CLOSED: Veggie Holic Bakery

• Bakery Bakery

Contact 070-4114-0458

257-7 Yeonnamdong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea,

Vegan-friendly bakery cafe making a large selection of breads, pastry, cookies and cakes in addition to chocolate truffles. Coffee and soy milk-based drinks available, as well as organic lemonades. Sells soy/coconut ice cream. Previously located at Donggyo-dong. NOV 2014 reported shut by multiple sources.

First Review by Sebastian Vegan

Meh - Edit

I was hoping for something more. Maybe it was because it took me forever to get there (I got lost). But once I got there I just wasn't into it. The baked goods aren't very sweet or savory. They are a bit spongey. Also it had a very similar selection to Paris Baguette.
I was really hoping for some loaf breads for sandwiches. Or nice savory rolls to have with tea. A cupcake? Something.
It wasn't bad it just wasn't delicious so I'll give it 3 stars. Maybe someone else will have a better experience.
I should give it another try but it's quite far for me.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Far from the subway, Language barrier, Expensive

A Great Treat - Edit

I'll start by getting one small criticism out of the way: the "sweet" stuff (pound cake-ish, cookie-ish, etc.) was rather bland and quite dry. Perhaps it's just a consequence of possessing a western palette, but I found those items, while not altogether bad, somewhat underwhelming. For "dessert" items, there is truly no place better than PLANT.

As for bread and savoury items, Vegeholic has it figured out. I sampled about 12 items there and although the sweets didn't do much for me, the brioche, ciabatta, baguette, pizza thing, and a few other things I can't identify by name were excellent. I see myself making special trips there in the future just to pick up some bread.

It possible to acquire those items vegan elsewhere, but you can never truly trust Koreans when it comes to veganism. They will always try to sneak an egg into your baguette or some milk into your ciabatta. It's actually amazing how they seem to be unable to use the stuff fast enough. For that reason, a place like Vegeholic deserves my (and I hope all other vegan's) business. They are trying to do the right thing and their product is great.

It's worth the hike over there to chow down on some goodies and sample the sweets for yourself, but also to support one of the tragically few businesses operating in this country within an ethically respectable framework. Do your part!

Pros: Bread, Free Tea, Treats

Cons: Somewhat out of the way

vegan baked goods!? what's not to like?! - Edit

This bakery is awesome! They do so many things, and everything is vegan friendly. We live in Japan, and it's so difficult to even get bread here that doesn't contain dairy and eggs, so the fact we could get breads, cakes and cookies was much appreciated. Visited a couple of times on a recent trip, and would definitely go back. I tried a beansprout and garlic (?) tofu filled bread roll, an almond bread (which was sweet and had jam inside - so good!) a raisin and walnut bread, and a tofu pizza. All were really good, and I can only say I'm glad I don't live around the corner, as I'd be as big as a house!!

Pros: sweet and savoury breads, vegan cookies, delicious soy caramel lattes

Delightful - Edit

I went to Veggie Holic with high expectations, and for the most part I was impressed. The chocolate and blueberry muffins were wonderful! The cookie was so hard for my liking.. but they had many choices! I was overwhelmed and wanted to buy everything. I would definitely go back. They also carry vegan ice cream....which was my favorite! But, everything was more expensive than I had planned on.

Pros: Many Choices

Cons: High Prices

My regular bakery in Seoul - Edit

I'm a host of woman only, eco-friendly guesthouse. Veggie Holic is one of my favorite bakeries for vegan in Seoul. I stop by there every other (or third) day for my guest, and sometimes with my guests. I like fresh bread including the juice of Rubus coreanus. Veggie Holic bakes bread by local wheat flour. That's all the more so to think well of her so I love it.

Pros: local food, vegan, friendly staff

Bakery For Vegans! - Edit

Vegans:Imagine walking in to a Bakery and being able to eat whatever you like! Trust me you won't eat the whole bakery because the astronomical price would stop you. Still, this place is awesome!

Here is my attempt to explain the directions. Please feel free to add Directions.

Hongik University Station, Exit 3
Cross the Dirt Street. Make sure you are on the right hand side of the dirt street. (*Not the the Police Station side.*)
Walk down past the Viva Apartment Buildings, till you see a GS25 make a right.(The problem was, on the other side of the dirt street there is a GS 25, as well.)
The hip looking place is the Bakery on your left.

Pros: Vegan Bakery, Cookies, Korean Style Garlic Bread

Cons: Hard to Find, Lady Doesn't Speak English, $$$

Vegan Bakery Heaven - Edit

Since I am living in Beijing, where there is no vegan bakery, I was really in need for vegan baked goods. The Veggie Holic Bakery was therefor the right place for my desire! Everything looks really good there and the taste is even better. I have tried several cookies, a nice caramel latte and many more items. Well, everything is vegan, but definitly not healthy. It looked like they don't use organic ingredients or whole-grains. But I guess you should not be too picky looking for vegan stuff in countries like Korea or China.

The English speaking waitress was really friendly and helpful and put everything nicely together for take out. Even after beeing back to Beijing the items were still fresh and I have enjoyed them for more than one week. I have loved the wraps the most: Stuffed with tofu and cabbage and some more veggies, they were really amazing! The bakery offers seatig and take out. At the time we have been there, we were the only costumers, so it was a little bit lonely to sit upstairs where they have a huge room with a lot of tables. The only con were the price: Most of the items cost about 2000 to 3000 Won. But giving the fact that everything is vegan and really tasty I felt that it was well worth it.

Pros: all vegan , friendly stuff, nice location

Cons: pricy, not organic, not using whole-grains

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Veggie Holic Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1790 times since Nov 2012.