Villaggio No 8

Serves meat, vegan options available. A mostly vegan/vegetarian pizzeria and bar. In addition to pizza, serves burgers and other dishes. Reported July 2017 to to be not fully vegetarian. Open Mon 5:30pm-2:00am, Wed-Sat 5:30pm-2:00am.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Kastner.tv

Dairy Cheese Mixed with Vegan Cheese on "Vegan" Pizza - Edit

SUMMARY
This restaurant mixed dairy cheese with vegan cheese. At first they insisted it was all vegan, but when we showed them the different-coloured vegan and regular cheeses they admitted it and blamed the chef and gave us a full refund.

WHAT HAPPENED
My parents and I ordered three vegan pizzas, which were listed under a separate section on the menu as “vegan pizzas”. When our pizzas arrived I could just tell that it was dairy cheese, so I politely explained (truthfully) that I’m lactose intolerant, and asked to see the packet of vegan cheese to check it. A staff member went to the kitchen and returned with an empty packet which was clearly vegan. At that point I apologised and felt I had to believe him.
But as I ate the pizza I just knew it was dairy. I had noticed that there was beta carotene (used for its yellow colour) in the vegan cheese, and also that the more cheese-like parts were melted and white, while there were small, partially-melted strips of what was obviously vegan cheese mixed with it. Then it became obvious that they had mixed vegan cheese with normal dairy cheese.

After paying the bill we decided to confront the staff about it. At first they didn't seem surprised but just brushed it off, and then they said that it might have fallen onto the pizza while making the next one, but we showed them that it was all over the pizza, mixed up with the vegan cheese. Eventually they blamed the chef, who they said was Egyptian and spoke neither German nor English, and they said that they can only communicate with him with hand gestures.

We explained the importance of serving vegans vegan food, and that they could also make people (like myself) with allergies very sick, and they just apologised and gave a refund. They didn't seem to care at all, or even to be surprised.

WHY?
It seems on reflection that the staff knew all along and were just telling as many lies as they could to try to make the “problem” go away, but if they didn’t know it’s equally concerning if they employ a chef they can’t communicate with who doesn’t understand their most basic menu requirements (like serving vegans vegan food) yet continue to advertise their food as vegan. It’s possible that they had run out of vegan cheese so instructed their chef (by hand gestures?) to mix it with it with regular cheese to make it go further, or it’s possible that they always do this to save money, since regular cheese is obviously cheaper than vegan cheese. We'll never know.

Updated from previous review on 2017-07-18

Cons: can't be trusted to prepare veg'n food

Great vegan options! - Edit

Although Villaggio No 8 is not a vegetarian restaurant (they serve meat!), they have a lot of vegan options. I had a vegan pizza and it was really good. The pizza looks small, but is actually very filling.
Would recommend it to anyone who wants to have dinner with omnis!

Villaggio - Edit

I've tested the Vegan Double Burger and it's really delicious :D. They have a really big Vegan and Vegetarian choice!

I'll come again too test all the Vegan Pizzas :P!

Return to Krems An Der Donau Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Villaggio No 8 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.