Village Green

• Vegetarian
Contact 02-6253065

33 Jaffa St (at Nahalat Shiva), Jerusalem, Israel,

Cafeteria style with counter service. Hot food and salad buffet features a variety of cold and warm dishes including fresh vegetables, bread included with an order of soup or main dish, raw and cooked salad bar items, butternut squash soup, curry vegetable pie, lasagna, whole-grain couscous and vegetables. Main dishes are sold by piece, and the salad bar is by weight. The restaurant employs special needs persons as part of its social action policy. Staff speaks English.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Western, Buffet, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out, Israeli

First Review by A.Z.P.

Mindblowing food - Edit

This food.. is the best. I could not choose. Which ment i went for the soup and salad combo deal (59 NIS). Meaning you choose a soup and get salad from the salad bar. This ain't no ordinary salad bar, it has tofu, quinoa salad, roasted pumpkin, steamed veggies.. and raw as well. Next to it you also have choices like quiche, even gluten free.. And they had 16 different vegan cakes(!!!). The juices are fresher than fresh. Only bad thing.. it's quite expensive.

Pros: TASTY, very healthy, much choice

Cons: Expensive

Excellent, high quality, delicious vegan buffet! - Edit

We finally ate here after weeks of walking by it, and we wish we would have tried it sooner, because it is good enough to eat there every day! Between us we tried just about every vegan offering in the hot and cold salad bars, plus 2 soups. Everything was absolutely delicious! We particularly liked the soups, the tahina sauce, and the incredibly delicious sweet potato hot side dish! The staff are helpful, vegan options are clearly marked, and almost everything is vegan. Will definitely be back next time!

Pros: Delicious! , Wide variety!, inexpensive

My go to place for lunch out in Jerusalem - Edit

Love the Village Green! It's comfortable eating there alone and cozy with friends or family. There's always plenty of good and all vegan options to fill your plate with. The food isn't anything to truly rave about but It's a feel good place that leaves you feeling good after eating too.

Pizza! - Edit

I tried the restaurant in 2012 and again in 2014. It is maybe not the cleanest place, but the location is great, you have a lot of vegan choices and i liked the pizza and the chocolate cake! The staff was both times very friendly. I can recommend this place.

Great place, delicious food - Edit

The food I had today was delicious! They don' t price by weight anymore, and there are two options available now. One is with soup, the other without. I decided to go without soup, as I wasn't that hungry anyways. You get a (mid size) plate and can choose from the buffet (all vegan, except the yoghurt dressing). There was no restriction on how many dishes you can choose. I posted a picture of the plate I put together. The price was 44 NIS. I also couldn't resist and got a cake (26 NIS) as well (vegan lemon cheesecake - see foto) which was also amazing!
Absolutely loved it - will eat there again. I also consider the prices to be absolutely fair!

Pros: Friendly staff, Great variety of foods

Vergood vegetarian restaurant, very vegan-friendly - Edit

A very good restaurant with a large variety of healthful vegetarian dishes, with many vegan options. It's not gormet, but the food is well prepared and appetizing. Ambience is good, though not intimate. My husband and I, who are vegans and live in Jerusalem, eat there about once a week. Very good value.

Pros: Good value for good food, You take only as much as you want to eat, Very friendly and helpful staff

Cons: Not particularly romantic, No fancy dishes

Friendly, tasty and plenty - Edit

Found by chance, we really enjoyed stopping by at the village green during our trip to Jerusalem. Very friendly staff who make you feel welcome and take you through patiently their wide choice of fresh food. The place is cosy but we always found a place to sit.

Pros: Friendly staff, Choice of food

Oasis of Vegan food - Edit

Village Green is an oasis of vegan food in Jerusalem, a city that in my experience as a 4 day tourist doesn't seem to offer a lot of options for healthy, plant-based food. It's a salad & food bar with a good variety, including vegetable dishes, tofu/tempeh, beans/lentils, salad etc. It is my primary (almost only) source for plant-based protein in Jerusalem and close enough to Jafa gate, so it's my regular after-sight-seeing place.

Everything tastes good to really good, including the desserts. Haven't tried to soups. Prices are normal for Israel, for a main plate + a fresh juice, I usually pay 50-65.

5* for being a fast, high quality buffet place in great location.

Hot food - Edit

I don't know about you, but I hate how dairy restaurants tend to have little to no vegan food. Luckily there is Village Green where vegans don't have to put up with lackluster food anymore.

I didn't try the chocolate cake since I wasn't sure it was vegan and I was already full from the buffet.

Pros: Kosher, Hot food, Friendly staff

Veggie Paradise - Edit

Big range of declared Vegan food.
Enough space for indoor and outside eating. Very clean restaurant and friendly staff

Pros: Cleanliness, Food Variety, Space

Cons: Price

Good choice - Edit

Easy to find central location is a plus. There were good vegan options, though all the quiches were dairy. We got a Broccoli-sweet potato pie, you get a quarter of a pie for 33nis, which was good and well-cooked but not mushy. The soy goulash was good, but not super-flavorful. It was nice to have lots of options like roasted potatoes, brown rice or bulghur to put it on. We got the highly recommended vegan chocolate cake. It came with a little pile of fruit bits as a garnish. I guess some people don't get out much, because the cake was barely OK. It has a grainy cocoa sort of taste, and is not a cake anyway, but a mousse pie sort of thing. We got the large piece for 33nis, a smaller one is 19. The large is not exactly huge, but OK to share. Anyway, once we tasted it, we didn't care that the serving was not so big. I guess if you don't have access to good vegan baking, this is a treat. Otherwise, skip it! The food is not exactly pricey, but definitely not a bargain either.

Pros: location, friendly, it's veg

Cons: uninspired

Cake and Smoothies - Edit

A vegan friend and I stopped by Village Green after getting lost in the old city. Not hungry for a meal, we got a slice of the vegan chocolate cake and some smoothies. The cake came with a side of beautiful fresh fruit. The cake was certainly worth the visit and the smoothies nice as well.

We didn't try the savory food or salads so no comment on that. But the place is cute, clean, has outdoor seating, and friendly service.

Review based on a visit in 2010

Pros: The vegan cake, is very good!, ...yes, it is.

Good all around - great cake! - Edit

I generally agree with the reviews posted below. This is hardly the best vegan restaurant I've ever been to, but it was a solid place to visit. The vegan chocolate cake is very good, like a yummy chocolate mousse (though the crust could be better). We arrived right at noon, and the cafeteria style food was very fresh. Our salads were all delicious, and we appreciated that the vegan options were all clearly marked. It was hardly ambitious cuisine, but still very tasty. We particularly liked their tempeh salad, which was the pick of the bunch. I agree with some of the reviewers that this place is NOT cheap. You pay by weight, and either I had some heavy options, or this was just expensive!!!

Pros: Good food, delicious cake, nice atmosphere

Cons: Expensive

Jerusalem's bad vegan monopoly - Edit

The only reason that The Village Green has lasted so long and become a staple of Jerusalem vegan life is because of the derth of competition. On my most recent trip, The best thing one of my companions had to say about it was "disgusting". The restaurant is arranged cafeteria style and the meals are measured by weight. Sounds cheap? IT ISNT!! it is incredibly overpriced my cousin paid 40 sheqels for a smallish salad that tasted terrible. We also tried the curry vegetable pie (which tasted like it had no curry in it and had a sour after taste)the stuffed pepper (which was just gross mush inside of a pepper) and the baked tofu pieces (which look good but taste raw) None of us were full after the meal and all of us were nauseous. I appreciate the contributions that the Village green has made to Jerusalem vegetarians but i hope in the near future, for Jerusalemites and every1 else, that a better vegan/vege restaurant will open in jerusalem. One that actually has affordable food which tastes good.One that can actually show jerusalemites how tasty good vegetarian food can be.

Pros: Very overpriced, Bad food, loud

Cons: Alot of options, Great location

Return to Jerusalem Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Village Green closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3016 times since Aug 2007.