Vital

Contact 57-5420-9594

Calle 15 Unit 3-122 (at Carrera 3), Santa Marta, Colombia,

Adventist-run vegan-friendly restaurant and health food store. Set lunch starts at 11:30am and includes soup, rice with several veggie dishes, salad, and fruit drink. At other times, order from the menu. Also sells whole-grain breads, grains and more. Take-out products like pizza and lasagna comes with cheese, be sure to inquire for vegan options. Open Mon-Thu 8:00am-6:30pm, Fri 8:00am-3:00pm, Sun 9:00am-2:00pm. Closed Sat and Holidays.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Western, Take-out

First Review by Scrablero

great veg food in santa marta town - Edit

I ate here a couple of times. mostly for lunch and also breakfast before we went to tayrona. smaller selection for breakfast. picked 4 items and cost me 12,500 with juice. lunch was 8,500 for the largest size option - any 4 items and juice. quite a lot to choose from and great flavours. the girls working there are pretty grumpy. one guy who was there was really friendly and helpful (maybe owner/boss). eat in the room to the right of the counter as I found it much cooler.

Pros: good value good selection for lunch location clos

Cons: dining spaces can be hot staff can be moody

Yummy! - Edit

Very nice. I tried some very fresh vegetables that I had never tried before. loved the pizza. tastes like my mums home made dough! super cheap for the food try everything. one guy that worked there was really nice but the other staff weren't :-/

Pros: yum lots of options absolutely everything is nice.

My favorite veggie place in Santa Marta - Edit

The food is good, and the prices are very reasonable. They have a big steam table, and you can actually look at the food and point to what you want. While you are ordering, they will encourage you to get soup and other items, but remember you have to pay for each item you choose. (This is not a set meal as you'll find in most of Colombia). If you order at least 3 items, your meal comes with a free juice drink. So I usually ordered 3 items, which costs 6.000-7.000 pesos as of January 2014. They are open for lunch, but also for dinner until 630pm. For dinner, don't get there any later than 600pm, as they start putting the food away. I paid 8.500 at lunch for 4 items plus juice drink. The people that work there are really nice. They are connected to a vitamin store right on the corner. They told me they are only open until 100pm on Sunday so don't get there too late. There's another dining room on the other side of the wall with additional tables, so don't despair if the first dining room you see is full. I would give them 5 cows for value and food quality. Warmly recommended.

Pros: Good flavors, Interesting selections of items, Good value

Popular With Colombianos! - Edit

We loved this bustling lunch spot that seemed to be very popular with Colombianos. We think we were the only international tourists there. We got an immense amount of food for just about $4 each and were able to select which dishes we wanted. I had a soup, salad, rice, beans and grape juice.

Pros: Low Price, Mix & Match, Not Touristy

Cons: Busy/crowded, May Be Hard To Find A Table

high carbs & fake meat - Edit

I ate here 2 or 3 times, my first time was a sunday & it was only the main & juice, no soup. The 2nd say was spagetti,rice & veg with veg soup & juice. They had soya mince aswell but was gone when i arrived at 1.30pm. This place was only average but not many other choices in main area. I bought some quinoa to cook which was handy as you cannot get it in supermarket & i tried some cake & arepa which were ok too.Give this place ago & see what you think.Pity there wasnt more healthier options, staff were friendly though.

Pros: in centre, friendly staff, cheap

Cons: needs healthier proteins

It's ok - Edit

I ate here twice. The first time was on a Sunday and they had only had fried rice and salad consisting of tomato and white onion. I thought it was a bit average.

Then I went back the next day when they had the full menu del dia on offer and it was much better. They like their fake meat here, so beware of that.

As far as vegan food in Santa Marta goes, this place is your best bet. It won't be the best meal you ever have in South America, but it will be far from the worst.

Pros: Good value, Open on Sundays

Mostly bland food, but good variety - Edit

We got a lunch plate which had unseasoned yellow potatoes, decent falafel, some great fake ham, bland yellow lentils, and decent stir-fried vegetables. The nispero soy milkshake was excellent, the guanabana juice was watery. So the food wasn't amazing, but it was nice that they had tons of vegan options, and it was cheap.

Pros: Cheap, Variety, Nispero Soy Milkshake

Cons: Bland

Great! - Edit

I sadly only made it here right before they closed, so they only had leftovers from lunch. I almost cleaned them out as I tried many different dishes, though. Loved their vegan tamales with TVP (a bit heavy on the oil though). The vegan deep-fried potato balls were also really tasty. Wasn't a fan of their lentil patties (?kind of like falafels) but they travelled well. In short, tasty food although not the healthiest. Mostly veganized version of South American dishes. I wish I could have tried their lunch but they have great take-away options.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Diverse

Cons: Not very healthy

Fantastic! - Edit

What a fantastic treat this place is and a great break from the usual Colombian vegetarian fair. Even the locals seem to love this place. The vegan set lunch will fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied. They also sell everything from veggie meats to vegan cheese, which are very hard to find in South America. I plan on eating here as much as a can while visiting Santa Marta. This place is not to be missed.

Pros: Large portions, Friendly service, Very innovative

Cons: NA

delectable - Edit

Santa Marta sits on Colombia's Caribbean coast to the east of Cartagena. Vegans/vegetarians will be delighted to find this restaurant/health food store conveniently located in the center, near the beach. Though they are open for all 3 meals, I have eaten only their "set lunch" ($8,000 COP), which includes soup, a main plate with brown rice and several veggie dishes, plus salad and a drink. The meal is dished up in front of you so you pick and choose what you want.

By South American standards, the food is quite good, more sophisticated and flavorful than in most places. There's seating for about 15 people and at lunchtime the place fills up with locals, always a good sign. The set lunch is over when the food runs out, as was the case the first time I went, so get there early!

Apart from the regular meals, they offer a variety of prepared items, from sandwiches to pizza, for carry-out.

They sell "whole-grain" baked goods, including bagels, though I find that in Colombia this often means white flour mixed with wheat germ and caramel color! An attached vitamin/mineral shop sells supplements.

(Please note that Govinda's no longer serves meals to the public, so Vital is the only veggie place left in Santa Marta.)

Pros: great food, reasonable prices, friendly staff

Cons: food runs out sometimes!

Return to Santa Marta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vital closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1526 times since May 2012.