Viva Chapata

Contact +34-915301093

Calle del Ave Maria 43, Madrid, Spain, 28012

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional Spanish food with also veg versions. Sample veg items include Spanish omelette wthout egg, vegan pizza and arepas, sandwiches, and veggie/vegan burger. Mon-Sun 1:00pm-1:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by MollyRosaMariposa

Excellent - Edit

Normally, when traveling, I try to solely visit vegan restaurants, and I can't quite remember how I ended up here, but on my trip to Madrid March '15, I did, and I am so glad I did!

The service was very friendly, although they wouldn't allow me to split up the tapas for 2-plate. I got it just for me instead and it was so much food! And so good! I ate as much as possible, and when I couldn't eat more, I had the rest to go and it made for the perfect night snack.

Will be back when visiting Madrid again.

Pros: Excellent tapas, Very friendly service

Good vegan and vegetarian options - Edit

They have vegan burgers and "tostas" as well as salads and other stuff. Vegan and bio beer and sodas also. Good prices and big portions.

Pros: Really tasty vegan options, Big portions, Good prices

Cons: Usually full at night, Not so many vegan options

Reasonable - Edit

This little bar has a lovely vibe, friendly staff, and a big vegan range of classic Spanish tapas.

The tapas we ordered were, unfortunately, very heavy and served with no style at all. One, for example, was just deep fried eggplant thrown on a plate with sauce squeezed on top. And they were unfortunately out of the dish I'd been lost looking forward to (croquettes).

I enjoyed being able to try traditional dishes that I've not been able to eat in Spain, and I loved the atmosphere. I probably wouldn't go back, though.

Pros: Traditional Spanish tapas, reasonably priced, lovely staff and atmosphere

Cons: Oily and heavy food, bland presentation, some menu items unavailable

Super vegan friendly - Edit

Went there and asked for a Natacha Vegana to go. Didn't have to wait much, and I had a look at the menu. It had many vegan options clearly indicated, as well as vegetarian, indicated with a different symbol.

Natacha was good and abundant. Good amount for its price.

Will go back again.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, everything clearly marked.

Me Encanta!!! - Edit

Riquísimo, excelente ubicación, trato inmejorable!!! Precioso rincón para compartir una buena comida y pasar un rato agradable. Gran surtido de opciones veganas, vegetarianas. Perfecto para compartir con los amigos.

Pros: La Variedad En La Carta!!!! , Riquisimas Hamburguesas

Carta vegana y Servicio de calidad - Edit

Viva Chapata es la mejor opción si estás en la zona centro de Madrid. Su carta vegana y vegetariana presenta una diversidad de platos elaborados con mimo y con alimentos de primera calidad. Y por supuesto el servicio y la atención a la clientela es excelente haciendo de Viva Chapata un espacio acogedor donde comer muy bien y disfrutar de un ambiente cálido y divertido.

Original y ambiente agradable - Edit

Uno de mis sitios preferidos de Madrid. Tienen una carta variada, con opciones veganas y no veganas ideal para compartir unas tapas con amigos veganos y no veganos. La relación calidad-precio es muy buena, y siempre que he ido la atención ha sido exquisita. 100% recomendable si se busca un bar original sin precios que se suban a la parra.

Pros: Variedad de la carta, Amabilidad de los camareros

Cons: Que no haya más bares así en Madrid

Tasty tapas in Lavapiés - Edit

Nice place in Lavapiés with a fair list of tasty vegan tapas: hummus, mushroom croquettes, vegan Spanish omelette, sandwiches in ciabatta, small vegan pizzas, etc. Not the most original and exciting tapas of the world, but there are enough to choose and they taste great. A good bar to go with non-vegan friends and share the order.

Pros: fair range of vegan tapas

Cons: a bit pricey

Great place! - Edit

Great little place, with loads of vegan options. Everything was super tasty, and clearly marked on the menu, which made ordering a breeze compared to other experiences in Madrid. And there was plenty of gluten free options for me too. Service was nice enough, though they were rushed off their feet on a Saturday night, but they were efficient and the food came out promptly. Will definitely be back!

Buenas Opciones Mal Servicio. - Edit

Buena carta veg-friendly con.opciones diferentes para elegir, pero recibimos un trato bastante lamentable desde el primer momento en el que entramos. No creo que volvamos.

Carnivore bar with vegan products - Edit

Small bar near to Lavapies square with Mexican style. They serves meat but they have some vegan options as "tortilla de patata", etc.. Is not expensive.

Pros: Cheap prices

Very veg*n-friendly, tasty & authentic food - Edit

Viva Chapata is one of the best places in Madrid to eat with mixed company (veg*ns and carnivores). The owner is very friendly and accommodating and speaks English, and the menu has many vegan and lacto-veg options, both of which are clearly marked, making it very easy to order.

I had the arepa vegana, which was very tasty, as well as a vegan tortilla (eggless omelette with potato), which was served with a nice tomato sauce. The salmorejo (cold tomato soup) is also exceptionally good here.

They don't serve fresh juices, but there's coffee with soymilk.

Sidewalk seating is a plus when the weather is nice.

Pros: Plentiful vegan options clearly marked, Very friendly service, Indoor and outdoor seating

Cons: No fresh juices, Not completely vegetarian

Yummy, Friendly.... - Edit

A great place to share with friends of all chosen "diets"...

I accidentally discovered a whole load of vegan options on the menu here last night (I'm sure they're a new/recent addition) when I was actually looking for another vegan place I couldn't find (got the street name mixed up)... so ended up here by chance and was so happy to see a selection of vegan options mixed up, as well as vegetarian options, in the menu of pizzas/chapatas/arepas/burgers/salads.

I was really excited about the vegan arepa (corn-based "round", typical from Colombia) since I frequent many Colombian restaurants and can never find a vegan option on the menu and have to eat them at home only. A whole load of extras piled on... however, I ended up with the tosta (toasted) which was a great choice, small but piled high with toppings and definitely filling. Good value too, at 4,6€ (terrace price)

It was the first time I've ever tasted vegan cheese, which was very tasty although I think it was a little strong for me so I may not choose that particular cheese next time. There is also vegan mozarella on the pizzas etc. so I'm looking forward to trying that on another occasion.

Also vegan mayonaise, and I think vegan tuna were options on some of the other choices.... I was eyeing up the chocolate cake for dessert but alas the euros didn't stretch - so it's just another great reason for me to go back again! Which will be as soon as I get some more money. I'm so happy to have found this great simple place in Lavapiés, and where I can also eat with friends who are not up for trying something vegan. For once I don't have to make do with chips, bread and tomato or simply nothing because that's all that's vegan on the menu!!!

Pros: reasonable vegan/vegetarian selection, tasty, friendly

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Viva Chapata closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3062 times since Sep 2012.