Veggie Fun

Contact 401-270-4700

123 Dorrance St (at downtown), Providence, Rhode Island, USA, 02903

Pan Asian vegetarian restaurant opened since Oct 2012 and turned all-vegan as of Jan 2016. More upscale atmosphere, prices moderate and up. Has an extensive wheat free section on menu.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Asian, Kosher

First Review by Lz

Happy they are now all vegan! - Edit

Happy to see that Veggie Fun became all vegan a couple of months ago! The service is always friendly and quick. The menu is an eclectic mix of items spanning most of the major Asian cuisines. Lunch specials are a good value. Our favorites are General Tso's chicken, Singapore Noodles and anything on a sizzling platter. The sweet and sour soy protein is the sticky red sauce - just like what we remember from the 70's and 80's. While we don't often order dessert, we've been quite happy whenever we did.

Pros: Now all vegan!, Kosher!, Good for downtown tourists & waterfire!

Enjoyed it! - Edit

Stopped in with kids for lunch and all enjoyed our meals! Lots of various faux meat options for all the dishes, fresh veggies, great sauces.

Pros: lunch portions, good food, Good atmosphere

Wonderful food in downtown Providence - Edit

I had the Singapore Noodles, and am so glad I did! I look forward to trying other items on their menu. Very friendly, attentive service. Nice atmosphere. Highly recommended.

As of 4-Sept-2015, this place is currently listed as "Vegetarian" on Happy Cow, but it is 100% vegan.

Pros: Great food, Friendly service, Very pleasant atmosphere

Divine! - Edit

WOW! I honestly cannot say enough about this place! First, the service is THE BEST IN PROVIDENCE. The servers are ALWAYS super pleasant and attentive. The decor is really nice-it's dark, and I love that! (There is a very interesting "design" on the floor which VERY closely resembles the female reproductive system which I absolutely LOVE).
The food, OH THE FOOD!!!
Try EVERYTHING! It is ALL amazing! I particularly favour the "sizzling tofu plate" (not sure that's the actual name of the dish, but it's the only "sizzling" option on the menu). My kiddos LOVE it here, as does my husband and newly-vegan father. My favourite drink of the Thai iced tea. . .too DIE for! I easily order at least 3 EVERY time! I just cannot help myself, it's SO DAMN GOOD!!! This is hands down our favourite restaurant in the 401! GET THERE AND TRY IT!!!

Pros: SO many vegan options!!! Great location!!! FANTAST

Cons: A tad expensive, but it's to be expected.

Delicious! - Edit

The staff was so nice and helpful! We enjoyed our stay and liked the food very much. Soy and seitan mock meats were delicious just like in the best places in Asia. Non-vegan options (one or two) are clearly marked. Love to have it that way for a change!

Pros: almost completely vegan, vegan cocktails!, nice staff

Cons: some items contain whey

great food, great prices - Edit

Curry samosas are small but delicious. Pineapple fried rice is great. Staff is very friendly.

Pros: all vegan (only 2 dishes vegetarian due to whey), affordable, friendly

Good Food - Edit

First time I came here. Service is good. Had the hot and sour soup which has the perfect kick of spice at the end.

Had the veggie dumplings. They were okay nothing to really rave about.

For main course has the basil soy with veggies. It was cooked just right. It was a little too saucy for me but they give rice with it so for those who like to combine rice and the veggies it's perfect.

Will def come back next time I am in town

Pros: a lot of options

Never disappoints. - Edit

Every time I order I try to get something different which is something I wouldn't have done at a Chinese restaurant in my meat eating days. Everything has been great every time. My favorites so far have been the orange seitan and the basil soy protein. Love that mint lemonade!

Pros: Tasty, Good price lunch specials

Cons: One item has whey protein.

YUM! - Edit

I really enjoy going out for dinner at Veggie Fun! I preferred the former menu that referred to items as "chicken" or "seafood" over the new menu that calls the items "soy protein" etc. It just seemed to give a better idea of what to expect. Some dishes are spicier than one would expect, so be careful if you don't like the hot stuff. Nevertheless the food is terrific, the staff is great, and the owner is lovely.

Pros: yummy, reasonably priced, pleasant atmosphere

VeggieFun - Providence, RI - Edit

We were thrilled to find a vegan (mostly) place so near downtown. Good service - prompt and friendly. The atmosphere was really nice - laid back. We loved our entrees (General Sao's veggie protein and Lettuce Wraps) and our appetizer (veggie dumplings). The Miso soup was tasty too. Our only complaint was the Sweet and Sour soup (quite frankly we both found it inedible - all sweet, no sour). Even with that little blip, we are definitely going back again.

Pros: Friendly and fast, Nice variety of vegan food, Accessible

Well above average in all respects - Edit

I'm not sure why this is under the "vegetarian" category rather than "vegan" (based upon the restaurant's sign). In any case, I had the hot and sour soup, the spring rolls, and the Black Pepper Seitan. Everything was presented well and (more importantly) really flavorful and well balanced. The wait staff was friendly with just the right level of attentiveness. The portions were generous.

Love it - Edit

I love Veggie Fun!! Before going vegan, chinese food was one of my favorites. Veggie Fun tastes like the real deal! I recommend the malaysian curry stew or the general tso's. Also, the scallion pancake and dumplings are a great appetizer!I took a group of non vegan friends there and they didn't seem to tell the difference. The staff is very friendly and the food comes out quickly. There fried soy ice cream is delicious!

bad for people with allergies - Edit

Food is good, but if you have an allergy, DO NOT EAT HERE!!! I told my server multiple times that I am allergic to soy and she suggested an appetizer to me, which I ordered. I confirmed several times that it did not have soy in it. When she brought it to the table with a cup of soy sauce, I again asked her if there was any soy in it. She assured me there wasn't. When I bit in to the spring roll, I tasted something similar to chicken. I called the waitress over and told her what I tasted (soy protein) and she still claimed there was no soy until I asked her to check with the kitchen. Of course she came back and told me with a sheepish grin that there was soy in it and gave me what seemed to be an insincere apology. Without asking me, she ordered me a new one and had the nerve to try and charge me for it! Overall this was a very bad experience, ruined my Friday night by making me sick, and is an extremely dangerous practice for their customers.

Pros: food tastes good

Cons: bad service, put their customers at risk, very limited parking

A new favorite - Edit

Came here with my girl who is new to the vegan food scene. I've been vegetarian 6 years and vegan for 2. We both LOVED it. Everything we had was very good including the ICE CREAM! We got mint chocolate chip. So good! We have been talking about going back since! And now they deliver too! Definitely worth going to many times!

Pros: All vegan, Amazing food, Dessert

Too much sugar - Edit

Sorry, I have to disagree with the other reviews! We found it too sweet. Even the kimchee had too much sugar, we couldn't finish our meal. I was so disappointed -- I hoped this restaurant would be new favorite take out spot.

Pros: Friendly staff

nice! - Edit

This is a nice vegan place conveniently located very close to the bus station. There is one item on the menu containing a dairy element, but for Rhode island, its a much needed vegan option. The food is very tasty, the autumn roll is so delicious! The fried vegan ice cream is also a great treat that you might not be able to get anywhere else locally.

Pros: vegan, quality, tasty

Cons: very pricey, small portions

Hallelujah! Vegan option in downtown Providence - Edit

The warm comfortable Asian surroundings are equaled by the helpful friendly staff. The food is affordable, tasty and beautifully cooked. It's the kind of place you say "Why didn't we come here sooner?" Before we finished our meal we knew it was a new favorite stop for future excursions into the city.
The King-Oyster Mushroom app was crispy and delightful. The miso soup warm and plentiful. The Black Pepper Veggie Beef had a rich savory brown sauce with perfectly cooked veggies. My fiancée got the Smoked Teriyaki Soy Duck (not vegan - has whey) and she was amazed by the flavor and tender green beans. Don't leave without trying the Brown Rice Pudding for dessert! You won't be disappointed and you'll appreciate the quality, affordable vegan options.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: not all vegan, parking

Bravo Veggie Fun!! - Edit

Finally a pure vegan restaurant in Providence. I found this on Happy Cow. We went last Saturday night. Had a delicious vegan meal. Delicious creative salads. Appetizer of seitan bites - outstanding. And 2 entrees that were truly delicious. We can't wait to go back and bring friends! The service and setting were outstanding. Easy to find and easy to park. Plus, cocktails and full dinner for $60!!

Pros: Ambience, Service, Quality

Tasty, convenient veg food in downtown Providence - Edit

We ended up eating here twice during our 2-week stay in Rhode Island following Hurricane Sandy. The food was very tasty and the staff were friendly and accomodating to a large family. My 8-year old twins thought the food here was better than Veggie Heaven, our go-to vegan Chinese restaurant in NJ. The miso soup was wonderful.

Pros: Convenient location, Steamed pumpkin given with most dishes, Friendly staff

Cons: Some food a bit greasy, Television in restaurant

Enjoyable - Edit

Just found out this place and had lunch here today. I got black pepper veggie beef and my boy friend got smoke teriyaki duck, so delicious! Undesirable!

2 Responses

Return to Providence Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veggie Fun closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7761 times since Oct 2012.