Viet Chay - Vinh Nghiem Pagoda

Contact 08-35265859

290/21A Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

Vegetarian restaurant with two buildings on opposite sides of the road, inside and outside of the Pagoda campus walls. Large a-la-carte menu. Buffet lunches on the first and the fifteenth days of Lunar month. Friendly atmosphere. Also known as Nha Hang Viet Chay.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Buffet, Vietnamese

First Review by ViolaineB

Poor Food and Service - Edit

I ate at this place very often over about a year. It was ok to start with and then like many businesses in Vietnam you become a "Friend" after a view visits which means, you can wait you are family.

The service became atrocious. The food was frequently cold to the point that one day half of my plate was warm and the other like it had come out of the fridge. I told the water, so he stuck his finger in it to see, said "oh i see" walked off and 5 mins later came back with the same plate of food, finger stuck and all.

On another occasion which is at the point I never went back. As asked for a cup of hot green tea. It came out and I sipped it and thought wow it tastes hot (like chili hot) as I was eating chili I thought it must have been that until I got 4 sips in and realised it had rice wine in it. As a recovering alcoholic I can't tell you how pissed I was. I got a non caring attitude from the waitress and needless to say never went back.

These are but two anecdotes of this place.

Cons: Poor service, Served cold food on a few occasions, Hopeless when its busy

Nice place, popular with locals & monks - Edit

This place may be slightly hard to find as it's just down a little side street and is pretty similar to the one that is on the opposite side of Nam Ky Khoi Nghia (in the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda)in terms of décor and food (I have a feeling it might be owned by the same person?). The couple of times I've been it's always been very busy and is a favourite with locals.

I had a mock meat curry with pumpkin sauce which was delicious. I went back with a friend and she wasn't very impressed with the noodles she had - she found it overpriced for what it was and said she could get better in the alleyway near our house for much less. I have to say I prefer the one in the Vinh Nghiem Pagoda for the atmosphere, friendly staff and extensive menu. Regardless, Nha Hang Viet Chay is still a nice place with good food and atmosphere.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Extensive menu

Wonderful place! - Edit

I am fortunate enough to live very close to Vinh Nghiem Pagoda and have tried the food several times there - I have brought friends along a few of those times and they all have enjoyed it as much as I do.

The restaurant is in the walls of the pagoda and it's usually quite busy in the evenings with locals; families, couples and monks enjoying the delicious food there. The staff have always been so kind to me and there's the sweetest little boy working there who comes up to me and always amazes me with his English.

I like the atmosphere there and I like the food even more. Portion sizes are huge; my friend and I ordered a tofu dish each, a 'side' of spinach and a serving of rice to share and it could easily have fed 4 people...we were stuffed! Actually, I didn't particularly like that tofu dish I ordered as I found the sauce a little too sour for my liking, but the spinach with garlic is good, and so are the 'fish' fingers, which taste really close to the real thing, as the tofu based 'fish' is wrapped in seaweed, giving it that slightly 'fishy' taste. Finally, I always get the fried sweet potato when I'm there - simple, but so good! Definitely check out Vinh Nghiem Pagoda restaurant, great selection of dishes and really pleasant surroundings!

Pros: Lots to choose from, Affordable, Lovely pagoda right by

Must visit! - Edit

I found this listing on Happy Cow while I was visiting Ho Chi Minh and decided to give it a try. I went on a weeknight and had the dinner buffet. The price was more than reasonable and the food variety was very impressive! The vast majority of customers here are locals and so the food had more authentic flavors and ingredients than many of the other restaurants I tried. The vegetarian pho was outstanding and the best I had during my whole trip in Vietnam. I highly recommend this restaurant not only for the value but also for the buffet variety as you can sample a lot of local dishes that you may not be able to find vegetarian versions of elsewhere.

Pros: great value, huge variety, authentic cuisine

Excellent food, friendly staff - Edit

Really had a nice meal there, we were a bit wary at first as a lot of places were a disappointment. We ordered a lot of food, probably too much! I thought I ordered some spring rolls for starters but thank god I didn't... so much food! Although they looked good on other people's tables. This restaurant is inside a temple/pagoda. Only vietnamese people were there. The staff speaks a little english, some better than others. Ask for a menu in english otherwise they'll bring you the vietnamese one. The menu is substantial, with all sorts of dishes, such as mock meat, chicken curry, seafood rice, mock beef in phò and vegetables dishes. Amazing lotus rice, really yummy. The chicken curry was delicious, with lots of lemongrass. Presentation amazing. Cleanness remarkable. The staff was also super friendly which is always a plus! It looks like people working there are somehow linked to the temple. Apparently Vinh Nhhiem Pagoda is the largest pagoda in town. People go there to pay homage to Siddhartha Gautama, Buddha himself, and Samantahartha, the lord of truth and justice according to City Pass Guid. We saw a buddhist monk passing by. The ceiling is made of glass and the place looks very zen, We went there when it was raining so it was very appeasing and serene. You really need to check this place out people! It really deserves to be visited. You just got to taste that lotus rice!

Pros: great food, great staff, great presentation and CLEAN!!!

Return to Ho Chi Minh City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Viet Chay - Vinh Nghiem Pagoda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.