Vegie Mum

Contact 03-98163222

27 Village Ave, Doncaster, Victoria, VIC 3108

Serves Chinese food with various mock-meats plus Malay dishes. Gets busy and loud at meal times. Caters for events. Tue-Sun 12:00pm-2:30pm, Tue-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Catering, Malaysian

First Review by Aloo

Excellent food in a little old restaurant - Edit

A friend recently celebrated his birthday here. It was a large group, and they served up a banquet! We all ate too much - including the majority who were omnis. The stand out dish was one I unfortunately can't name, but it had custard-like silken tofu and I'm pretty sure I remember the staff-person saying it contained olive leaf. The Roast Duck was also excellent, and my husband liked the Sweet and Sour Pork best. Another noteworthy dish was a "special" chili fish, which was made from tofu and seaweed to rather realistically take the shape of a large whole fish, head, tail and all - impressive and simultaneously disturbing. There were so many dishes that I lost count, and all of them were good, very good, or excellent.

The decor is old and tired, but once the food started coming I stopped noticing. However, the acoustics in there were terrible, and with a full restaurant, it was hard to hold a conversation, something that it was harder for the quality of the food to make up for.

Pros: Excelent food

Cons: Noisy

Not quite the "Veggie Hut"! - Edit

Yeah, good food, fast take away!

Great entrees...Good prices...

Smelly restaurant and well past its use by date....needs a well overdue Facelift!

Pros: fast service, good pricing, tasty

Cons: restaurant needs a face lift, bland fried rice, small Main serve, too much Rice in Lunch box

Quick & casual - Edit

Ordered a Laksa and a Gado Gado. Both were pleasant enough but not outstanding; a little on the bland side.

The price was very reasonable however and the staff quite helpful.

Pros: Quick service, Well priced

Cons: A little noisy

Great Chinese Food - Edit

I frequent this place often. Plenty of mock meat which I tend to avoid. I love the wonton soup for a light little lunch. Their lion head hot pot is so yummy with the tofu meat balls that don't freak me out too much, lots of vegetables cooked in their natural sauce. Exquiste. Look out for Steve the waiter - he has the best personality ever. Only complaint would be the accoustics when it gets too busy.

Favourite For Vegetarian Food in Melb! - Edit

If you are looking for A1 Vegetarian Char Koay Teow or Hor Fun or fried combination noodles
in Melb, this is the place!
Easy to find parking, generous portion, a lot of Wok Qi, nice Sambal Belachan.....yum yum....

Pros: Generous portion, Tasty food, Friendly staff

Still going strong - Edit

This place has been around for 5-6 years now and is clearly a well-loved institution. However, at our last visit recently, we were disappointed to see that prices have gone up but the serving sizes seem to have become less filling. Overall, if you're in the area, this is a great venue, but it's not worth more than a 20-minute drive...

Lastly, if you are after a quiet meal, then this is not the restaurant for you. The eating room suffers from a lack of sound panelling of any sort, and even 20 diners (out of about 50 max) make enough noise for it to be unsettling.

Pros: tasty food, good service

Cons: some dishes not cheap, interior has started to age, very loud if more than half full

great food - Edit

Great food for lunch or dinner, wide choices. Lots of dishes done in style of traditional chinese resturant dishes (lemon chicken, sweet and sour etc) but others too. Satay sticks (and other entrees) are particularly yummy as others have already said! Have always had friendly service. Definitely more casual cafe/diner style than fine restaurant. Attracts a wide cross section of customers, family friendly. Wish it was 'round the corner- would probably eat there every week.

Pros: extensive menu, friendly, good value

Cons: bit out of the way

scary but delicious! - Edit

as a vegan the crazily realistic squid, beef and chicken were almost frightening... but after some reassurance from the staff and my non-vegan family i was able to eat and enjoy the food. didn't try the fake prawns but my family said they were delicious. everything was so surprising and good, much better than we all expected! the lemon chicken tasted a bit funny.. but the satay chicken skewers were delicious! my meat-loving aunty was very impressed. very friendly staff but waitress was a little confused by vegan, she didn't realise honey wasn't vegan and she said the 'buttered prawns' were vegan.. and then came back a few minutes later apologising. desert options were good for my family but no vegan goodies for me, until they brought out some gelatine-free jelly which was very very yummy :) overall very happy and will definitely go again!

Pros: friendly staff, yummy food, great variety on menu

Cons: didn't know about vegan options, lemon chicken yuck

Something I have never experienced before! - Edit

We were given a table at this crowded, noisy eatery, and it was an hour before we got served. Four later-arriving tables were served ahead of us. Food was over oily, but otherwise quite tasty. When we asked for sweets menus we were told we could not have sweets, and were told to leave, as the second sitting for our table was waiting (out in the cold). First we had heard of second sitting! We were not permitted to take away sweets either (altho' we saw others doing this). This eatery is seriously under staffed and overbooked. I have never been treated so rudely, anywhere.
This was our second visit, as our first visit was not great, and we thought we should give them another go - but now we have learnt our lesson.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: noisy, crowded, lacking decent staff

Great food. Not expecting much as had never tried mock meats apart from the sausages and vegan roast plain that you buy in the supermarket..which I liked but couldn't imagine a lamb or fish or chicken replacement in a asian dishes.. Well I was shocked. Also because of it being so far from the city was skeptical about the quality but as soon as we got there pleasantly surprised. Appeared to be just as many other Asian/Chinese restaurants I had dined in around Footscray, Springvale etc...BEFORE I stopped eating meat/dairy. Anyway, greated with a friendly man who poured us some tea and explained EVERYTHING was veg and everything vegan or able to be made vegan. We had satay skewers for entree whcih (if you remember) were like tandoori chicken with a satay sauce, delicious. I had Mongolian Lamb for a main, absoultely delicious. Frehsher tasting than what I remember those sorts of dishes to be, lots of veggies and lots of'"meat". Generous size, filling. I think $13. Friend had Lemon chicken..agian delicious. And other had just cocunt curried vegetables. We wanted to order everything. Can't wait to try fish. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Oh, they do take away too!

Pros: Great tasting food, Great service, Huge variety

Cons: Distance.

Very Good - Edit

This is an excellent restaurant. Good price. Good serving size. Good service. The only negative is that, like a lot of Australia's gems, you need to drive to get to it.

Pros: Food, Price, Service

Cons: Location (distance)

Woweeeee! - Edit

I read the reviews & booked a table tonight for my lil sister's 17th b'day dinner. The setting was typicaly asian restaurant/takeaway, but the food and service beat anything I had ever experienced!! My gosh, the food! It was so YUM! I think I'll explode because I ate so much! And the service was better than what I've experinced in expensive restaurants. It was the nest dining experience I've had in a very, very long time. Highly recommend.

Pros: Delicious cheap food, Super Staff, Casual Environment

Cons: NONE

Friendly service and great food - Edit

We have enjoyed Vegie Mum for lunch and dinner many times and have never been disspointed. Great, fresh food..served with a smile adn reasonable prices.

Return to Doncaster Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegie Mum closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8950 times since Aug 2007.