CLOSED: Vegi Food

• Vegan

Contact 510-548-5244

2083 Vine St, Berkeley, California, USA, 94709

Small and simple vegetarian food restaurant that's a 15-minute walk from downtown Berkeley BART. Lunch menu is concise; dinner more extensive. No egg, onion, or garlic used. June 2013 Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Buddhist

First Review by alanflum

I could eat here every night - Edit

A Berkeley Vegan classic. Although we live in Los Angeles every trip to the Bay Area is timed to arrive here before closing. Incredibly tasty, varied and imaginative faire. No onion or garlic, strictly Budddhist vegan.
Mai is a wonderful hostess.
Try to Blue lake Green Beans, Pot Stickers, Won Tons, Hot and Sour soup, Soy Sheets with Greens, Sweet and Sour Walnuts (or mushrooms).
Worth many returns.

Pros: Great food, Warm vibe, Daily specials.

Cons: 350 miles from my home...

Too oily :( - Edit

Every once in a while I crave Chinese food and came across this place a couple days ago...meh. It was ok but seriously bland and way too greasy. I usually get several dishes when trying out a new restaurant and the mushu wasn't bad but the plum sauce was.
I think the rice may have been Uncle Ben's, hehe. The eggplant dish was oil...and some eggplant. One of the orders was just a box of steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. No sauce or spices. Geez.
To top it off (no pun intended) they didn't even give us any soy sauce, which was totally necessary. (no fortune cookies either)

Super lame!

Pros: vegetarian

Cons: oily, tastless, wrong order

best vegetarian chinese option in berkeley - Edit

Very tasty fried won ton appetizer. Hot & sour soup was excellent (thankfully not too salty). It had an updated menu than what you can find online. Shredded soy protein sweet & sour & Tofu sheet with lemon sauce entrees were tasty. Tofu puff with mushrooms was not what was expected (little too saucy & mushy, bland and tasteless). Definitely worth another try.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Fast & friendly service, Classic ambience w/ white walls & sunlit

Cons: Cash only, Parking can be an issue

This place makes me smile! - Edit

Really, this place does make me smile. The woman who runs it is so incredibly sweet, funny, and has a great memory. The first time I was in there she said "you're new!" and every time since has remembered me. And she helps her customers avoid parking tickets!

The food: No onion or garlic, so you might think it's a bit bland. Sometimes, I would agree with you. My suggestion is your first time order something that has ginger, as they use it well and it helps give that richness of flavor you'd have from onion/garlic.

Best meal: Bean curd sheets with greens. I've been dreaming about it since that last time. Dark leafy greens, topped with crispy fried tofu skins. I added some chili flakes to spice it up a bit, but it was sooooo goooood anyway.

Atmosphere: Sparse. Not a romantic date, and not good for groups as the sound bounces around like crazy. Seems to be ideal for catching up with a friend or a solitary dinner. And, to go is easy too.

Best deal: Go for lunch!!! Cheap entrees that come with rice, soup, and little vegan wontons. I even had leftovers once.

Pros: tasty wholesome food, best owner ever, cheap

Cons: sparse atmosphere

Simple but good - Edit

Many years ago, we had eaten in the Vegi Foods restaurant in San Francisco and enjoyed it, so decided to try the Berkeley namesake. It turns out that the proprietors were the same, though these premises were more spartan than those we remembered. This is a famly-run business, and that probably helps keep prices down, since we found them quite reasonable.

There was a fairly extensive menu, and we had soup, egg roll and main dish. Portions were large, and the food was tasty.

The restaurant is quite small, and only one other table was occupied when we were there. Service was very prompt.

We would go back to Vegi Foods if we are in Berkeley in the future.

Pros: Good food, Prompt service, Extensive menu

Cons: Rather spartan

No no no! - Edit

I was absolutely disappointed when my partner and I tried this place. The food was terribly bland and most if not all of the veggies in each of the two dishes we ordered seemed to come out of a can. Both of the dishes tasted like soy sauce and that's pretty much it. The rice actually seemed like it might be minute rice. I hate to be harsh on a vegetarian restaurant but this place was pretty awful. I would never recommend this place and will never be back.

Cons: bland, canned vegetables, minute rice

spiritual dining - Edit

This Buddhist temple food is good but only for those who want food without the stimulating effects of garlic and onion and meat; "others" might find the food bland. The thing I question is the personal hygiene of the server; she wiped either perspiration or something onto her sleeve. Left me wondering....and nauseated. I'm giving three stars for the food only.

Pros: Friendly, personable service, Fast, Variety

Cons: Server's hygiene

It's 'our' place - Edit

We love this place: good prices, really yummy Buddhist vegan food, we always get our table, and the owners are adorable. The ambiance is a little lacking but it's a cute little hole in the wall and we love it. Great for vegan/vegetarians with student budgets, a short walk from Shattuck, we always go home with leftovers that are enjoyed the next day. Open long hours every day, as well.

Pros: Great prices, Good portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Only takes cash

wished I liked it more... - Edit

... but have to admit I was not impressed.

mock chicken is squishy. sauces are salty or bland. veggies are overcooked.

passable in a pinch, but I would never recommend it...

totally nice staff/owners, though.

Pros: location, staff, price

A wonderful hidden gem - Edit

This restaurant is easy to miss with its plain exterior and modest interior. However, once inside you will be treated to wonderful home style Chinese food that is totally vegetarian.

The owners are very warm and friendly. The husband is the cook, the wife serves the food. She is very friendly and will remember your favorite order after you have been there a few times. The food is delicious. Don't miss the sweet and sour walnuts, they are a unique treat. The prices are very reasonable. My wife and I have been regulars for over three years and rarely end up spending more much over $20 including two entrees, brown rice, and an appetizer. Highly recommend this little gem in Berkeley.

Pros: excellent food, warm and friendly service, totally vegetarian

Cons: don't take credit cards, bring cash!

Return to Berkeley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Vegi Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 827 times since Aug 2007.