fries. Based mainly on soy and seitan, prices are decent, good sized portions. They make their own sauces. Also selling a small selection of vegan snacks including chocolate and wine gums. Open Tue-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri 12:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sat 1:30pm-12:00am, Sun 1:30pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine

First Review by celeste

Tourist view: Why, yes, you can get currywurst! - Edit

When you are walking past all the currywurst and thuringer and then get to the cool looking vegan joint in Leipzig that serves the vegan versions — sigh with delight, settle in and enjoy! Lekker essen, indeed!
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 22, 2016

Pros: Hip location, Currywurst, Tasty

Amazing vegan fast food - Edit

This place was amazing - they have a great range of fast/junk food - döner kebabs, hot dogs, burgers - in a laid back atmosphere. I had a huge, delicious döner with a plate of chips and vegan mayo. Really worth checking out if you miss kebabs or other meaty dishes.

This place rocks! - Edit

It can be terribly hard for vegans or vegetarians to find a place where you just can eat greasy and nice fast food that you loved before you changed your diet. Sometimes you're just craving fries, steak alternatives or the taste of steak and meat in general, good creamy sauces, burgers and all that jazz but that is so hard to find. A lot of vegans and vegetarians have to deal with a big problem and that is that a lot of restaurants are overpriced and the meat and dairy substitutes taste bitter and like plastic, just simply unenjoyable but once you bought it, you can not return it and that is just depressing. Bad vegan/vegetarian restaurants are still representing our community and for anyone who is new to the life style, that can be the end before they even started. "Vegan food tastes like that? Ew! I will never go vegan." A lot of my non veg/vegan friends have had that experience unfortunately but Vleischerei isn't like that! I take a lot of my friends there, besides my boyfriend none of them are vegetarian or vegan and they love the vegan meat, the love the food there and so do I. The place really fulfills my fast food cravings. I love the gyros and stake plate and the burgers rock. I do not really like the Bratwurst but that's just me, it has this typical saitan bratwurst/frankfurter taste, like the ones by Alnatura and I do not like the taste but other than that, I love it.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 28, 2016

Updated from previous review on Sunday February 28, 2016

Pros: Great meat substitutes , Very good price!, Delicious meals in general

Cons: People are judgemental of your looks, Like "You aren't vegan or a leftists!", That can be very uncomfortable

Vleischerei rocks! - Edit

There is not much to say except that Vleischerei is simply an awesome venue.
Being endemic to the punk and squatter scene not prim there, instead you'll find secondhand but comfortable interior, a causal atmosphere, a good attitude and people with colourful hair with friendly dogs off-leash.
In terms of food you'll find lots of fatty fast food dishes. Most of them have some salad or greens in it, so it isn't completely unhealthy, nevertheless rather something to eat once in a while than daily.
Whilst their vöner could be better in my opinion, the gyros plate is quite tasty. They use really great vegan mayonnaise by the way.
The three times I was there it always took a while for the order to be ready; disappointingly the food was rather lukewarm then.
Prices are reasonable.

Pros: good attitude, open late

Cons: food cooled off

Don't miss it! - Edit

I love this place!

Every meal I ate there, was a great one. And visit the Vleischerei really often ;)

The best thing is the gyros with homemade fries and garlic sauce, but every burger is a highlight, too.

There is not that much space to sit, but in summer, everyone eats outside on the street itself, or in the little park across the street.

They play mostly punk musik, but that referres to the working staff.

Don't miss it!

Butcher's - Edit

Vegan version of kebab and burger bar. Tasty and filling food, lots of interesting sauces. Great frites. The place is small and quite popular so it can be crowded and noisy. You can take the food out.
I've had plate of gyros, frites and side salad and I was very satisfied

Pros: taste, price, size of dish

Cons: small place

Vegan fast food at its best - Edit

If you feel like savoury junk food, this is the best place to go! Tried the gyros which was quite delicious (and I found it also very authentic) with salad and fries. The selection of local beers and soft drinks complements the meal well. Again, not healthy, but going local and not supporting the big US chains. Well done! And very cool alternative vibe as well.

Pros: Good vibe, Alternative

Good food, great vibe - Edit

I will always support and enjoy a vegan restaurant playing good punk music. Even when the employee couldn't understand what I ordered over the music.

I went here with a friend recently, and she ordered a vöner (kebab). I ordered a "vöner with hummus and fries with ketchup, without mayonnaise". I guess I didn't speak loud enough over the music, because all I got was fries with ketchup and mayonnaise. When I went back to the counter to order a 2nd time, I had to repeat myself to speak over the music.

That was honestly the only set-back about this place. Otherwise, the food was great, the atmosphere was great. I hate to say anything like 'the music was too loud,' because I really enjoyed the music.

If you drink, they also have a selection of local beers and wines, along with lots of local sodas.

Prices are very good, too.

Last - I'm not sure what people who went to a vegan fast food restaurant expected to find that was really healthy. This place serves vegan versions of things like currywurst and döner kebab and fries. You know what you are going to see on the menu when you go here. If you're looking for something healthy, this is not a place for that. If you're looking for your vegan indulgence a few times a month, this is a great place for it.

Pros: All-vegan, Good music

Cons: Couldn't hear my order over music

Vegan Indeed. But is it healthy? - Edit

Vleischerei, a pun on the German for "butcher", is a fast food joint that serves vegan versions of German and Turkish standards, including steaks, sausages and döner kebab. The mock meats are grilled and placed in a pita or on a plate, together with sides. The portions are fairly large and the prices low. Order at the counter, and receive the dish to consume quickly at the tables and bar stools or take away. There's no table service. The place is well-trodden and the staff friendly if hurried.

However, just as in the standards they imitate, the dishes are far from wholesome. As vegan as they might be, they are often dripping with fat, heavily processed and thus lacking in nutrients.

Overall: good for the occasional vegan sin, but health seekers will stay away.

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Heavily processed, Few healthy choices, Well-trodden

Vleischerei Leipzig - vegan fast food restaurant - Edit

Vleischerei is a good vegan fast food restaurant in Leipzig. The menu has got a lot of meals to offer from vegan gyros, currywurst, burgers, good fries made from organic potatoes, kebap. Soja steaks and all that. It's really delicious!!!

They also offer a lot of vegan drinks, chocolates, sweets. Also tobacco, papers and other useful stuff.

The prices are not really low but fair and you get a lot for your money, so it's absolutely ok.

The place is made very nice and cosey, you can see they made it with love - a lot of wood, coloures, good seats, lights.

The only thing is (like at the Deli place, too) it smells quite hard of hot fat and that. More as in a normal Döner shop. So If they would improve that situation, it would be much more cosey and nice to keep sitting longer (and have a few drinks or so) than finishing the meal. This is the only critical point. If you don't want to smell like a Pommes-Bude you have to change cloths after the visit.

It's a good fast food restaurant but it's not a real restaurant. If you are after a really really god meal and want to invest triple money you should go to the "Zest". there truly is a difference and that's why I don't give the full points here.

Pros: Good menu, Nice Place, Good taste

Cons: Smell

Makes a good burger - Edit

This place saved me,when my husband and I found ourselves in Leipzig one weekend. This place was the closest to where we were staying and I was painfully hungry as I was about 6 weeks pregnant. We both ordered their burger with all the fixins and it was really wonderful. A bit too big,especially since we decided to each get fries,but it was really satisfying (though I my opinion could have been a bit colored. I was really that hungry). The homemade mayo and other toppings were really good,though I will admit,when I had a small piece of the burger sans the toppings,it wasn't all that interesting,so I guess the condiments really made the burger. I do wish that one could have a whole wheat option for the bread ( I REALLy do not like white bread),but then I wish that about most places outside of NYC (NYC is the one city where they offer whole wheat even in hot dog places-think Criff Dogs). We didn't go back since it was quite unhealthy and heavy,but I was really glad for it,non-the-less. Do wish we had a place like this back in Copenhagen (though I wish for many things here. I'm such a spoiled ex-New Yorker),just to have the option to eat there once in a while.

Pros: Filling, cheap, tasty

Cons: not many options , not all that healthy, no healthy options

Return to Leipzig Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vleischerei closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4395 times since Jun 2009.