American
Fast food
Take-out
Breakfast

Family-friendly, retro atmosphere diner featuring vegan comfort foods with breakfast served all day alongside cocktails, wine, and beer. The large menu offers choices like breakfast burrito, biscuits n gravy, nacho mamas, spicy fries, ranch burger, philly cheese steak sandwich, the vertical rueben, pancakes, and french toast. Opened 2019, this is a sister-restaurant to the Vertical Diner in Salt Lake City. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm. Delivery 12-7pm.

Venue map for Vertical Diner and The Gold Room
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by IdeaFarmer1

OperationChowhound

Points +4609

17 Feb 2024

Vertical Victuals

I ordered the Blue Plate Breakfast. The tofu scramble was flavorful, but oily. The country potatoes were well-seasoned, soft inside, and crispy outside. The toast is served with butter and/or jam.

Pros: all vegan, off-street parking

HenryLi

Points +827

10 Feb 2024

Good Atmosphere and Food

This restaurant has a nice atmosphere and feels like a traditional diner. The Reuben and vegan chicken fried steak were pretty good. The reuben could use some more sauce and maybe thinner seitan. The vegan chicken was a bit chewy. The food was tasty overall. The tiramisu was great. The staff were quite friendly. I would return here based off of my experience.

sydneystark16

Points +176

03 Jan 2024

Delicious food

Tons of different options to choose from and everything is delicious. Highly highly recommend trying.

Updated from previous review on 2022-01-14

jenna33

Points +274

31 Dec 2023

Love

I love this place!! Great chai lattes, biscuits and gravy, tofu scramble, potatoes, tiramisu, and pancakes.

Updated from previous review on 2023-12-31

AmyForbes

Points +34

25 Dec 2023

Amazing Breakfast

The food, the staff, the atmosphere…all was amazing!!! Can’t wait to go back!

Tarabell150

Points +1087

15 Nov 2023

First time and I will definitely be back!!

I’m so used to having a single option so looking over the menu got me excited. I went with a chai iced tea (delicious!) and got the biscuits and gravy and it comes with tofu scramble and some potatoes and your choice of protein (I chose the tempeh). It was so good!!!! I dined by myself and talked a lot to the super nice server, I think his name was Zach. Great food and great staff!

healerslineage

Points +16

23 Sep 2023

Best vegan food in Oregon

Vertical diner has the absolute best food. It's fast with friendly service, and the prices can't be beat!! 1000% recommend.

Pros: Price, Delicious food, Friendly atmosphere

onlyyummy

Points +32

01 Sep 2023

Lots of options

Great option for breakfast/brunch. Lots to choose from. Friendly staff. It’s not amazing food, but it’s fun and filling.

lynellpastor

Points +44

19 Aug 2023

Cool atmosphere, great food

Very cool place. There weren't many customers but it was early. Portions were ample and the food was well prepared. Will definitely be back on my next visit to Portland.

TaylorGoVegan

Points +820

17 Aug 2023

Great food and vibes!

I LOVE the old school cafe feel of this place. The food is also amazing 🤩

smoothie

Points +40

04 Aug 2023

Cozy and bight, with great options

Such a great atmosphere here. I love to come in the afternoons for tea, coffee, or kombucha and a light bite and of course brunch! 80% of the menu can be made gluten free and all of their foods are house made. Great place to by yourself or with others. Cozy booths and bar. Convenient location right off of I-5.

I love their house potatoes and all of their savory breakfast options, as well as sandwiches and burgers. All the non-vegans I’ve brought here have loved the experience.

JudithWood

Points +291

Mostly Veg
25 Jul 2023

Disappointed

I was excited by the prospect of a BLAT with a reasonable substitute for bacon. Unfortunately, there was nothing appealing about my sandwich (or soggy fries).

The bacon substitute was sliced slabs of tempeh, which were in no way thin nor crispy. I mentioned to my GF dinner companion that I’ve had better “bacon” made from carrots, and she mentioned you can make it better with banana peels!

Lettuce was fine, but it could have used 2 leaves to help offset the huge hoagie roll (not the grilled French bread, as described). Tomato was pallid and tasteless, despite the summer availability of amazing local tomatoes.

My sandwich arrived with sliced raw onions (why?), but not the avocado, so I had to send it back and they added 3 meager slices. The sauce was fine.

Given the wealth of vegan options in Portland, I would not go back.

Pros: Everything is vegan, Some things are gluten free, Uncrowded for a Monday dinner

Cons: Very old-school approach , Food not as described on menu, No zero proof cocktails on the menu

JTol

Points +59

01 Jul 2023

Neat old-fashioned diner

50s diner with all vegan menu. Had the cheese stake and chikn fried stake. Thought the chikn was the better of the two, but both were good.

AprilLynnBoreham

Points +28

18 Jun 2023

5 Stars!

Tried for the first time and Brought my non vegan parents and loved everything we tried! Especially the loaded fries la mesa and mushroom stroganoff. Would love to come back when I'm in town 🌱

Pros: Delicious food! , Friendly staff and environment

marciopacheco9

Points +70

30 Mar 2023

Amazing place

The available selection is great and the food amazing. We stopped by on our way south and on our way back north.

Pros: 100% vegan restaurant , Great menu, Awesome staff

RandiSmith

Points +180

04 Mar 2023

Amazing!

Some of the best vegan food I have ever tasted. Love it here and their Salt Lake City location!

Pros: Always delicious food. , Good service.

AK665

Points +103

26 Feb 2023

Loved!!!

Excellent and large menu. DELICIOUS 😋

Pros: Lots of options, Diner comfort food, Inexpensive

val4vegan

Points +122

20 Feb 2023

Such great comfort Plant Based Food!!

We loved our breakfast here! I had the bombastic biscuits and gravy and Shelley had The Mountain. OMG! So good! The most amazing part was the tempeh bacon ...I have never had such great tempeh bacon ever! So much food too! Our server, Connie, was great! We loved her...so friendly and fun. Great experience...we just wish there was one closer to us. We live in Hayden Island .
Can you please open one here? 😋

Pros: All plant based, Huge portions, Amazing flavor!!!

Cons: Far away from my home...open one near me please☺️

hydr0jen

Points +389

21 Jan 2023

So many amazing options!

Come for excellent food, excellent service, and a super cool retro feel. I came on MLK day when there were 2 people working in the restaurant, and received some of the best food and service I'd had in awhile. I got biscuits and gravy with potatoes, tofu scramble, and sauzage. Everything was incredible!

Dariush

Points +740

02 Jan 2023

Can I clone this place???

I found Vertical Diner on Happy Cow. We need more vegan diners like this- somewhere you can go regularly together with non-vegan friends and family. Service was friendly and prompt. My coffee cup was always full, as it should be. The menu is broad without being unwieldy, with all-day breakfast (of course). I ordered the Mountain- country style potatoes, sauzage, tofu and guac. Great breakfast.

Please bring a Vertical Diner to Hong Kong!!!

FieldRoaster🌱

07 Jan 2023

This is the kind of place I’d pay $1k/year to have in my neighborhood. Eating there is like dining on a cloud.

Dariush

07 Jan 2023

Platypus1

Points +16

18 Dec 2022

Not tasty

My family did not like their meals. The food was just - not good.

Cons: Poorly cooked, Not enjoyable

apple2u

Points +123

16 Dec 2022

So Good !!

My son and I stopped in for lunch today. We ordered the chili cheese fries to start with and then were delicious. My son ordered the Mountain with sausage. He really enjoyed it, I tried some of the potatoes and they were delicious. I ordered the taco salad, it was very yummy. The host was very sweet and attentive. My son does not like spicy food and she made sure to check on him after the food came out to make sure everything was good. I thought that was going above and beyond and I really appreciated her thoughtfulness.

Pros: Good vegan food

Kevbromley

Points +481

10 Dec 2022

Great food

Nice diner style restaurant. Food was very tasty. Had the buffalo tiger wings to start and then Joaquin Phoenix burger.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food

dlachica

Points +2441

08 Nov 2022

Diner style

3p on a Monday and we had the place to ourselves. Great service with a smile! It’s all comfort food, what’s not to love. My comfort on a cold, wet and rainy day… Tempeh BLT and a side of chili. Chili was nicely seasoned and the TBLT was layered with crisp lettuce, perfectly ripe sliced tomato and just the right amount of dressing.

Pros: Indoor and outdoor(covered, not heated)seating, Desserts are made in house, Good size menu, but not overwhelming

RobertUlch

Points +110

25 Oct 2022

Great grub

We’ve eaten at the SLC location an few times and it’s good, but this one is great! The tiger sandwich was amazing, the shroom stroganoff was epic and the service was personable and quick.

Pros: Lots of variety , Great local hard cider , Diner vibe

Cons: Only two locations - UT & OR

KaitlinBaumgarten

Points +704

18 Oct 2022

Great spot in sw

I love that this place feels very much like a traditional American diner, with coffee and everything. I’ve taken non-vegans here, and they’ve really loved it!

Pros: Quick service, Traditional diner

Cons: On the pricy side

KatBread

Points +34

06 Oct 2022

Food and service has really gone downhill since Covid, unfortunately.

I loved their tiger burgers and seitan was pretty good. Not so much anymore.

Updated from previous review on 2020-07-26