Vertical Diner

• Friend
801-484-8378

234 W 900 S, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84115

Vegan diner serving down-home style comfort food and breakfast all day. Specialties include fried faux chicken, blueberry pancakes, and hand cut french fries. Drinks are fair trade coffee, tea, chocolate, and cocktails. Previously at 2280 SW Temple. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Roethke

service was bad, food was okay - Edit

I went here in January 2017 and the service was really bad. I had to keep getting up and going to the counter to ask for things because my waitress never came to my table. The food was okay but really overpriced. I was disappointed with their vegan Mac n cheese. I really liked the kimchi tacos.

tasty food - friendly staff - Edit

I had the polenta sticks and the house salad. Both very tasty.

EXCELLENT! - Edit

The food here is amazing. I am from the south so I know biscuits and gravy, and let me tell you...this was good. We tried a variety of things on the menu, and every single thing was amazing. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the vibe was great.

Pros: Food was wonderful, Staff was amazing., Diner was clean and good vibes

Cons: none.

Diner Atmosphere, Great Cake - Edit

I had a good lunch here and appreciate another vegan spot in SLC. It's definitely diner style, don't expect a strong and modern ambiance, even a bit grubby (hence authentic?) in places.
Cappucino was wonderful, carrot cake fresh and lovely, pesto sandwich so-so, and the fries were terrific with an unusual and flavorful ketchup style dipping sauce.
I'd visit again for a quick lunch and have dinner at a more upscale restaurant like Zest.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-14

Pros: Awesome cappucino , Parking was easy, Comfort food (esp. breakfast)

Cons: Very informal (just not my style)

vegan comfort food - Edit

Really good vegan comfort food.

A FULL menu!!!!!! - Edit

Sitting down and having an ENTIRE menu to choose from is pure bliss in itself and beyond this, everything else..from the choices, deliciousness, super service and location is vegan heaven. I love their breakfast and order "The Mountain - with sausage, guac and cheese". I also tasted the pancakes. Perfection...light, fluffy, crispy on the edges and soaked up with the perfect combo of butter + syrup. Topping it off with a chocolate shake. mmmm. This is fantastic vegan love junk food. I dined with vegetarians and omnis and we all LOVED it.

Pros: Big tasty menu with breakfast all day, Homemade everything, Friendly, accomodating and professional staff

Cons: New location/signage - bit confusing with old one, I'd prefer coconut bacon over their seitan version

Very Yummy Food - Edit

I do not even need to qualify this as Vegan food, it is just simply delicious. I have had several meals when I have been in SLC, and I keep coming back. This time I had Thanksgiving dinner here on Thanksgiving and came again for Jackfruit/KimChee tacos. Friendly staff, nice environment, good food and reasonable prices.

Pros: Very Nice Food and Plenty of Choices, Friendly Staff and Pleasant Environment , Reasonable Prices

YUM YUM YUM - Edit

I'd eaten here before on another trip and don't know why I didn't review it then. I stopped in again on this road trip and it's just as good as I remembered from last time. We were just talking about stopping in again in the morning before we leave SLC! The food is the highlight at this place - not the ambiance, not the service. Not to say that I'm bothered by either although the waitress did tend to get caught up chatting with other tables. Despite that, the food still came super fast and was seriously delicious.

Pros: Great vegan diner food, Quick service, Big portions

Great Vegan Diner - Edit

I liked this place a lot. I had the burger with Mac and cheese and vertical sauce -- I forget the name of the burger -- and it was awesome. I couldn't get enough. I also had cole slaw which was really good, and a peanut butter brownie for dessert which was also good. Food was delicious and the server was really friendly. Atmosphere was really cool too. Will absolutely go again next time I'm in Salt Lake.

Pros: delicious food, good vibe

Cons: not health food

the best for vegan diner grub - Edit

I have loved everything I've tried at Vertical Diner! I grew up in New Jersey, so I am VERY familiar with diner style food. This place is excellent, and absolutely try their fried chick'n. My 8 year old niece (not vegan) requests going to Vertical Diner for 'fried chicken' and french fries, and she is chicken strip and french fry connoisseur. I love taking my family here since I know it will be enjoyed by everyone:)

Pros: great food, bring non-vegans, price on point

Cons: terribly slow service

Great Vegan Comfort Food! - Edit

Breakfast is served all day, there is a Mac and cheese plate with a long list of sides from jackfruit to facon to broccoli and it's ALL vegan!!! The tofu scramble was wonderful. I ran out of room to try the vegan milkshakes...which would have probably given them a 5. I only gave them a 4 because I'm a vegan Mac n cheese addict and I've had better... but it was still a great dinner! The staff was super nice and service was fast for our party of 11.

Pros: All Vegan!, Breakfast all day!, Milkshakes and other desserts

Excellent Breakfast - Edit

They have the best pancakes I've ever eaten outside of my own home :) blueberry especially.

something for everyone - Edit

I think the food here is delicious and the portions are good. It can get a tad pricey if you don't just get an entree (drink, dessert, appetizer, etc), but they do have specials on Mondays and Wednesdays. The atmosphere is fantastic and I always have a good time when I go with friends. Check it out!
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 30, 2015
I've heard the food, cleanliness, and service is really inconsistent here. But I almost always have a great experience. The food is so yummy. I think it is getting pricier though.

Pros: Good food & selection, Good service, Great atmosphere

Cons: kinda pricey, bad management

Crispy, Milkshake, and Buiscuit - Edit

I went to the Vertical Diner because their faux chicken was on a list of ten best faux chicken and I ordered the breaded chicken sandwich and it was super crispy with lots of spices and flavor. The vertical sauce wasn’t a thousand island special sauce but an aioli with rosemary and it was delicious. I think vanilla milkshakes are boring but the Vertical Diner milkshake is nice and sweet. The biscuit and gravy is good too. If you’re going to be in the Salt Lake area definitely try the Vertical Diner.

Meh. Not worth the $$. - Edit

I've got to be honest I've been totally let down both times I've been to vertical. The staff is not very attentive and they don't know a whole lot about the products they serve. (My waitress wasn't really sure what the hemp seed brownie was???)
It's also super over priced for just like low-qual food you could easily make at home. I bought a slice of "french toast" for $3.75 today and they brought me a piece of bread that literally looked like it had been toasted in a toaster and sprinkled a dash of powdered sugar on it... and then charged me $1.75 for syrup.......... for my one piece of toast...... My friend and I were so disappointed and so hungry afterwards we ended up getting a second breakfast at Blue Plate Diner.
On my birthday I had the carribean jerk sandwich which was tasty but still definitely not worth the money. All in all, I'd say SLC has WAY better and way cheaper options for vegans laying around. Not worth the time or the money.

Pros: all vegan, wide variety of options

Cons: expensive., mediocre quality at best., blah service.

One of our favorites - Edit

This is one of my families favorite places to eat. They have pretty good options available. I'm pretty fond of their taco salad, and haven't ventured outside that much. They also have really good smoothies and desserts. I guess the only con that I can think of is the focus of fake meats in some of their menu options, but they have enough other options that it seems to be okay :)

Pros: Great service, Great portions

Cons: not all options that healthy ;)

tasty eats - Edit

Been eating here for years and guess I forgot to review it. Never had a bad meal here. A few favorites have been the Philly with the mushroom option, the buffalo chicken ranch, and the jerk chicken sandwich. Tonight my daughter tried the dude cakes and they were amazing. I had the Ian Mackaye, a beg burger with Mac & cheese on it....wow! Definitely worth our drive from North Ogden.

Excellent food! - Edit

I was in SLC for ONE day and couldn't decide which vegan restaurant to eat it. I chose VD based on a recommendation from a SLC resident on Instagram. Glad I did! I can't remember the name of my dish, but it was a veggie burger with mac and cheese on top. YUM! So good, comfort food at its finest. The spicy fries were delicious too. Quirky atmosphere, but it was really hot in there and way too many fries. Both guys that waited on me were super friendly. Definitely a dive/diner feel and that's what makes it fun! I thought the service was fast but it was mid-afternoon and pretty empty inside.

Pros: Food, Service

Cons: Flies

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vertical Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.