First Review by ImmerWeiter

Expensive and unhealthy - Edit

I'm really surprised that the name of this restaurant (Vida Sana) translates in English as "healthy life." I found that to be not true.

After reading the other reviews, I would not have gone here, but it was the only place that was actually open on Sunday. I believe that every single item on the food bar had been fried. There were no raw vegetable items to make a salad; it was simply a bunch of food that appeared to be fried and/or oily.

I just took a medium sized plate (not a dinner-sized plate, mind you), put on a few items to hold me over until dinner, and they charged me 145 pesos. I've been to two other buffets like this one in Montevideo, and gotten more food, better food, for less.

If I were faced with this being the only place open on Sunday, I will go to a super market and put together a meal. I have very rarely given out a 2-cow review, but this one is warranted.

Cons: Expensive for what it is, Food fried and/or oily

Good enough - Edit

This place is awesome, although is not the great thing, It's really close to my heart; maybe because I used to go with friends and takeaway food.
Don't expect a cozy, or welcoming place, is a typical Asian store, with lot of things, you can buy prepared food or to prepare like quinoa, mijo, some spices, etc.
The vegan and vegetarian options are not identified, but the stuff (they are a family) is willing to answer your questions.
They are called "VIDA SANA", which means HEALTHY LIFE, but it is far from healthy, the food is heavy on the oil, but it is good anyway.
I recommend the spring rolls, they are my favorite, and a really good option for takeaway, specially on Sundays when Tristán Narvaja's street market gets full of people selling and buying things. Tristán Narvaja is an attraction for tourists and locals, if you're there on Sunday, don't miss it.

Pros: Location, meters from the main avenue, Delicious spring rolls, Cheap

Cons: Oilier than needed

Good vegan options to take away. Not very healthy - Edit

Asian buffet with some vegan options to take away or eat there (the atmosphere is not very cozy though).
They offer empanadas, lumpia, soja protein and some vegetables. The food is not healthy, as everything is fried, but it is a good option when you don´t have much time and need to take away.
The staff doesn´t speak much spanish (in fact, the owners are always speaking with each other in their language while you are paying them and don´t even look at you or say "thank you") and is not very friendly either.

Pros: Tasty food, Take away

Cons: Everything is fried, Staff not friendly

Good option for take-away food - Edit

I ate there yesterday (21 Feb 2013) with my girlfriend. The place looks like a traditional Chinese store with a buffet and a shop mixed together. There's enough space to sit, but we decided to choose the take-away option. The food was not labelled and we had to ask which one is vegan. You have to speak Spanish for that, they don't speak English.
We had a box of 4 spring rolls and 4 small pasties (empanadas) and a box of mixed vegetables with 2 big steamed dumplings for 147 pesos altogether. Good food for a reasonable price, but there are not so many things to choose from.

Pros: Reasonable price, Good food, Kind attention

Cons: No English spoken, Vegan food not labelled, A bit messy (for a western taste) store

Return to Montevideo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vida Sana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.