CLOSED: VegOut

519-850-8688

646 Richmond St, London, Ontario, Canada

vegan restaurant. Menu includes a range of juices, smoothies, hot and cold appetizers, salads, sandwiches, hot entrees, and desserts. Brunch on Sunday. Try the soy fish and chips and the spanakopita. Casual and comfortable. Previously located in Stratford. APR 2016 REPORTED SHUT.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Western, Juice bar

First Review by funkypeach

Feel comfortable eating at VegOut - Edit

I enjoyed my meal at VegOut very much! I had the pate sandwich and was surprised by how much flavour it had :)
I will be going back as soon as possible!

Pros: Lots of options for vegans, Quick service, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Small space

Sparkle Unicorn Restaurant - Edit

Everything is amazeballs. We order 3 dishes (app, salad, entree) and it never disappoints. Price point is great, staff kicks ass and you can see right into the kitchen YUM FOOD. We go here as often as we can afford, you should check it out!

Pros: Everything is shazam good

Cons: Patio gets annoying with drive by faux "sports" ca

Can't Wait to go Again!! - Edit

Although I am not vegan, I do enjoy eating it as much as I can. Vegetarians options aren't usually very great in restaurants so I decided to try Veg Out. My sister and I just wanted something small so we split 10 mild tempeh wings and a poutine. The poutine was AMAZING!! I love mushrooms so the gravy was delicious, the fries were yummy, and the daiya cheese was good (first time trying vegan cheese). The mild wings weren't spicy at all which was a bit disappointing but overall it was a great experience and I look forward to trying these "fish" and chips everyone is talking about next time!

Pros: Amazing Poutine, Gluten free options

Cons: Squishy restaurant when full

Great Stuff - Edit

Veg Out is a wonderful option (in a place with very little vegan options) in London.

The fish and chips are wonderful, along with their desserts. It is by no means healthy though, as most stuff is deep fried and full of fat. It's a great Vegan Junky Food menu though.

The staff tend to be hired based on how feminist/vegan they are, which isn't a bad thing, except that some of them aren't the best wait-staff.

The location is wonderful, right downtown in an adorable renovated old London home.

Pros: fish and chips, location, patio

Cons: staff, crowded at times (slow service), not the cheapest

The one great vegan restaurant of London - Edit

Having moved to London from Toronto, we really missed all the great options that Toronto offered us as strict vegetarians. We were really happy to find VegOut in London, because it really is the only true vegan restaurant out here. We've dined here twice and really enjoyed our meals. We've had fish and chips, the chickpea burger and a noodle special with mushrooms and other yummy stuff.

Great service, great food, coffee, everything! And locations is amazing - in the heart of Richmond Row.

Oh and in the ladies room, the full-length captain Jean-Luc Picard from the Star Trek is as scary at first (before you turn the lights on) and amazing when you do turn your lights on. :))
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 03, 2014

diverse and delish - Edit

This place was a lovely surprise, I wish it hadn't taken me so long to visit! It's not a huge menu but there is nice variety, so hopefully something for everyone. The only negative is I would have liked more drink options, like juices and smoothies. Overall though, pretty great.

Pros: YUM, tempeh and tofu options, interesting dessert

Cons: not many drinks, small menu

My Go To Place When I Visit London - Edit

I have visited this restaurant twice now with my daughter and son-in-law. We are all vegetarians but not always strict vegans. We have enjoyed both of our meals here. Last night we started with the Chili Fries and a small Caesar salad. I had the Portobello Wellington, my daughter had her fav Fish & Chips and my son-in-law enjoyed the Tamarind Miso Tofu. Normally the noodles in that dish are served cold but when he asked if they could be warmed up it was no problem! We love the food, the staff are good. My only complaint is that we never have room for dessert!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice variety, Good serving sizes

Cons: Restaurant gets filled up quickly!

Unsure - Edit

I have been to veg out several times, and I have never been blown away.
Florine does an amazing job when it comes to selection, quality, and availability. I am always disappointed by the servers, and find that they are either uninterested or uneducated on what is being served (don't know what is in some of the dishes or even joking about not knowing the special). The food is organic, local, and vegan- something rare for London. Definitely worth visiting, but sadly not organized enough to be worth frequent trips, at least for me.

Pros: vegan, local, organic, delicious food, lovely owner and ethics

Cons: a little pricey for small portions, immature and uneducated servers

Great choice no matter you are - Edit

It's too easy to say that this is the best place to eat in London or Stratford - it's the ONLY good choice in either of those towns. But, it compares highly with any vegan restaurant anywhere. Only one waitress and the restaurant was almost full. She was busy but friendly and still stopped to talk and listen briefly several times. Tempeh wings and BBQ sauce were very good. The stuffed squash daily special was recommended and was terrific. I topped it off with fantastic cinnamon cupcake with icing - best ever.

From now on, when I go to Stratford, this is where I eat.

My favourite vegan place in London! - Edit

Veg Out is so cool! Staff is incredible, you can always see that they are enjoying their work in the kitchen - even on busy days!
The food is sooo tasty! I dream about the chilli cheese fries in my sleep. The cheesecakes are absolutely divine - I could probably eat the whole cake in one sitting. The atmosphere is always inviting and cozy. I love it here!

Pros: Food that is to die for, Excellent service , Reasonable prices

Cons: Odd hours sometimes

Sensational! - Edit

Just passing through London for a few days, so I can only base this on one meal, but I will definitely go back if I have the chance! The place was not too busy, the staff was friendly, and the food was incredible! Everything on the menu looked amazing, but unfortunately I only have one stomach. So... The spicy wings were nice, with a delicious tzatziki dip. The sunflower seed pâté was out of this world! Maybe I don't get out enough, but I swear I've never seen that anywhere. And even though I was already a bit full, the cheesecake was phenomenal. They were a little apologetic about the purple colour (it had blueberries), but nothing would have dampened my enthusiasm at that point.

If you live nearby, or are just passing through, you definitely have to try VegOut.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Vegan

Cons: Not located inside my kitchen, Can't sleep outside by the entrance, I totally would

Service was cold and uninterested - Edit

I purposefully made a One Hour Drive with my Meat Loving husband(he was willing to try it out) to try out this new Restaurant. After stopping to get some Vegan shopping done at our fav market we struggled to find the Restaurant. This left us with a time limit. I came in at 4:15 and asked if I could do take out. I was told kitchen doesnt open for 15more minutes. I explained how excited I was to make the one hour trip but time wasnt going to allow me to wait to long. The server wasnt to excited that anyone would take the time to drive an hour just to try their food. Never offered anything not even a sandwich something to leave me satisfied and wanting to come back. I asked if I could get a smoothie to go. I watched her put frozen fruit and No Name apple juice in a blender and charged me $5 for it. Tried to strike up a conversation and still nothing. Looks like the consensus on the reviews that the service is cold and distant. Although excited to try the fish and chips wont likely make the trip again. Will stick to the local friendly cafe in Sarnia.

Cons: Hard to find, Service, unfriendly

We need more restaurants like these! - Edit

From the Cold Beet soup, to the massive veggie burgers and Tempeh wings, this place has gourmet vegetarian/Vegan food for everybody.
Even those who still eat meat cannot resist those Tempeh Wings.

Pros: Variety, Delicious, Vegan

Cons: Martinis are a bit pricey, Inside could be bigger, Can get really busy

Yum :) - Edit

All I can say is try the chicken wings! Sooo good!!

One of my new favourites - Edit

Thank god for Veg Out. I really love everything about this place and my two meals there have been vegan perfection. The veggie burger, while not as firm as I like, was deliciously seasoned and "decorated". Lovely sweet potato fries, as well. The tempeh "buffalo wings" were amazing. Totally hit the spot, and I can't wait to try the fish and chips. Don't miss this place!!

UPDATE: have now visited over 25 times. Great food, great service, great people. An absolute gem. If their special fake tuna is on, dont miss it!

Incidentally, I realize that a person will have different experiences every time they go somewhere, but in my two visits, I had excellent service. Not just good - but better than good, so perhaps management has heard the complaints and acted. Or perhaps I just got lucky....

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 15, 2011

BEST VEGAN RESTAURANT!!! - Edit

We were hestitant on trying VegOut, thinking it would be a "fly by night" type of business....we were so wrong!
When we got there, there was only one other couple eating. So I thought, is this an indication of what we're in for? With some doubt, we sat down and looked over the relatively small menu. (Don't be fooled by that though.)
As for the food. From the beet drink that we had, to the raw zucchini wrap appetizer, to the falafel collard wrap main dish and followed by the oreo "cheese" cake...EVERY single bite was delicious! My family had other items and agreed that it was the best vegan restaurant meal we have ate! The food is amazing!!!
By the time we were part way through our meal, the restaurant was quite busy, and the waitress (only one), was still smiling and did not seem overwhelmed or frazzled. She still took the time for little things such as fillig our water glasses without us even asking. She answered ALL our menu questions and was VERY knowledgeable. She went above and beyond excellent service!
We were pleasantly suprised by this small little place. I can honestly say that it is the BEST vegan restaurant we have ever ate at, and we've ate at some good ones in different cities near and far. I would highly recommend it.
I hope that someday they are able to expand in size, to accomodate more, so I would suggest making reservations to guarantee a table.
The prices are bit on the higher end, BUT for the quality of a great vegan meal, it was well worth it.
VegOut is now our first choice when eating out.
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 18, 2012
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 19, 2012

Pros: excellent food, exceptional service, healthy

Cons: limited seating

I love to Veg Out - Edit

I go to Veg Out whenever I'm in London. I love that they have raw and gluten free options. I find their food full of flavour and a good variety of different dishes. Their "chicken wings" are great and I love their bean burger and pate sandwich. I think the portions are decent sizes and decent prices.

Pros: gluten free options, take out discount if you bring container, bike delivery service!

Cons: it isn't closer to me, there arent pictures of their food

Great food! - Edit

I love Veg Out. The "fish" and chips is pretty terrific. Don't bother with the avocado toast, though, it's nothing special.

Pros: Great food, Good service

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: VegOut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.