Vegie Mum

• ( 30 reviews )

27 Village Ave, Doncaster, Victoria, Australia, VIC 3108

Serves Chinese food with various mock-meats plus Malay dishes. Gets busy and loud at meal times. Caters for events. Open Tue-Sun 12:00pm-2:30pm, 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Catering, Malaysian

First Review by Aloo

WeFewVeggies

Points +339

08 Aug 2021

Veggie Mum or Veggie Hut, you decide!

Yeah, good food, fast take away!

Great entrees...Ok prices...

Smelly restaurant and well past its use by date....needs a well overdue Facelift!

Updated from previous review on 2015-10-28

Pros: fast service, good pricing, tasty

Cons: restaurant needs a face lift, bland fried rice, small Main serve, too much Rice in Lunch box

Tofulicious

Points +1093

22 Apr 2021

For Veggies Who Don’t Like Veggies

Great value for money, if you prefer lots of protein and stodge with negligible veg; I prefer a far greater proportion of veg.

Updated from previous review on 2021-04-22

DanH

Points +461

27 Feb 2021

Very good flavours and food

Now open for dining as of late feb. Was very happy after eating here. A simple little restraunt. Family style, basic place. Food is very good. Amazing flavours. A mock meat heaven. Had the fish curry, sweet and sour Pork and beef noodles (all Vegan) and it was great. Will be returning.

jym

Points +26

26 Jan 2021

Great food

Love that their mock meats taste great.

PlantsRCool

Points +65

09 Jun 2020

Great food

Currently Doncaster location is only open for takeaway.

Highly recommend the sweet and sour pork.

max.melb

Points +61

31 Aug 2019

Specialty Dishes witj Very Friendly Staff

Place is bit small but the specialty dishes are great. Specialty fishes were no longer available in tecent visits to the Doncaster restaurant.

Cons: Atmosphere is far from classy.

Guest

21 Jul 2019

Straight up great food

Vegie Mum offers great service with friendly and knowledgeable wait staff, the food is very tasty, well presented and great for sharing in groups. Food comes out of the kitchen fast so you don’t have to wait long to get your meal. Definitely check it out for some high quality Asian vegan and vegetarian cuisine.

Pros: Great service , High quality food, Reasonably priced

Cons: Can be loud when busy

PamVegan

Points +50

01 May 2019

Great for take away

Extensive menu of Asian dishes with lots of mock meat. Vegetarian and very helpful identifying the few dishes that are NOT Vegan (usually contain honey). Easy to place an order for take away and it’s ready for pick up 10mins later. Perfect after a hard day shopping at Doncaster Westfield as it’s just down the road!
Good quality food with generous portions.

Pros: Massive menu, Quick to prepare food, Welcoming staff

Cons: Interior is lacking atmosphere , Some dishes would benefit from more chilli

kemran

Points +13

31 Jul 2018

Great Chinese food

It's not a hipster place, just damn good Chinese food. Great for groups to share. I don't usually eat mock meat, but tried a couple dishes for the experience; the entre duck was amazing, no idea if it tasted like duck though. And the chicken I tried had that marrinade I use to love on BBQ wings. Also lots of great non mock meat vegie options, the Sichuan eggplant was melt in your mouth. I finished it off with durian icecream, which I loved, but you got to be into that kind of thing. Service by the manager was exceptional, he was very animated.

ShaneGosper

Points +59

Mostly Veg
06 Jul 2018

Waitress welcome to Vegie Mum for the first time. The menu has lots of options.

Enjoyed the food, fast service like the food was nearly here on my arrival... prepared. The waitress had a lovely smile and gave me some suggestions what to choose of the menu. No complaints from me, no desserts are available.

Pros: Lots of options , Fast service , Pretty good car parking

Cons: Not bad in price. , Ambience is to above average , More of a lunch time dinning.

NHveg

Points +42

23 Jun 2018

Delicious, quick and generous serves

This is a great restaurant with friendly staff and delicious food. Everything was vegetarian, made vegan if egg is removed. The service was very quick.
Just watch out for egg!

Pros: Quick service, Heaps of options, Friendly staff

Cons: Egg in many dishes

Buddy45

Points +95

24 Feb 2018

outstanding

Great restaurant - the mock fish is great .. Steve the waiter Steven is a legend!

Pips

Points +1367

10 Nov 2017

Best Vegan Eats in Doncaster!!!

This place is great! Really good authentic Chinese/Malaysian vegetarian food. Excellent catering for vegans, just tell them no dairy, egg or honey and they will sort you out. There are lots of choices. We had the spring rolls and Lobak both great. And the Fried Flat Rice Noodles this was amazing great wok flavour. And the Asam Soy Fish again very nice it has a Tom Yum flavour. Loved it all. Will be back for sure.

Pros: Amazing food!!!

Cons: Serves dairy, egg and honey.

MichelleKline

Points +22

30 Aug 2017

Disappointing

Firstly the restaurant is freezing so rug up. I order mixed vegetables & tofu with rice (safe favourite) Initially my order came without Tofu then I send it back and then there were 2 pieces. I asked if that was a mistake but was told that's how much you get. The lettuce delights I ordered never came, which I guess was a blessing since all the food was bland. My friend ordered a noodle dish, which was also tasteless. Soy sauce saved the day. Her entree came out as a main. This is the last place I would take someone to champion a vegan menu

Pros: Huge Menu

Cons: Bland food Poor value for money Freezing restaura

Michael Dodd

Points +48

28 Jan 2017

LOVE THIS PLACE

Hands down the best Vegan Asian food in the area. 10/10 for the Chef and the Staff.

Pros: Price and value for money, The Manager is awesome

Michael Tait

Points +149

08 Nov 2016

Now Equal Best in Melbourne

Vegie Mum has always offered good vegetarian Asian food, but due to highly creative new dishes, and the appointment of an effervescent Maitre d' (Steve) it continues to get better and better. This allows the excellent chef to devote more time to expand the menu. All staff are friendly and efficient, and the only downside would be the decor which is somewhat spartan and acoustically reflective (noisy when busy)

Pros: Great food , diverse menu, Reasonable prices

Cons: Noisy, Can be cold in winter, hot in summer, Free parking (but only half hour in many areas

BreakfastKlutz

Points +11911

06 Feb 2016

Similar

Large serves of decent food, more flavour would be nice, the spicier dishes are still mild

chocoholicPhilosophe

Points +814

24 Nov 2015

Excellent food in a little old restaurant

A friend recently celebrated his birthday here. It was a large group, and they served up a banquet! We all ate too much - including the majority who were omnis. The stand out dish was one I unfortunately can't name, but it had custard-like silken tofu and I'm pretty sure I remember the staff-person saying it contained olive leaf. The Roast Duck was also excellent, and my husband liked the Sweet and Sour Pork best. Another noteworthy dish was a "special" chili fish, which was made from tofu and seaweed to rather realistically take the shape of a large whole fish, head, tail and all - impressive and simultaneously disturbing. There were so many dishes that I lost count, and all of them were good, very good, or excellent.

The decor is old and tired, but once the food started coming I stopped noticing. However, the acoustics in there were terrible, and with a full restaurant, it was hard to hold a conversation, something that it was harder for the quality of the food to make up for.

Pros: Excelent food

Cons: Noisy

PotatoesTho

Points +12941

10 Jul 2015

Quick & casual

Ordered a Laksa and a Gado Gado. Both were pleasant enough but not outstanding; a little on the bland side.

The price was very reasonable however and the staff quite helpful.

Pros: Quick service, Well priced

Cons: A little noisy

SimoneTracey

Points +102

10 Nov 2013

Great Chinese Food

I frequent this place often. Plenty of mock meat which I tend to avoid. I love the wonton soup for a light little lunch. Their lion head hot pot is so yummy with the tofu meat balls that don't freak me out too much, lots of vegetables cooked in their natural sauce. Exquiste. Look out for Steve the waiter - he has the best personality ever. Only complaint would be the accoustics when it gets too busy.

vegelover

Points +270

04 Sep 2013

Favourite For Vegetarian Food in Melb!

If you are looking for A1 Vegetarian Char Koay Teow or Hor Fun or fried combination noodles
in Melb, this is the place!
Easy to find parking, generous portion, a lot of Wok Qi, nice Sambal Belachan.....yum yum....

Pros: Generous portion, Tasty food, Friendly staff

vegan mikal

Points +394

24 Jul 2012

Still going strong

This place has been around for 5-6 years now and is clearly a well-loved institution. However, at our last visit recently, we were disappointed to see that prices have gone up but the serving sizes seem to have become less filling. Overall, if you're in the area, this is a great venue, but it's not worth more than a 20-minute drive...

Lastly, if you are after a quiet meal, then this is not the restaurant for you. The eating room suffers from a lack of sound panelling of any sort, and even 20 diners (out of about 50 max) make enough noise for it to be unsettling.

Pros: tasty food, good service

Cons: some dishes not cheap, interior has started to age, very loud if more than half full

Mat

Points +31

30 Apr 2012

Lovely

Great food here. My favorite is the Thai warm Salad with Oyster mushrooms. Its devine. service is usually good and reasonably priced.

Pros: Love the food, good value , good service

vgough

Points +57

30 Jun 2010

great food

Great food for lunch or dinner, wide choices. Lots of dishes done in style of traditional chinese resturant dishes (lemon chicken, sweet and sour etc) but others too. Satay sticks (and other entrees) are particularly yummy as others have already said! Have always had friendly service. Definitely more casual cafe/diner style than fine restaurant. Attracts a wide cross section of customers, family friendly. Wish it was 'round the corner- would probably eat there every week.

Pros: extensive menu, friendly, good value

Cons: bit out of the way

vicyk

Points +39

17 Mar 2010

scary but delicious!

as a vegan the crazily realistic squid, beef and chicken were almost frightening... but after some reassurance from the staff and my non-vegan family i was able to eat and enjoy the food. didn't try the fake prawns but my family said they were delicious. everything was so surprising and good, much better than we all expected! the lemon chicken tasted a bit funny.. but the satay chicken skewers were delicious! my meat-loving aunty was very impressed. very friendly staff but waitress was a little confused by vegan, she didn't realise honey wasn't vegan and she said the 'buttered prawns' were vegan.. and then came back a few minutes later apologising. desert options were good for my family but no vegan goodies for me, until they brought out some gelatine-free jelly which was very very yummy :) overall very happy and will definitely go again!

Pros: friendly staff, yummy food, great variety on menu

Cons: didn't know about vegan options, lemon chicken yuck

Pamela JC

Points +17

01 Mar 2010

Something I have never experienced before!

We were given a table at this crowded, noisy eatery, and it was an hour before we got served. Four later-arriving tables were served ahead of us. Food was over oily, but otherwise quite tasty. When we asked for sweets menus we were told we could not have sweets, and were told to leave, as the second sitting for our table was waiting (out in the cold). First we had heard of second sitting! We were not permitted to take away sweets either (altho' we saw others doing this). This eatery is seriously under staffed and overbooked. I have never been treated so rudely, anywhere.
This was our second visit, as our first visit was not great, and we thought we should give them another go - but now we have learnt our lesson.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: noisy, crowded, lacking decent staff

Avatar thewaitchild

thewaitchild

Points +29

17 Feb 2008

DEFINITE WINNER!

Great food. Not expecting much as had never tried mock meats apart from the sausages and vegan roast plain that you buy in the supermarket..which I liked but couldn't imagine a lamb or fish or chicken replacement in a asian dishes.. Well I was shocked. Also because of it being so far from the city was skeptical about the quality but as soon as we got there pleasantly surprised. Appeared to be just as many other Asian/Chinese restaurants I had dined in around Footscray, Springvale etc...BEFORE I stopped eating meat/dairy. Anyway, greated with a friendly man who poured us some tea and explained EVERYTHING was veg and everything vegan or able to be made vegan. We had satay skewers for entree whcih (if you remember) were like tandoori chicken with a satay sauce, delicious. I had Mongolian Lamb for a main, absoultely delicious. Frehsher tasting than what I remember those sorts of dishes to be, lots of veggies and lots of'"meat". Generous size, filling. I think $13. Friend had Lemon chicken..agian delicious. And other had just cocunt curried vegetables. We wanted to order everything. Can't wait to try fish. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Oh, they do take away too!

Pros: Great tasting food, Great service, Huge variety

Cons: Distance.

Return to Doncaster Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegie Mum closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.