VegiLicious

• Vegan
Contact 714-377-3928

16821 Algonquin St Ste103, Huntington Beach, California, USA, 92649

Opened Feb 2013, this natural food restaurant promotes healthy body and mind by providing vegan cuisine made with organic vegetables.

Category: Vegan, American, Japanese, Organic

First Review by spiceislandvegan

One of our favorite restaurants - Edit

We love Vegilicious. I don't even know where to start. We like everything: the food, the owners, the ambience. If only all restaurants cared this much about sourcing the best quality ingredients - organic, wholesome, non-gmo, and used them so skillfully to prepare delicious and healthy dishes from scratch, because they care about us, customers. The only problem I have with Vegilicious is that we don't live right next door. Cause we would eat there all the time, but we can only enjoy it when we visit occasionally. Can't wait to go back there soon.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Organic

fresh beautiful vegan - Edit

I love this place. The food is garden fresh and beautifully prepared, the cafe is decorated whimsically and the owners are as friendly as is humanly possible. I go here when I'm hungering for a hearty burger or curry or a creamy vegan dessert. Top notch.

Delicious, friendly, healthy - Edit

First impression is the warm and friendly greeting! Food is very tasty, combos are generously portioned, and the attention to quality shines through. Can't wait to come back.

Pros: Everything is vegan, High quality ingredients, Attention to detail

cute atmosphere - Edit

The atmosphere and service is really nice. It could definitely use more options. The item they're best known for is the teriyaki burger which is pretty great and I enjoyed our green tea ice cream as well!

Pros: friendly service, cute atmosphere

really bad menu - Edit

It was unfortunately a bad experience of vegan food. The people are very friendly, but the food was terrible.

AkiraNakao Your family ordered 3 appetizers, 1 big salad, 4 soups, 2 burgers, and 4 curry plates, and everyone else clearly finished all the food except your curry plate.
I asked you if you didn't like the curry and you told me the rice was cold so you didn't like it. I apologized to you many many times and explained it was the result of natural time passing while serving a lot of food especially putting the vegetable toppings (4 orders x 20 vegetable pieces) on your curry plates. It is impossible to serve these many orders super hot while we are operating the restaurant just by me and my wife. Everyone else understood. And I did NOT CHARGE you.
It is very unfortunate you posted such a bad review that makes me and my wife cry after serving you all organic food made with love and our utmost hospitality. We have been making people happy and healthy and trying to help save the environment, hungry people and animals. We wanted to make you happy too but you did not like the rice, so I did not charge you and apologized to you many many times. It is very unfortunate to see this review.

Amazing gem found in Huntington Beach - Edit

I completely love Vegilicious! The decor is modern and comfortable. The food was excellent. I ordered the garbanzo bean curry which was delicious. For dessert I had coconut ice cream which hit the spot.

The food was amazing and the service just as amazing. The owners were extremely sweet and welcoming. If I lived in california I would be here all of the time. I really appreciate good service since its hard to find. If you live here it's highly recommended. If ur a little out of the area, it's worth driving to.

Once the word gets out I have no doubt that this restaurant will always be busy. Also the prices are very reasonable. Compared to a restaurant in my local area, I paid much less and the food was better. The curry that I had was only $9.95 for a full plate.

Pros: Excellent food, Amazing customer service, Good value

Amazingly delicious Japanese-American vegan food! - Edit

This is one of our favorite vegan restaurants in S. California. It is a lovely place with a serene, Zen-like atmosphere. The owners and waitstaff are always very gracious, friendly and kind, and the service is attentive and efficient. The food is very healthily prepared, high quality, organic vegan food that even hard-core meat eaters will enjoy (despite whatever misgivings they may have about vegan food). My wife and I have sampled much of the menu, and everything has been fresh, beautifully presented and incredibly delicious. In particular, the miso soup is by far the best I've ever had. The corn chowder soup is incredibly creamy and tasty. The curries are amazingly subtle blends of many herbs and spices that form an unforgettable taste sensation. We love the vegan chicken tenders, the amazing teriyaki burger, the beet salad, 5 grain rice, and for desert the awesome vegan chocolate cheesecake with vegan coconut ice-cream on the side. They really put their heart and soul into this food, with great attention to detail and high quality, and the result is - perfection! This is truly unique gem of a restaurant - we are so very grateful to have them here in Orange County. For such outstandingly high quality organic food, the prices are very reasonable and actually it is a good value. We cannot say enough good things about this place - try it and see for yourself!

Pros: Delicious vegan Japanese cuisine, Organic and healthfully prepared, Zen-like serene atmosphere

Delicious! - Edit

what a gem of a vegan restaurant! my son and I devoured their signature curry and bean dish. The miso soup was amazing. you can tell the owner Akira puts lots of love and care in his dishes. we also ordered the teriyaki burger, which is a restaurant favorite, and it lived up to its reputation. i think my son devoured it in less than 2 minutes! dishes come with multi grain or jasmine rice. all is organic, with no added salt or oil. such a healthy restaurant! the chocolate cheesecake with strawberry ice cream was out of this world. definitely coming back! thanks for the great service julian!

Updated from previous review on Sunday November 24, 2013

Decent place to eat - Edit

The food was good, but I must say it wasn't well prepared. It's usually pretty quiet and empty. I went in by myself and ended up paying $24 for a meal which consisted of rice, curry, a "chicken" cutlet, and a drink. Overall, it was delicious, but in my opinion, wasn't worth the price.

Nice place - Edit

We heard this place was open so we swung by and the door was open but there was a closed sign. The owner greeted us and invited us in to eat anyway. It was 4:30 and they normally dont open til 5:30 for dinner. We ordered the corn chowder soup, terryaki burger, a salad (cant remember the name it and a slice of chocolate cheesecake to go. The service was excellent and so was the food. We cant wait to go back and try the signature curry.

Not What I Expected - Edit

We called ahead on the phone to make sure we could get a seat when we arrived. They said no problem, and to our surprise there was no one else in the restaurant when we arrived at 7:00pm on a Thursday night.

I had asked on the phone what were the best items on the menu, and they recommended the curry above all else. We sampled the curry and it was very different and not at all like a traditional Thai curry. More like a thicker gravy like consistency. It wasn't pleasing and we couldn't imagine ordering an entire entree. We chose to order two of the sandwiches instead, the teriyaki burger and the pan-fried tempeh. Neither choice was very good. I also ordered the miso soup and it was okay, but agin not like a traditional offering.

It was disappointing that they didn't have a few more traditional items on the menu, like a sushi roll, a vegetable stir fry, a seaweed salad, etc.

We will not be going back, based on our experience with the strange food and heavy reliance on fake meats.

Sorry guys, but I must be honest about our experience,

Pros: New, Clean & Well Appointed, Friendly, Caring & Attentive Staff

Cons: Limited Menu with strange offerings, Missing the traditional Japanese items, No liquor license

AkiraNakao There are two things that are significantly different from the truth in this review.

Curry has a lot of variety and there are no "traditional' one especially in India. Every restaurant and individual makes their own originals. Thai curry is not what VegiLicious provides either. Japanese curry always contains beef extract and MSG.
VegiLicious' curry is made with many kinds of spices and a huge amount of organic vegetables and contains very little fat although he says it is like gravy which will make the readers think their curry is greasy.

VegiLicious' miso soup is made in the most traditional way in the Western Japan region. They use only a lot of kelp for the broth and the most expensive organic miso paste imported from Japan unlike most Japanese restaurants who use dashi powder containing MSG and cheap miso paste containing food additives.

Vegilicious is delicious! - Edit

It is easier to find this place if you look for Trader Joe's first. Then, after you find TJ just walk past its entrance to a series of restaurants lined up by it. This place is right in the middle of the line. You won't be able to see this restaurant from the parking lot.

This place got class and delicious food. I haven't yet tried their signature curry. I was so tempted to try their teriyaki sauce since that's what I like. I ordered Grilled Chicken (soy chicken) Teriyaki Sandwich. I added the additional cup of Sweet Cream of Corn Soup and a glass of Iced Organic Tea.

Based on all the tastes that entered my mouth from the iced tea, corn soup, teriyaki sandwich, and the side of edamame, I gave this place a 5-stars rating. The iced tea was refreshing and tasted like a home-made iced tea. I can drink a lot of this kind of tea. The sweet cream of corn soup was delicious. I wanted more. The teriyaki sauce was out-of-this-world. It is the best vegan teriyaki sauce I have ever tasted. It is none of those taste of store-bought teriyaki, soyaki, island teriyaki, or anything you bought at Trader Joe's or Kikkoman, or any other brand. It was smooth and delicious. The whole grain bun was soft and yummy. The sandwich came with a side of edamame that was fun to eat. The only thing I would add to the sandwich was a slice of juice organic tomato which would add color and taste to the sandwich. That's if I make this at home, I would do that. The 5-stars rating is based on deliciousness. When I eat food that I keep wanting more and more of the taste, I give it a 5-stars. It is the umami of the food that kept me want more and more. Their food has a lot of this umami.

The decor is very classy. From the arts, lamps, tables, chairs, live plants, and organization, this place has class. It is also harmonious like the owner knows Feng Shui or something like that. He must have a nice house or home arranged like it. It makes you feel comfortable to eat in it because it feels organic and natural. The dining experience is not just from food but I also believe that it comes from its environment. I gave this place a 5-stars rating on environment.

The service was super good. However, I came when it is new and hardly anyone in it. I can't judge what will it be like when it is crowded. The waiter was very attentive to my need and was very friendly and nice.

Pros: Delicious, Natural, Organic

Cons: Expensive, Small portion, Hidden from parking lot

Return to Huntington Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has VegiLicious closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7089 times since Feb 2013.