CLOSED: Veghead's Drive Thru

Contact 828-505-8540

705 Merrimon Ave, Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28804

Asheville's first vegetarian drive thru, established in 2011. Offers different tempeh sandwiches, wraps, salads, a kid's menu, seitan philly, and sides. APR 2014 REPORTED SHUT, PHONE NOT WORKING.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by mathman

Best fast food EVER - Edit

This place is awesome! Salads are great, the lemon-tahini dressing is out of this world. The Philly "cheese steak" sandwich is insanely good- seitan that's out of this world delicious, made vegan without the cheese. The falafel wrap is delious as well. Get a black bean brownie- an amazing vegan dessert!! Not a huge fan of the hummus wrap- the hummus is delicious don't get me wrong, I just prefer their other items. I've never seen the place crowded- my husband and I usually split 3 items and a brownie and it's around $20/25.

Pros: Healthy drive thru!, The Philly cheese steak is vegan!, Great prices

Cons: Limited seating is outdoors only, Not open late

loved it ! - Edit

Really liked the Korean BBQ wrap and the Falafel wrap. The couscous slide was very tasty too.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 13, 2012

don't forget to get a "frequent eater's card" to qualify for a free luncheon after 10 visits

Pros: friendly, fast, inexpensive

Cons: none

Yummy! - Edit

This place was great! It was really fast, and the staff knew right away what was vegan vs veg. I had the philly minus the cheese, and it was delicious! I was really excited to try the peanut salad, but the pasta was a bit undercooked. Other than that, I would stop again!

Pros: Great flavors, Fast

Good Stuff - Edit

The food here is good and well priced. It is awesome to have fast food that is vegetarian. I would prefer that they were better informed about what vegan ingredients are, and have more true vegan options, using vegan sugar, ketchup, etc. Great place though.

Pros: Fast, Great tasting

Veggie Drive Thru!! - Edit

Want something tasty and isn't raw fruits or vegetables on the go? This is your place! This One thing you have to remember is you are paying for convenience. If you had time to go home and create your own vegetarian/vegan you could. But for options on the go, it doesn't get much better than Veghead.

The seaweed salad was amazing! The 'steak and cheese' was very good, even though I regretted the health chose later.... My wife had the dirty rice which she really enjoyed.

Check it out!

Pros: Convenient

Vegan Fast Food! Love it. - Edit

I love the Hummus/Avocado Wrap and the Falafel and the Korean BBQ Tempeh has an awesome sauce... also, seems like most days they have a Special (sometimes vegan, sometimes not) and delicious soups. How Fabulous to have healthy, vegan fast food!
A more expansive menu would be even nicer.

vegheads. i wanted to love you but i didn't. - Edit

i really wanted to love vegheads. planning our trip to asheville this year, we were excited to try out a new veg place. the menu was a bit limited for vegans, but that didn't throw us. i was super-excited about trying their "fast food" burger, and i found a side (other than chips) that didn't have onions (i'm not a fan at all). so we rolled up, got two mountain burgers, two sides of peanut pasta salad, and a cookie. $27, which i normally wouldn't complain about at all.

but the food wasn't great. the mountain burger was loaded with cumin, which is a spice i personally cannot stand. i wasn't able to eat it at all, but my wife ate hers and said it was a basic, old-school veggie burger. not great, not terrible. i figured i'd eat both our pasta salad sides, but unfortunately, they were loaded with onions, though onions were not at all on the list of ingredients (i always double-check since i detest them so). that left me with the cookie. it was double chocolate, and the chocolate chips were so old that they were almost white. very disappointing.

i'm not the type to complain usually about ANY place that serves vegan food (seeing as i live in an area where the closest veg restaurant is over an hour away), but this was definitely an unfortunate dining experience. kudos for the great idea of a veg drive-thru. just need to maybe update the menu to include the correct ingredients. and maybe increase the vegan options.

Pros: it's a veggie drive-thru

Cons: food was not great, ingredient list not true to dish

Great idea! - Edit

I think it's a great idea to have a healthy fast food option for once! It's expensive and tastes good. I got the vegan bbq tempeh wrap and it was fantastic.

Pros: fast, inexpensive, yummy

Cons: somewhat limited vegan options

VegHead's Drive Thru - Edit

I ordered a Mountain burger (vegan) and a brownie (also vegan) and got the pair for under $13. The burger was great: a tasty patty cooked just right on a nice bun with L & T; and the brownie was rich and smooth.

OK, so the "food" part of "fast food" was fine; but guys, you're aching me with your slow service. I arrived exactly at noon on a weekday, but it took 17 minutes to get my burger-and-brownie order. There were several cars lined up at the drive-thru window, but a few at the back gave up and left. As far as I could see, there were three people working inside: either more people are needed, or more pre-lunch-crowd prep should be done to speed things up. If this is fixed, the place has a bright future.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 13, 2011

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Veghead's Drive Thru closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.