Vegie Hut

• Vegetarian
Contact 03-9898-2287

984 Whitehorse Rd (at Station St), Box Hill, Victoria, VIC 3128

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant, re-opened Apr 2013 after a break. Menu features a variety of mockmeat dishes such as crispy skin vegeduck and steamed vegefish. Dim sum on Sunday. BYO license.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Asian

First Review by lynmartin

Passive/aggressive greens - Edit

Almost recklessly, my friend and i wandered in here without a booking on a Friday night. I'd blown in for the weekend at the start of the year. The place was packed, and the woman at the front told us there were no seats available.

Just as we were about to leave, some mysterious event such as a cancellation occurred, and we were asked to wait a minute. A short time later we felt like tv stars (?) as we were ushered to our - exclusive ;) - table.

The place has a nice, cosy atmosphere. My friend liked all his dishes, and i liked one of mine, but i had a strange desire to get a plate of greens - that turned out not to be such a good idea.

It looked like a heap of stranded leaves with an unsettling smell, covered in a thin sauce with the flavour of garlic and something i didn't like.

I ate - or faced up to? - a little, then left it. Even so, my friend took care of the rest.

All in all, nice atmosphere, but only 4 stars, because the dish i liked wasn't that great, and i didn't like the greens. That said, my friend at all with abandon.

Pros: cosy, nice atmosphere, reasonably priced

Cons: not vegan, not vegan , what is that green stuff?

Delicious - Edit

A wonderful example of traditional Chinese foods made vegetarian (and mostly vegan). The staff were very polite and educated on menu items; happy to point out which dishes had eggs or dairy and make them without it. The setting and decorations seemed a little off, but the mood was light and happy. The oolong tea was delicious and complimented every dish. The lemon chicken, sweet & sour pork and special fried rice were all well cooked and presented, though maybe slightly sweeter than expected. Portion sizes are large and pricing is quite fair at around $16 per main. Deffinitely going here again.

Pros: everything can be made vegan, cheap, friendly staf

Needs more vegies - Edit

Quite a large menu with an abundance of mock meat items.

Would like to see more vegetable based dishes and more freshness and flavour.

The Sunday Yum Cha session is worth trying at least once as many of the choices are Vegan.

Pros: Well priced, Quick service

Cons: Very mock meat based

Lacking - Edit

Could really do with more flavour in the meals. While the food generally looks inviting, it tends to not quite deliver.
Service is good and the yum-cha (sundays) is good value and worth trying at least once.

Classic Chinese Cuisine, with an Upbeat Vegetarian Buddhist VIBE! - Edit

BEST IN MELBOURNE!
Classic Contemporary Chinese Cuisine, NO MEAT!!! We eat here Weekly...Lunch is best Value with many Combos to choose from. Dinner is often fully booked on Weekend recommend Reserving a Table. Sunday Yum Cha Rocks! My Favourites are LAMB Curry, ROAST Duck on Fried rice, SATAY Skewers AND the Best LAKSA in TOWN! Gluten Free and Vegan Options....BLACK Sesame Ice Cream for Desert YUM!

Wonderful food with good service - Edit

We went in for lunch and must have just beat the crowd. Enjoyed every bite of soups, dumplings etc., from a diverse menu. Great flavour, nourishing and healthy, with speedy service. Highly recommended. If they delivered (I have too many small kids to dine in regularly), one would be tempted to make a weekly meal of it.

Pros: Great food, Quick service, Central location

Cons: Can get crowded

Great Location - Edit

Well located in the mid of Box Hill. Dishes are great too but place is really tight and too crowdy in busy day.

Pros: Dishes are good. Restaurant feel environment.

Cons: Pricey comparing to othet local veggie restaurants

Mock meat heaven - Edit

Really enjoyed Vegie Hut when I visited Melbourne. The menu is very heavy on the mock meat so there is plenty of choice for those who enjoy faux meats. Staff were not always sure which dishes were vegan however. Very busy which is a testament to how good the food is. Definitely recommended if you are a fan of veggie Chinese food.

Pros: Great choice, pleasant staff

Cons: Staff unsure which dishes are vegan

Nice Variety - Edit

Came here on christmas eve. It was super busy, we had booked ahead.we ordered an 1 entree 2 mains ans 2 sides of rice. We only received 2 mains and a side of rice, but im glad then forgot because it was plenty of food for us, haha, maybe they knew! I had the sweet and sour pork and my partner, the sizzling black pepper nuggets (which was changed to these chicken balls because the nuggrts were not vegan). Both dishes were amazing, the mock pork was cripsy and the sauce was great. The sizzling nuggets had this amazing peppery sauce, it was so good. My partner only wished the nuggety ball things were cripsyer

Pros: Alot Of Variety, Lovely Food

Cons: Staff A Little Bit Hard To Understand Sometimes, Bit Pricey

Exceptional Chinese Food - Edit

Nice comfortable restaurant with friendly staff - especially Karen. Such an extensive menu. I love the spicy eggplant dish, the exotic monkey head mushrooms served on a cast iron dish, don't mind hopping into the XO crabs and their malaysian style curry is sensational complete with tofu, fresh curry leaves and a myriad of vegetables including okra (a personal fave of mine). Consider the yum cha for lunch on the weekends which also includes a complimentary congee. Yum.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 10, 2013

One of Our Favourites - Edit

Been to this restaurant for years >10 years, always great food, great taste, friendly hosts.

I think they need to expand to a bigger size!

Do try their Char Koay Teow, Vege Pork Ribs & Mee Goreng! Yummm

Pros: Great Taste, Vegetarian Pork Rib is excellent, Always inventing on new dishes

Cons: Can be hard to park at times., Can get a bit too crowded.

Delicious! - Edit

Vegie Hut has the best noodle soups with the bountiful amount of noodles given and the generous amount of sauce it has to be the best. It is one of the only restaurants I know that has my traditional recipe that my grandmother use to make. This dish is called 'Guo Za' which is provided on Saturday's. I look forward to that dish in which I crave from when I was little.

Pros: Generous amount of food given , The prices are managable, The restaurant looks beautiful

I love it - Edit

I have been going for a few years now. I love the food. I have the Pickles Delight and the Mee Goreng which are my usual favorites. When I have had dinners with a group there I have ordered things like, Sambal Spinach, Spicy Egg plant, Curry Mock Lamb and Sweet and sour Mock Ribs which i have all loved and enjoyed. The entrees there are lovely too. I like their curry puffs and fried dumplings. Also the boos has renovated the place. It looks better and cleaner. I love some of the Buddha images on the wall and the fact that a TV has been put up along with the renovations shows that the owner is willing to spend money to improve the place and cares and thinks about the place. Always good for me.

Pros: I love the food, Service is good, Good vibe about the place

My regular favourite - Edit

I really like this place. It serves an extensive Chinese menu but with fake meat instead of the real thing. I have tried a lot of different dishes and have liked every one. My favourite is definitely the sweet and sour pork though! But there is a huge range, with everything you can find on a normal Chinese menu. There is also a number of vegetable and/or tofu dishes for people who don't like the fake meat stuff.
The best thing about this place is that my meat-eater friends love it. I think they actually like it more than I do - they are always the ones that want to go there. The worst thing is that it is quite small and very popular. Be sure to book in advance. It's closed on Tuesdays.
The prices are very reasonable. It usually costs me about $20 in total - with a main dish, appetiser, rice and tea.

Consistently Excellent! - Edit

I have been going to this restaurant for around twenty years now, and I believe that it needs congratulating for its consistently good food and excellent staff.
Nothing is ever too much bother for the staff, and the menu offers such a variety of mouth watering options.
We will keep returning!!

Pros: healthy cuisine, great staff, clean premises

Cons: sometimes cannot get a booking

YUM! - Edit

We eat here all the time, in fact we are very boring, according to our children. Always yummy, the soups with some crispy 'duck' or 'pork' on the side is fantastic lunch option and very reasonable. Have always found the service good, even with a big group and children etc.
If you want more vege based dishes you can order them, we always get a plate of greens.
You generally need to book.

Pros: food choices, service, good value

Can I Live Here? - Edit

Me and my friends stopped in to Vegie Hut on a whim and a long drive out of town- it was well worth it. Excellent mock chicken and pork with fantastic sauces and presentation. Great prices ($11.80 for my meal) and friendly service.
highly recommended!

Pros: Portion size, Price, Great taste

Cons: not in the main city, small

An establishment - Edit

If you're a vegetarian in Melbourne, then this place is an establishment you need to visit. Price wise it's ok. Not the cheapest but not too bad. Check out their weekend specials and Yum Cha.

Pros: Location, Menu

Cons: Location, Price

Melbourne's best - Edit

Remains the premium vegie restaurant in Melnourne, closely followed by 'Enlightened.' Moderately priced, consistently great tasting, offering many mock meats. Good service, ambience ordinary (noisey shop and old & tired looking decor). Parking can be a problem. Can be full house on occaisons so best to book. Michael Tait

Pros: great food, good service

Cons: ambience, primitive loo

it's okay - Edit

Expensive for what you great. Staff are not 100% aware or sure of what is vega. Maybe it was just the one guy. The food was nice but it's very much the same as most mock meat chinese resturatns apart from the Vegie Hut is more expensive.

Pros: Nice food

Cons: unhealpful staff, no vegan desert

The best vegie laksa in Melbourne - Edit

Laksa is one of those things that can be made so badly, or just so, so well! This one is tasty with just the right blend of spices, rich coconut milk and tofu pieces that just soak up the soup. Usually they have a few beans (otherwise not too many vegies in it). Different styles of mock meat including "chicken" and "prawns". With fresh corriander, this meal size is large and satisfying. Thier black pepper soy nuggets are pretty good too. I have never had anything that was not good there, actually, but laksa is still the very best!

Pros: fresh food, consistent quality, nice ambience

Cons: service can be slow, very busy, parking difficult

Return to Box Hill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegie Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2645 times since Aug 2007.