First Review by heathershepherd

Lovely salads - Edit

Relaxed service in a lovely location on a summer's day. Salads were really interesting and tasty. Only minor point would be you need more bread to with the delicious dips.

Pros: salad, location

Cons: not enough bread!, service could have been quicker.

Brilliant - Edit

I've been here a few times. the setting is a Vinery (like a big greenhouse) and if you go late summer big bunches of grapes hang above your head. Meals are based around pates and very creative salads with vegan choices. They forage for some of their ingredients and so you get interesting leaves on the plates like borage & wild garlic. The salad dressing is probably the best I've had anywhere. Friendly * helpful too. I liked my platter so much that instead of dessert I ordered the same again (It was mushroom & coconut pate with a selection of bread & salad). Thinking I was still hungry rather than just greedy they wouldn't let me pay for second helping. I had to insist - I want them to stay in business!

Pros: Healthy fresh food, Lovely atmosphere, Nice people

Cons: No vegan puds sadly

recent visit - Edit

Sought out this cafe on a recent visit to Helmsley. Although the menu and location were impressive unfortunatley the service left a lot to be desired. The delay for food and drinks was unacceptable - I queried the wait as I knew people who had come in after me had received their food but was told that all the food orders were processed in order (quite clearly they were not as we were still waiting.) The food order when it arrived was wrong, we pointed out this out to the waitress when she brought it to the table (she then insisted it was right!) It meant queueing up again at the servery again to get the correct food, there was no apology either for the delay or incorrect order. The cafe was not busy at the time so that cannot be the reason for the poor service.

Pros: imaginative menu, lovely location

Cons: poor service

Delicious, unique food - Edit

Visited the garden as we knew we could get vegan food. The staff were very friendly, and knew exactly what was suitable (the chef advised that the almond butter had been made by frying almonds in butter that morning).
The selection seemed to be either salads or sandwiches. We went for a houmus salad. The homemade houmous was served with fresh, homemade bread, and a variety of leaves (lovage possibly?) which I have never tried before in salads. Very delcious with unique, subtle flavours. However at £7.50, I felt this was quite pricey. Finished off with a large slice of chocolate cake.

Pros: Something different, Friendly staff, Vegan chocolate cake

Cons: pricey for main meal

Has REMOVED: Vinehouse Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 705 times since Apr 2008.