Vertical Diner

• FRIEND
801-484-8378

234 W 900 S, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84115

Family-friendly, retro atmosphere diner featuring vegan comfort food with breakfast served all day alongside cocktails, wine, and local beer. The large menu offers choices like breakfast burrito, biscuits n gravy, nacho mamas, spicy fries, ranch burger, philly cheese steak sandwich, the vertical ruben, pancakes, and french toast. Displays local art, hosts monthly open-mic night, and a private party room is available for functions. Open Mon-Thu 9:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Roethke

cnndrm

Contributions +60

Raw
13 Nov 2018

Disaster - Edit

The food I have ordered has always been okay, I always ordered gluten free options & they tasted like something you would create yourself at home the first month of being vegan & still discovering what works and what doesn't.

I took my non-vegan friend here to try some vegan food and she ordered some kind of mushroom stroganoff dish and it straight up tasted like they scraped off a buildup of fuzzy food at the bottom of a dirty sink and poured it over penne noodles. She was being nice and ate a lot of it before I realized something was wrong. When I tried it I almost gagged. Later that night it made her sick. I don't know if it is still on their menu or if that was even supposed to be what it tasted like but dear lord that wasn't normal.

She ordered a tiramasu for dessert which had gluten in it and even though I'm gluten free I took the first bite for her to make sure it was edible and it was SO GOOD so that sort of made up for it.

Our waiter was really friendly and fast, he seemed stressed so we decided not to say anything about it.

WhatDoYouEatThen

Contributions +412

02 Nov 2018

Mixed review, wont be back tho - Edit

I didn't have a great experience, the food was good

Visited on Oct 7th, 2018

I called in a To-Go order, a Veg Burger and Fries.

WHen I arrived my order was waiting, I paid and left

When I got to where were eating, I discovered I had the wrong order

I called to see if I took the wrong one, I was told they were closing, there were no other to-go orders, so "it must be what I ordered"
It wasn't tho

I was hung up on.. did not expect that
So I was stuck with this order

It was fake chicken wings, which is not something I order... ever (Interestng, but not a texture I enjoy)
It was a salad, and nacho chips.. not something I would have ordered (Flavorfull)
And some fries with Chili on them (very good)

So all the food was good, but not what I ordered, and i was stuck with it

For this, and other reasons, I am not happy at all with my experience.

There are other options in Salt Lake City, so I will not return to Vertial Diner

Enjoy at your own risk

Pros: The Chili Fries were good, Food I did not order, was not bad

Cons: Messed up order handled poorly, Cleaning floors in kitchen, soap smells in food, Moping floors in restuarant while customers eating

opalmango

20 Oct 2018

Worth the wait - Edit

Visited vertical diner twice during our 3 day visit to salt lake. The non vegans in our group were happy to eat there the next day!! Huge menu of standard diner food, but plant based! Plenty of gluten free options. Both days service was very slow. But thankfully we had plenty of of time. Despite the wait our order was complete and exceeded our expectations. Our group enjoyed the funky authentic diner atmosphere. Young child and family friendly.

Pros: 100% plant based , Huge menu , Family friendly

Cons: Slow service

MrKyleH

10 Oct 2018

This place rocks!! - Edit

This is my favorite vegan restaurant that I've come across in a while. The diner has such a good selection of food, with breakfast all day. The casual hip atmosphere is really nice. The service was outstanding and of course the food is top notch. I had The Avalanche (which I choose pancakes, tofu scramble, potatoes, and sautéed mushrooms) and I loved it! The pancakes were so fresh and tasted so good, the seasoning in the scrambled tofu was delicious (not overly salty), the potatoes and mushrooms were perfect. It was just what I needed and was looking for. I wish that I could take this diner with me back home. I will make sure that when I'm in Salt Lake City again, I stop by and have some more amazing food from The Vertical Diner.

Pros: Lots of options , Good atmosphere

dking

Contributions +20

02 Oct 2018

I loved the vegan foods gravy was awesome waitress was nice and helpful - Edit

Loved it wish it was not far from me

Pros: Lots of option , Prices were good , Friendly

Cons: I could the desserts better

2002rulz

Contributions +33

Vegetarian
16 Sep 2018

Good food, hour long wait - Edit

I’ve been here twice. The service has been very slow. Today we waited an HOUR for food. Also there was no a/c so it was hot. Flies were everywhere. Our kids were so so hungry. We probably won’t be back.

Pros: Good vegan food

Cons: Long, long wait time (1 hour plus), Flies, No air conditioning

reserr

13 Sep 2018

Great place - Edit

Cute place with great food and very nice, friendly staff. Went there for a late lunch and enjoyed it so much we went back the next day for breakfast before leaving Salt Lake City!

ashlinmichelle7

Contributions +819

01 Sep 2018

Nice place - Edit

Great art work nice place and friendly people

Pros: All vegan , Nice art, Fair prices

TomásHuitzilcohuátl

Contributions +30

29 Aug 2018

Bounty - Edit

Big portions. I had the Avalanche.

Cons: Their sausage really sucks.

KatyBarnett

Contributions +34

16 Aug 2018

Tempeh Cubano was amazing! - Edit

I'm not even a huge fan of tempeh and that sandwich was terrific. The side of mac and cheese though, tasted truly awful.

Pros: Lots of options!

beltongirl

Contributions +181

08 Aug 2018

Delicious - Edit

We ate here 2 times during our overnight stay in Salt Lake. Once for lunch and then for breakfast in the morning. The menu is served all day. I would recommend the Mountain( tofu scramble, mushrooms and potatoes) taco salad, the triple threat and the pancakes were amazing. The mountain was our favorite by far.

Pros: Entire menu plant based , Tons of options , Take home pancake mix. 3lbs for $7 not bad.

Cons: A little warm even with a/c on.

vegangirl22

Contributions +112

24 Jul 2018

Absolutely Wonderful - Edit

Friendly little place with cool artwork and great food, my favorite breakfast item was banana pancakes, and my favorite lunch/dinner item was the buffalo tiger appetizer.

Pros: Friendly atmosphere, delicious food

fiona_k

Contributions +68

22 Jul 2018

An all-time fav - Edit

I make sure to stop by for lunch at Vertical every time I visit SLC. The buffalo tigers are my favorite menu item but everything I’ve tried has been exceptional.

MightyVegMama

Contributions +58

15 Jul 2018

OMVG delicious! - Edit

I'm from a small and very food deserty town and I'm in heaven with all this AMAZING vegan grub! I had the buffalo tigers and the biscuits and gravy with sausage and it was perfect! Alanna was an awesome server and I'll definitely be back!

Pros: HUGE menu - everything's vegan!

Cons: I couldn't eat every item at once.

Stephaneen

Contributions +529

05 Jul 2018

Brunch - Edit

We stopped by Vertical on the 4th of July - once of the few places open. We ordered the the mountain and the la mesa. Both were really delicious and felt pretty healthy.

WholeFoodLovers

Contributions +83

Vegetarian
05 Jul 2018

Fun place, good food. - Edit

First time to Salt Lake City and had a list of possible vegan/vegetarian restaurants. This was convenient for today so we stopped in for lunch. Not very busy.
Staff was friendly and helpful letting us know about the various menu options.
I was torn between the Vertical Burrito and Breakfast Burrito. I settled on the Vertical. When food arrived, it was all tofu scramble and very little rice and beans. Confirmed with the waitress that it was a breakfast version.
Menu stated "smothered in red sauce and cheese sauce..." Came smothered in cheese sauce and a decorative amount of red sauce. Wasn't bad, just expecting the other way around.
We also had the vertical tacos. These were excellent. Turned out to be much better selection than the burritos.

Pros: 100% vegan, Fun decor and ambience

ZGribble

Contributions +46

29 Jun 2018

It’s alright at best - Edit

Let me preface this by saying, I have been Vegan for two years and I’ll eat just about anywhere that is 100% Vegan. This place has been in my list to eat at for a while, and I was super excited to go. At I went at noon on a Thursday and there was one other customer in there. The hostess was friendly, great and greeted/chatted with us about local vegan spots. Great service. After that unfortunately everything was sub-par. The restaurant was so dirty. The salt and pepper shakers had grime on the top of them. The blinds were caked in dust. The recycle bin behind the counter was over flowing and the coffee maker and things behind the bar looked a mess. Visual impressions of this place were 1-Star and I am being nice. Then our food came out. The $6 biscuit and gravy, yes I said biscuit......was upsetting. One 3” biscuit is NOT worth $6 a pop. Overall the food my ok at best and not worth eating in a dirty restaurant for.

Pros: 100% Vegan

Cons: Expensive , Mediocre food, Dirty! Dirty! Dirty!

yayabagirl58

Contributions +30

15 Apr 2018

Yummy plant-based vegan meal options - Edit

The wait was 20 minutes at noon on a Sunday but once at our table the service went fast for getting our food. Lots of vegan options but not many oil-free ones. The food was delicious and we ate every morsel

Pros: lots of options, delicious

Cons: Not many plant-based oil-free options

BridgetLove

krimaro

Contributions +148

08 Apr 2018

Great brunch! - Edit

I had the burrito which comes with sour cream, cheese sauce, and red sauce on top (forget the name) - highly recommended!! Order with tortilla chips as the side, so you can use the leftover sauce on your plate to make nachos ;)

Pros: Very flavourful burrito, quick service, cozy atmos

Cons: Sandwich options are SMALL, macaroni is bland.

igioVegan

Contributions +44

01 Apr 2018

YUMMERS!!! - Edit

First time at Vertical Diner and I’m hooked. Yummy food and very friendly staff. I had “The Mountain” with sausage and melted cheese. It was recommended by one of the waiters.

LukeHayward

Contributions +85

Mostly Vegetarian
28 Mar 2018

such good food - Edit

Got the “avalanche” and the pancakes were insanely good along with the delicious sausage, eggs, home fries, and peppers and onions. If you have the opportunity go, such good food and staff

severe

Contributions +38

04 Feb 2018

Good food bad service - Edit

So the food was amazing. Traveling over 5 hours for an event and stopped here. Almost willing to drive the 5 hours again just for the tiger bites and delicious ranch! I don't have many vegan restaurants near me. Although the food was amazing my server was not. He didn't check up on my table once and did not seem to be in a good mood. He was more occupied with other customers. I understand this but was really hoping for something better I guess. Food made up for it.

Pros: amazing ranch

Cons: bad service

TonyaCuozzo

Contributions +78

22 Jan 2018

wish I had the place back home - Edit

Came out to SLC for business and thanks to HappyCow I found this gem. Clean and great atmosphere. Completely vegan with scratch made everything. I don’t typically eat biscuits and gravy but so glad I decided to go for it because it was awesome!! Added a pancake with blueberries and my morning was set.

Pros: all vegan, scratch made everything , friendly staff, clean environment , great choices, can order individual pancakes

Levi

Contributions +96

27 Nov 2017

Great Food And Service - Edit

Great menu options for Vegans! I love these guys, and their staff is great. Laid back atmosphere and good prices for what you get. In my top 5 for vegan restaurants for sure.

Pros: Menu, Atmosphere

CoachSimon

Contributions +22

21 Oct 2017

Delicious - Edit

Great food, great atmosphere, delicious!

KT12

Contributions +19

15 Oct 2017

Breakfast for Dinner - Edit

The food was amazing! I haven't had pancakes in so long! The staff was very friendly and attentive. It had a great atmosphere. Thank you for making my evening in Salt Lake City pleasant.

Pros: Nice variety of food, great staff

Cons: I don't live here.

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vertical Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.