First Review by Lennaert

Tasty, but a little bit expensive for self-service - Edit

The food at this place is always tasty and fresh. Every month or so they change the cuisine/ type of food what the offer, so they keep it interesting to eat here.
You have to serve yourself at the restaurant; get your own plate, glasses and cutlery. So if you want a restaurant experience, you're at the wrong place. It's not a place where you take the time to continue your conversation when you're finished eating.
The price of the food doens't comply with the self-service. I think it's a bit on the expensive side.
The staff is nice and takes the time to explain every dish. The food is always vegetarian and at least halve of it is vegan.

Pros: No ordinary dishes, Cosy/ intimate interior, In city centre

Cons: A bit expensive for self service, Not a restaurant experience

Good, but expensive for what it is - Edit

I recently came to this restaurant in the evening with my wife as we were traveling through Haarlem.

I agree mostly with the reviewer before me, that the food is good and the owner is nice, etc. They charge you by the weight of your food in a buffet style set-up, and then your dish goes in the oven for a re-heat. Despite being pre-prepared, the food is good.

What bothered me was the price. This is a self-serve place. You have to go through the line and fill up your own plate with food. This food is then re-heated, because it is pre-prepared. You seat yourself, get your own silverware, serve your own water, etc. There is no wait service, or anyone to check on you. All this is fine, but after my wife and I had each eaten just one plate of food for a normal dinner, we had a bill of over 30 Euros to pay.

I can get behind an informal, serve-yourself, buffet-style restaurant, as long as it is respectively cheap. I can also get behind fancy restaurants with great service that are expensive. But I can't see why a do-it-yourself buffet such as this one should be so pricey. Good food, way overpriced.

Pros: Tasty food, Home-like environs

My birthday party - Edit

Went to this place with my family to celebrate my b-day last friday. It's a nice and cosy place with a max capacity of 15 persons. Owner Femke was very friendly and a wonderful experienced and excellent cock who went to great lenghts to make us welcome. Usely you just make your own plate from the different pre cooked fresh food which will consist of a variety of dishes from two different cuisines. This time it consisted of mediterranean and african cuisine. Changes every week. After you have made your plate it will be weighed and you pay for it by the 100 grams set price. Femke pre installed and served our table tough and we had a 3 course meal for a fixed price. All the food is organic and i particularly enjoyed the spinach rhubarb from the mediterranean and the seasoned pumpkin from the african cuisine. Also the carrot soup for starters was really delicious. You can help yourself to extra's from the saladbar and the fridge as well as make your own coffee, deserts and spoons and knives etc cause the place is supposed to make you feel like in your own home. This all gives it a very relaxed and informal way while enjoying some fantastic food. Definitely a must see place for all vegetarians who visit Haarlem especially cause it's the only all vegetarian restaurant in this city!

Pros: informal living room atmosphere, all organic fresh food, very friendly staff

Cons: maybe to much to choose if that's a con , no outside of nice outside view, closes at 9 PM

Return to Haarlem Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has VlamIndePan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2523 times since Aug 2007.