Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe

Contact 919-929-3833

431 W Franklin St (at Courtyard Shopping Ctr), Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, 27516

Serves meat, vegan options available. North Indian cuisine. Menu has marked veg and gluten-free items. The owner is known for her cooking; she has been making food from her home kitchen for years. The menu changes as she sources from small local farmers. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by faisca

Good food, nice atmosphere - Edit

Good Indian food with a variety of vegan options, including some things I haven't seen elsewhere (it's northern indian food so a little different from most of the places I usually go). I had the daal and a spiced cabbage dish, both yummy. The oatmeal cookie was good too :-)

Pros: friendly staff, nice courtyard seating

I love Vimala's - Edit

My husband and I are vegan and somewhat of "health nuts". We go to Vimala's about once a week and have NEVER been disappointed. Our favorite items are the aloo chaat, mushroom uttapam, and the vegan thali. The vegan thali always has a different curry so we never get board of ordering the same thing! They always have good beers on tap too. High quality ingredients and friendly service.

Pros: good food, good options for everyone, willing to cater to special needs

Cons: sometimes slow, lack of vegan desserts

Great vegan food! - Edit

Vimala's is one of the best places in the Triangle, and luckily they have great vegetarian/vegan options.

They have amazing food and service, and with Vimala's progressive policies (feeding those who can't afford to pay for the food, living wages, etc), it's very representative of "excellence with a heart"- what the city/university aspire to be.

They label right on the menu what is vegan- and they have plenty to choose from. I used them to cater several all-vegan events and it was great. I think they also label gluten-free items as well.

One of my favorite restaurants in the whole world - Edit

I have traveled to many places and have eaten at many high-end dining establishments, and Vimala's truly beats them all. You will not find such high-quality food anywhere else, period -- especially not for her prices.

Everything from the appetizers to the atmosphere is impeccable. The staff is friendly, helpful, and extremely accommodating. Both the indoor and outdoor seating areas are absolutely beautiful. Live music, a bubbling fountain, pretty stonework, gorgeous landscaping, lights- there is no better place to spend a summer evening than in the Courtyard. The restaurant is charming and lovely yet relaxed- the perfect balance of class and informality.

But what is really fantastic about Vimala's is the food itself. If it were any fresher it would still be in the soil. Vimala works with local farmers and has her own garden to source food for the restaurant, and she demands only the highest quality produce and spices. The many, many vegan options (clearly labeled) are just as finely orchestrated as the meat dishes. Every time I eat there I am completely floored at the outright, remarkable deliciousness and flavor complexity of her dishes. Other Indian restaurants do not even compare (even in India!). Unlike at other restaurants, you well never get just one dish at Vimala's; all the entrees are served with little salads, soups, chutneys, sauces, etc. and that makes for a very exciting dining experience.

Vimala's is a Chapel Hill/Carrboro institution, now, but it is also the best restaurant in the entire triangle area. Vimala hasn't just created a restaurant, she has built a community.

The only drawback is the wait. It can be long on weekend nights at peak hours. Come for lunch anytime or dinner during the week and service will be much faster. If you come on a weekend, come with people you can just hang out with for a while, order an appetizer, have a beer, and relax.

Would definitely be a full 5 cows if it didn't serve meat and dairy!
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 11, 2012

Pros: spectacular food, great value, wonderful atmosphere

Cons: long wait sometimes

An Indian Mom - Edit

I stopped in for lunch one day and have gone back several times. The food is really tasty and I have been told it is as locally sourced as possible. The kitchen staff look more like a hippie commune than your typical restaurant.

I've been twice when Vimala herself was there. That's a real treat. She took my order while I was in line and I got my food before I even paid. Then, like a real Indian mom, asked how everything was and if I needed anything, if it was too spicy or not spicy enough. She brought me an extra chutney when I said I could take a little more heat.

In line, I've seen people sample 3 or 4 dishes before ordering. Everyone is very helpful. That said, sometimes it can take FOREVER to get in and out of there. Food is always fresh and as stated, everyone is very accommodating and wants to help you choose the best meal for you. One downside-- they are ALWAYS out of samosas. Maybe you have to get there right when they open?

Pros: great customer service, fresh food

Cons: slow, often run out of things

Best meal I've ever eaten - Edit

It sounds like I must be joking that I had the best meal I've ever eaten, but I'm completely serious! I had the vegan masala dosa, and it was PERFECT! The service was so nice and helpful. I ended up bringing home garlic naan, rice, and rice pudding for my omnivorous hubby, and he loved it all. I appreciate that Vimala's uses local ingredients, has a fund that allows them to never turn anyone away, and works to be a positive force in the community. I really loved the physical environment, inside and out, as well. Oh how I wish it wasn't over an hour away from my home! Vimala teaches a cooking class once a month, so my hubby and I will take that class so that we can learn how to make some of these dishes ourselves.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Attractive interior

Loved It! - Edit

The food here is delightful. Dishes have a home-cooked/family recipe taste to them. Very flavorful. I especially enjoyed the vegan chai tea. Large selection of vegan dishes, and a wine cooler with an assortment of alcoholic beverages.

Pros: Authentic, Affordable, Amazing

Return to Chapel Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2871 times since Aug 2010.