VITA - Hipolito Yrigoyen

Contact 43420788

Hipolito Yrigoyen 583, Buenos Aires, Argentina,

Natural food store with vegetarian restaurant, this one is in downtown. Serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, organic coffee, cake and bakery foods. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by e37e

the worst place i ever eat in 15 years - Edit

i can't believe yet that a place like this serves a food like that i ate.
i would write a long review about this place but in shorts terms, THE WORST RESTAURANT EVER.
The place was hot as hell;
The employee was with a bad humor;
But let's talk about the food. The food was heated BY MICROWAVE, i never saw a restaurant heat food in microwave, and even after that the food was cold, in other words, you have the risk of food poisoning.
Its looks like hospital food, with no flavour, no soul.

Cons: FOOD HEAT BY MICROWAVE, EMPLOYEE WITH BAD HUMOR, FOOD WITH NO TASTE AT ALL

good value vegan food - Edit

We ate here multiple times in BA, staff can be rushed/rude if it's busy but understandable great pumpkin pie, lasagne, and of course potato wedges! V reasonable price for the setting. And the vegan cake slices are pricey but so delicious!

Just praise for this place - Edit

Before arriving to Argentina, I didn't have big expectations from the most notorious meat eater country in South America, so went I visited VITA, I was really pleased to find such a good place, with so many options, with the offers of the day so well displayed, very nice people behind the counter. I also noticed that during lunch time it gets quickly busy, another good sign.
I have to say that not all the meals were on spot, however, that's the view of an spoiled European citizen were vegan food is way far more developed and spread, yes, some meals are not perfect, but after trying other vegan options in Buenos Aires, this place deserves all recognition.

Pros: Very vegan, plenty of choice, centrally located

Cons: Not the cheapest one but neither that expensive, During peak hour, it gets slow

Hermoso! - Edit

Fui a Vita a almorzar dos veces porque me gustó mucho la comida, la atención y el precio. Está muy bien ubicado, en pleno centro. Hay opciones de menú que se acompañan generalmente con guarnición, también hay distintos tipos de licuados, café y variedades de postres. Lo recomiendo para pasar un buen momento y comer sano!

Pros: Ubicación, precio, calidad de la comida, variedad,

Cons: Nada por el momento

Great Cafe - Edit

Nice and close to Plaza de Mayo. Changing special of the day. Everything I've tried has been delicious. People are friendly. They have tables to eat in, but you can also take-away. Their rolls are yummy and very convenient for bus trips etc. You can buy their vegan mylk (which I've found hard to come by in Argentina) but as with all vegan mylks I've found here, it's expensive.

Nice overall - Edit

I came here twice while I was in BA. The cafe has a very cute decor. They have a big menu which all looks good but when I went there the first time they told me that they only had what was in the fridge (sandwiches etc) and not anything on the actual menu. The sandwich was still very nice though. The second time I just had a snack (they have cupcakes etc). They also sell things like organic mate and vegan dulce de leche which was pretty awesome. I found the staff pretty unfriendly.

Great vegan spot, second location now in Palermo - Edit

We discovered Vita in 2011 when there were really no other spots but Picnic(now closed) and it really has some great options. They do run out of stuff quickly so that is disappointing when you travel far to get here...so come early. Their desserts are the best! Fresh juices, smoothies and lunch options.

Pros: great desserts and juices, lots of options, nice sit down spot

Cons: they run out of stuff, within 1-2 hours of opening

Best carrot cake I had! - Edit

Their risotto is good but their carrot cake is even better. This place is perfect for you who wants organic food but then it cost a bit more. I think it's worth visiting to eat their desserts but would go somewhere else to eat when you travel on a budget. The food is really good though.

Pros: Cakes are delicous, Carrot cake is wonderful!

Cons: Not cheap

Super cozy - Edit

Just got to Buenos Aires for the first time and this was the closest vegan place according to HappyCow. I went for early lunch and had a sandwich consiting of a nice bread, tofu and guacamole. It was really lovely, the guacamole was great. Had a juice with it, freshly squeezed and very lovely to, and the coffee was awesome. The place feels like a really cozy café and the staff was really friendly (like when they fixed wifi for me). I can't compare prices but I paid 125 pesos (time of writing approx 10 EUR) for the things I listed above, which feels Ok for me. I highly recommend it.

They have a lot of cakes, I will try them next time, they do look delicious. In all: great café, but it's not really a restaurant, if you're looking for that.

Pros: Cozy, Friendly, Free WiFi

Cons: No english menu

Vegan Heaven - Edit

Oh yeah, we found this very energetic and quaint #VeganPro cafe in the heart of Buenos Aires for our first meal of the trip. Talk about fit for a King and Queen. We were in nutritional heaven with the diverse range of selection. The staff were kind, friendly and pricing is cheap. If you're ever in the area make sure to check out VITA.

Heartwarming food and people - Edit

I went one night, for takeaway and had squash ravioli with mushrooms sauce and it was absolutely delicious, only thinking about it makes my mouth go crazy! Also, it had been a long time since I hadn't eaten fresh pasta, before going vegan, which made me enjoy it even more.
For dessert I had the "chocotorta", amazing, it has a really big serving, I would make it smaller which would make it cheaper.
Everything delicious.
Beautiful people, I waited there for my food and I was given some bread and a mayo (carrot I think it was made out of) while I waited, with no charge :) They also added some slices of bread to my takeaway which was so soft and delicious.
I will go back for sure, the place was beautifully decorated too. Adorable.

Pros: Delicious and fresh food, Big portions for good prices, Great stuff

Cons: In the city center but a little hidden

Service is great, but not the food - Edit

I was so happy about finding a vegan place near my hostel so went there a few times and tried some dishes. The staff is great, always friendly and polite. Now, the food, well...
The bread was hard, what spoiled the tofu sandwich. The muffin was too dry, couldn't finish either. I decided to return another day and try something else, maybe it wasn't their best day. But... The "soy milanesa" was terribly dry and it had no salt at all. I know too much salt isn't healthy but a little is required if you want people to taste your food -after all salt is an enhancer! I asked for some sauce but then it got disgusting and I just gave up. But I must say, the worst was to expect much from the alfajor. It's like two slices of overbaked cake with some strange cream filling it. It tastes like flour, nothing else, seriously. I tried but couldn't eat. Too bad, I spent money and left the place still hungry.
Vegan food can be delicious when one knows how to combine spices, middle-east gastronomy is possibly the best proof of that. So, sorry but tasteless food without animal products doesn't make me happy.

Pros: The salat was fine

Cons: Tasteless cooked food

Favourite restaurante in Argentina - Edit

Vita is the best place I'd been in Argentina for now. The cakes are amazing, and the day menus are always great. The owners are vegan -for the animals, of course- and they are the sweetest.
Sometimes, the girl or boy who is attending you, are not so great but there are always a good boy that attended you with his best smile.
They had a good store in there too, where you can buy tofu or soy dulce de leche :)

Pros: Good located, Food is good and moderate prices, Bakery is the best

Cons: So much people at midday

Cheap and cheerful - Edit

A bright, colourful and lively cafeteria.

My preferred choice from the menu wasn't available so i went for the risotto with carrots and mushrooms. The food came out very fast, but it was quite dry and chewy - a lot of rice and cashews with the occasional carrot and mushroom.

It was inexpensive and it filled a hole so can't complain.

Pros: Inexpensive, Fast service

Cons: Bland food

Nice - Edit

Just arrived to BA and tested Vita for the first time today. We had sort of hamburgers that were really nice: whole bread, roasted tofu, salad, tapenade and tomatoes. Just a bit surprised it wasn't warm. We also took fried potatoes that were frankly not so good, not well cooked and barely lukewarm.
But they have really good small factory Patagonia beers (we took the red one, excellent) and a good choice of cakes we did not taste this time.

Pros: nice place, central

Cons: service

Great food and service! - Edit

100% vegan! The sandwiches are very good! I recommend the zucchini sandwich! The desserts are great too. It's really good value! It can get cramped at midday, but the service is quick and the people are very friendly. Cash only! There's also a health market. They are refurbishing the place, it's getting better!

Pros: Great food, 100% vegan, Friendly staff

Cons: It gets kind of cramped during middays, The place is a bit small, They don't take debit or credit cards.

Me encanta Vita - Edit

Me encanta la comida que venden, y aunque algunos sandwiches a veces son un poco secos, son ricos igual. Los platos del dia casi siempre se ven espectaculares pero lo dulce es lo mejor. A veces no voy porque el lugar no está muy bueno, es chico, se llena de gente demasiado rápido, tenes que estar cara a cara con otro que no conoces pero la comida es muy rica. Y depende quien te toque de empleado, el licuado es mas rico o normal.

Los dueños son una pareja divina y siempre estan sonrientes, restaurante recomendado para ir cada tanto, para mí el mejor de Bs As.

Pros: Todo vegano, Pleno centro

Cons: Cierran a la noche, El lugar podría ser más lindo aun

nice simple healthy food:) - Edit

We went at 7:00 and they were sold out of many options. We had the pasta and the risotto. Both were very filling dishes. Simple tasting but hearty. Wonderful English speaking man who helped us. Fun little organic shop as well. Included is a Vegan version of the caramel sauce we see everywhere in BA.

Pros: great service, good food, Vegan baking

100% vegan! - Edit

Yay for 100% vegan in BA.
I was served by a lovely English speaking man.very helpful with explaining the menu.
Ordered a calzone style dish with salad. Slightly bland but very filling. Could have done with a sauce or relish.
Was excited to have a cashew milk cappuccino with cacao.it was nice but wasn't overly milky like a soy Capp is, was very strong. Good if you like a long black with a dash of milk.
The desserts definitely were the highlight.carrot cake and tiramisu were both delicious and large portions so great to share.
Walked away with a bottle of organic wine which was very tasty. A Malbec from mendoza.
Well presented and relaxed cafe. Wifi available too

Pros: vegan, helpful staff, desserts,

Good all vegan restaurant - Edit

I ate here twice (lunch and dinner) and really enjoyed the all vegan menu and many choices! Lunchtime was packed with locals.

I suggest coming in before 7.00-7.30pm in the evening though as supplies start to run dry. However, at least you know most food is made fresh daily.

I also had chocolate cake, which was nice but slightly dry.

Pros: All vegan, Desserts

Cons: Food is warmed in microwave

Love this place! - Edit

I walked 2 miles to get here and it was worth it! The food was good and cheap. The portions were great as well. The staff spoke English and they were very helpful in making a recommendation. I will try to go back before I leave.

Perfect for a picnic lunch - Edit

We ate here on a trip in mid-November. The tofu sandwiches with olive tapenade and cauliflower croquettes were perfect for a picnic in the park, and it was probably the most affordable meal we had in BA.

We came back later and tried a cupcake. It wasn't the best vegan cupcake I've ever had, but it was awesome to find such a thing at all while traveling in South America.

If we had more time, we would definitely come back and try some of the hot foods. I highly recommend Vita!

Pros: great sandwiches, inexpensive

Great, Cheap, Ethical! - Edit

I've been here many times! They often have the same things on the menu. They have really cheap hot and cold food, coffee, and baked goods. They also sell some soy products (soy mayo, etc.). It's pretty cheap compared to the rest of the city. The place has a really great vibe. Super great lunch spot, I'm not sure if they're open for dinner.

Pros: Cheap, Quick, Tasty

Cons: Busy at rush hour, Sometimes the sandwiches are a little dr

El paraíso existe!! y es pura Vita... - Edit

La mejor opcion vegan y raw-vegan en BsAs. Deliciosa comida, ambiente super calido y agradable, personal muy amable y con excelente trato, mercado organico, opciones take-away, proyecciones y talleres... Lo tiene todo!!! Imperdible

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, good value

Hidden Vegan Gem - Edit

Hiding off a main street in San Telmo (5 minutes walk from Plaza de Mayo) is this super friendly, all vegan, relaxed but popular hang out/cafe.

The food here is excellent (hot or cold, sit down and take away meals, salads and smoothies), and the dessert is amazing! Just standing at the glass dessert counter is enough to make you drool.

The carrot cake is the best my wife has ever had, and the raw chocolate torte would satisfy the greatest of chocoholics. Also, check out their very reasonably priced vegan ice cream that you can take away for those hot Argentinian afternoons.

They also have a little shop selling fresh bread, shampoo, conditioner, perfume, pasta, jams, bags, and more.

The staff that we've met speak excellent English, and within 2 visits were greeting us with hugs - love the Argentine way. :) The owners are wonderful, and always full of smiles.

If you're passing through, or staying in Buenos Aires for a while, this welcoming place will make you feel loved.

Open 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday (and I think they're currently experimenting with opening on Saturdays too?)

Needless to say, we try to go back as often as we can!
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 02, 2013

Pros: All vegan, Delicious desserts, Super friendly staff

THEY ARE THE OLD PICNIC - Edit

They are the old owners of Picnic.... The food is good, also sandwiches are yummy. What really rocks are the desserts, cakes, banana cupcakes.... that's the best. The place is ok. The staff is super nice. They could use less plastic and recycle!

Pros: CAKES AND DESSERTS, NICE FELLAS

Cons: PLEASE RECYCLE

Return to Buenos Aires Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has VITA - Hipolito Yrigoyen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8042 times since Aug 2012.