First Review by Annabel09

Very Disappointing - And Kinda Scary! - Edit

The owner unlocks the door to let you in and then locks it behind you - its that sketchy of an area. And with the parade of characters heading for the soup kitchen, I can appreciate her need for feeling safe. Was a bit nervous about the car - that's exceptionally rare for me.

As for the food - after reading such great reviews, I was very disappointed. The thickeners used made the three dishes we had nearly unpalatable. Very little "chickn" in the chicken dish. Hot and sour soup was barely edible.

Much better options.

Wonderful! - Edit

We went for a late lunch and were the only ones there. The owner was really friendly, and the food was delicious. I ordered a bowl with a variety of vegan meats and noodles. It came with spring rolls, sauce on the side and underneath the noodles there was lettuce and fresh herbs, it was really nice and fresh tasting. My husband had the lemon chicken, which was also really tasty. We're doing a cross-Canada trip from Vancouver to Halifax, so it's nice to see such wonderful options in places unexpected.

Pros: Reasonably priced, friendly service

The Great Hole in the Wall - Edit

Great Food! However, don't let your first impression of this funky neighborhood deter you from entering.

Cooked fresh and served hot. Great destination for vegans and vegetarians.

Pros: Inexpensive , Hospitable , Delicious

Must-have for vegetarians/vegans in Edmonton! - Edit

We always make sure to stop in at the Veggie Garden whenever passing through Edmonton. The menu is very affordable, and provides a wide range of tasty options. They offer a range of faux-meats (we love the cashew 'chicken'), noodle dishes, and great varieties of tofu. The owner/manager(?) is soo nice and always very appreciative of her guests. I'm craving their food just writing this.. check it out!

Pros: Great food , Very affordable , Huge menu

Love this place! - Edit

Veggie garden is a good everyday eating kind of place. It's not fancy or flashy but that means the prices are reasonable. If you need a place to eat good food, that has a wide range to choose from then I say go there. I love the food, I have eaten there over 5 times and the only complaint I have is that once I felt like the noodle to "chicken" ratio was not right. Most recently, the last meal I had from there lasted for 2 meals. The staff is friendly. It is a smaller operation which can be a positive or negative.

Pros: food, friendly staff

Cons: closes early

Not good - Edit

I'm with Rachel16, who wrote a review below. Yes, the prices are decent, but the food isn't. We tried four dishes. None were good. The Hot and Sour soup was poor, the other dishes were mediocre at best. Only the rice paper rolls were good. This is not worth it, even with decent prices. Padmanadi, just down the road, is so far superior, it's hardly worth discussing. Yes, more expensive, but as they say, you get….

Pros: Prices reasonable

Cons: Food salty, not flavourful

Delicious! - Edit

Food is flavourful and delicious every time! Service is friendly and atmosphere is clean and modern. Price is very, very reasonable (2 appetizers and 2 entrees came to under $26). :-)

Pros: Tasty food, Menu has variety, Clean

Cons: Location

Hidden Gem - Edit

This is my new fav spot for a vegetarian, vegan food. the prices are amazing also and the portions are big. The staff is friendly and the food is amazing, very fresh. I went last weekend and decided i needed to go back tonight.

Pros: Good Price, Good Quality Of Food, Yummy

Cons: Location

friendly service, great price, delicious - Edit

This place isn't trendy and beautiful like Padmanadi but the food is just as good and half the price. We tried the lemon chicken with steamed rice and stir fry veggies with cashews. Both were outstanding. Each entree is only about $7. The veggies were perfectly cooked. The woman serving me was one of the friendliest I have ever met.

As others have stated the restaurant only had a few customers, unlike Padmanadi that had a line waiting to get in. It is too bad they are located near each other as it is tough for Veggie Garden to compete.

Pros: great prices, friendly service, fast and delicious

Cons: so so atmosphere

Awful Food - Edit

I dont know what all the other reviews are talking about their food is truly revolting. They didn't have many vegan options and the ones they did have on the menu they were out of the ingredients in the back. They tried to make-shift a vegan wrap for us with dry plain black beans and tomato sauce... It tasted how it sounds, bland and disgusting. Tried eating their fried options and they were greasy and flavourless. We ended up leaving before they even brought us all our food as we simply couldn't eat another bite. Would never go back. As a side not the chef's kids were also running around the restaurant the entire time making for a poor environment as well... Not that it could get any worse. That wouldn't have bothered me as much if the food had been edible.

Cons: Disgusting Food, Awful service, Poor decor/location

VegGamer 28 Jan 2014 - I am wondering if perhaps you are posting for the wrong restaurant - the Veggie Garden that this thread pertains to has a huge menu that is basically ALL vegan - except maybe the milkshakes.

Veggie Gem! - Edit

I need to go down town every few weeks and I always plan to stop off here for lunch. I love supporting these people. Good food, great prices, good philosophy, but sadly empty much of the time I am there. Come on vegetarians of Edmonton let's support this gem.

Pros: Very Inexpensive, Good Food, Great service

Insanely low prices! :) - Edit

YOu will not believe your eyes when you get the bill at Veggie Garden. You will think that they've made a mistake because the price is so low! This restaurant gives big portions and is amazingly affordable. I absolutely love their lemon "chicken" and chow mein with shiitake mushrooms. The food is cooked very well, the veggies are still crispy and nothing is overdone. Tea is free, and the staff are extremely polite and accomodating. I feel sad for them that I've never seen the place busy, it is in a bad neighbourhood and I think that hurts their business.

Pros: amazing low prices, delicious food, very nice staff

Cons: bad neighbourhood

Super cheap but tasty - Edit

Food here is very affordable and tasty. My recommendations: Shanghai noodles and #15-Wonton soup. My wife loves the lemon chicken. Service is very friendly. Did I say it was cheap?

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Good portions

Cons: Location may be a turnoff to some people

Rad but make sure there is no eggs in your dishes - Edit

I like this place. Its close to home, super cheap, staff is friendly, and its quiet. However the first time we went I made sure to ask if any of the dishes had egg in them for binding/breading/etc. Out of the 5 dishes we ordered 4 of them did. I am always sure to double check now. They are very helpful and honest about the egg just make sure to ask.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Close to home

Cons: Some dishes contain egg

Wonderful Vegetarian Restaurant!!! - Edit

I am so glad to have discovered the Veggie Garden online when looking for a new vegetarian restaurant to go to for my birthday lunch! The food, prices and service were all excellent!!! The restaurant was spotless and decor simple, but very nice. I would highly recommend this even for non-vegetarians since my three lunch companions are all meat eaters, but still found the food very tasty. The menu is available online (they also do take-out), is extensive and has many vegan options. Run, don't walk to Veggie Garden and bring your friends and family since if this small, family run establishment doesn't get some more business they may not last as long as it should. If you like Padmanadi, you'll love this place - the food is better and cheaper. This little gem is a wonderful addition to Edmonton's minimal vegetarian restaurant options!

Pros: Excellent food, Very reasonable prices, Friendly service

Wonderful vegetarian restaurant! - Edit

This is a wonderful family-run restaurant that seemingly goes largely un-noticed by vegetarian diners. They serve very tasty vietnamese- and chinese-inspired vegetarian dishes, and are committed to serving only vegetarian food, I think as a matter of principle. The prices are incredible, making it possible to have a hot and delicious vegetarian meal for under $10. The ladies that run this place are very sweet.

I go to this restaurant probably weekly or more for lunch or supper. It is never very busy, but the food is worth every penny. I think they could use more clientele, and it would be great if more people would support this business's commitment to vegetarian cuisine and values.

Great asian vegetarian restaurant. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Pros: excellent food, affordable prices, friendly staff

My New Oriental Veggie Place - Edit

Loved it!!! I have been wanting to go to a vietnamese veggie restaurant forever and I now have one where I live.
We had spring rolls, the #9 Soup (Rice Noodle with Tofu, Mushroom, Dried Bean Curb, Veggie Ham and Chicken), Lemon Chicken, Salty and Crispy Shiitake and rice. All of this food for $27.00! My favorite dish was the lemon chicken. Loved the relaxed atmosphere, the friendly staff and the huge menu! I will be back sooner than later!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Value, Great Food

AMAZING - Edit

I came here today for the first time and was completely blown away by the uality of food and service. I had the lemongrass beef vermicelli bowl, deep fried wontons as well as spring rolls. The vermicelli bowl was extremely hearty and delicious, the beef was extremely "beef-y" which I really appreciated! The spring rolls were crispy & perfect and the deep fried wontons were a little too mushy on the inside but still tasted great due to the zesty flavor. I will be definitely coming back for more!!!

Pros: Amazing food, Fast service, Clean location

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veggie Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.