Veggie Express

+852-28779411

Shop 3, G/F, Everwin Building, 406-408 Kings Road, North Point, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

聰嫂原素, at 明園西街 GF 406-408. Nearest MTR is North Point exit B1. Note: animal rennet may be used as an ingredient here. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-9:30pm.

Categories: Chinese

First Review by Stevie

Value for money - Edit

We visited this place on a late Saturday afternoon and it was pretty busy. It has a breakfast menu, lunch menu, afternoon tea specials and dishes available throughout the day. Lots of options. Easily visible just off Kings Road.

We ordered:
- a veggie burger with fries for HKD 48 - i had forgotten to mention I don't eat cheese and it had cheese, so my boyfriend ate all of it. He said it was average. It came with the cheap crinkly fries.
- Stir fried chili peppers and mixed mushrooms for HKD 62 - the peppers were spicy, and cooked at high heat so a bit charred. we really liked this!
- Spicy tofu Sichuan style for HKD 55 - this was yummy! Massive portion, had to take half of it home!

We added on rice. Each of the above come with either a drink or soup. The soup was the traditional Chinese style soup with black eyed beans and peanuts. I really liked it (my boyfriend always finds those soups bland).

They are a lacto ovo restaurant, and do label items with egg, but would be great if they could do the same with dairy. Also would be good if they could improve their vegan knowledge. I ordered an iced coffee and had explained I am vegan. When it came, I asked them to reconfirm that the milk does not come from cows. They said it did not and brought me the carton so I could check, but their creamer has casein which is a milk derivative. I explained I don't have milk products, so they took it away and brought me an iced tea instead.

Pros: Value for money, lots of options

Cons: labelling of which items have egg but not dairy

Veggie Express, Hong Kong - Edit

This place is managed by non-vegetarians. This shows in what they sell. The manager when I asked told me that the cheese they use is non-vegetarian (ie made with rennet as the setting agent). It makes me wonder what others they have (e.g. is the margarine they list on the menu made with animal whey, has the marking of dishes on the menu with egg been done so rigorously to include egg being used by the mock manufacturer). I'd rate this place as one (or even zero) for that reason if this website would let me.

Food is unremarkable and there's better elsewhere in HK for those looking for such.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-22

Cons: Non-vegetarian produce knowingly sold to customers

best to come alone or two - Edit

Given the price per dish, it's a bit small if you have a group of 4 . Sweet & sour pork taste good, no MSG soup, alright stir fry noodles, only a few pieces of broccoli/cauliflower in the curry. It's alright, there're better places than this.

Pros: they'll list out if they added egg in dishes , no 10% service charge

Cons: long queue , not too comfortable seats

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veggie Express closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.