First Review by juliej

The Rise of Veginald Perrin - Edit

I've known about the existence of this place for over a decade and at last an opportunity presented itself to make the 400 mile trip and visit. Boy was I pleased. Traditional Indian, Gujarati and Southern Indian food freshly made by a passionate family run operation. The vegan choice is outstanding. Other than the odd paneer dish and raita dressing it's pretty much all dairy free. We started with popadoms served with a finely chopped and fragrant onion salad and chutney. Starters were onion bhaji and a lightly spiced potato ball dish called Bateta Wada. Main course was my benchmark Indian dish of vegetable madras and a Kerala vegetable dish. This was served with rice and chapatis. Washed down with Kingfisher beer the whole event came to £27. Staff were very pleased to hear of their great reviews on Happy Cow. Long life to Veggie Perrins.

Pros: great food, great prices, friendly

Fantastic Choice and Value - Edit

Great little place offering all vegetarian and a wide choice of vegan food, cosy atmosphere and great value for money. Food was delicious and the staff very friendly and accomodating. Will definitely visit again next time I'm in Portsmouth.

Pros: Vegan choices , Accomodating staff, Quirky decor

Fantastic value and superb food! - Edit

We visited Veggie Perrin's just after 6pm on a Monday and were pleasantly surprised to get a Pay and Display parking near the entrance.

The restaurant is homely, cosy and romantically lit. Service was prompt easy going and relaxed with helpful efficient staff.

We ordered take away and eat in meals and it was food to die for, which was honest, fantastic in taste and awesome value for money. The chef accommodated our extra requests to perfection and all the food was not typical Indian bathed in grease.

We will most certainly bring our friends and be going back many times more!

Paul & Clare

Great Indian restaurant - Edit

This is a very unusual Indian restaurant - well worth visiting.

It is small and personal, run by the very helpful owner and his family. It can be busy, so worth booking a table.

The food is genuine Indian (not the anglicised version found so often), and very good.

We last went on a Thursday when there was a special South Indian set menu - three courses for just £12.50. The food was very fresh and tasty, spicy but not too hot, all of it vegan, and very enjoyable.

We travel over an hour to get there - and it's always worth it.

Pros: Great food, Friendly and personal, Excellent value

Cons: Wish it was closer!

Top curry house! - Edit

"I didn't get where I am today by eating meat!"

Excellent food and service. The menu was almost 90% vegan. Bill, the owner was friendly and attentive, without being at all intrusive. He told me he had ambitions to open a second restaurant in Totnes, so fingers crossed...

I love Gujarati food!

The Bateta Wada starters were perfectly cooked, if a little underspiced for my taste. Bringing me chutney instead of dairy raita inspired confidence. So many places still bring raita after I've said I'm vegan.

I moved up a gear and went for a Madras main, which was absolutely perfect. My mouth was tingling but not quite burning. The chapatis were beautifully thin.

I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Plymouth.

In the meantime, I might dig out my Reggie Perrin videos :-)

Pros: Great!, Super!

Cons: No farting chairs

Best Indian I've had in years - Edit

My girlfriend and I visited this restaurant as it was one of the few places in Plymouth that offers a vegan menu. From the start we were made welcome and comfortable by the staff. Waiter was extremely helpful in helping us make our choices and the owner was polite and more than happy to talk. The food was of outstanding quality and an absolute bargain. We both felt very satisfied by our visit and for myself was the perfect meal for a perfect weekend away. Would suggest anyone that's in the area try this place out as I will without a doubt return next time I'm in the area.

Absolutely worth a trip! - Edit

We traveled about an hour to Plymouth to try Veggie Perrins, and it was absolutely, totally, completely worth it.

The owner is welcoming, the menu gets a chuckle just for the puns, and the food is EXQUISITE. Best of all, it's such a bargain that we might actually have saved money driving the extra distance for a three course meal than staying closer to home and eating at a typical British-Indian place.

The food definitely has a unique and flavorsome kick! When they say mushroom rice, they MEAN mushrooms! Same with the garlic. Perfect, perfect flavors.

They currently only have one vegan dessert, but if you like mango, it's refreshing and doesn't feel like a compromise whatsoever.

We did show up exactly when the opening hours were listed, and as the restaurant didn't actually spring to life until 15 minutes after, we had to loiter about the block pretending not to stare longingly at the restaurant's "Closed" sign -- but they do take bookings, so in the future we'll be sure to telephone ahead.

Pros: Fantastic flavors, Helpful staff, Value for money

Return to Plymouth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veggie Perrins closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3534 times since Aug 2007.