Veggie Express

Shop 3, G/F, Everwin Building, 406-408 Kings Rd, North Point, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

Vegetarian food restaurant est. 2016. Nearest MTR is North Point exit B1. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese

First Review by Stevie

KryaShakti

Points +62

20 Jul 2020

Not great!

I was very hungry....I had lien head mushrooms with broccoli....quite expensive and the portions was tiny as well the staff are not very kind I must say!

Pros: Load of choice

Cons: Expensive , Small portions , Staff are rude

maltman23

Points +2276

12 Dec 2019

Fast, reasonably priced, good vegan options

I had a lot of food for a reasonable price here. Fast food setting.

Pros: good vegan food, reasonably priced

Cons: fast food setting

LozWong

Points +160

07 Jul 2019

Tasty atypical Chinese veggie joint

I’ve brought many friends here as a spot with lots of options (everything is vegetarian or vegan, egg dishes clearly marked). Most dishes come as a set with a drink or soup included.

Favourite dishes are the mixed mushroom rice noodles 干炒雜菌河, salt and pepper fried tofu, and any lion mane or hedgehog mushroom dishes.

Cash only.

Pros: Mushroom dishes are particularly good, Most dishes include a drink or soup, The taller serving lady is super friendly!

Cons: Very busy during peak times, Tight table and seating arrangement, Some dishes are a bit oily

DeniseC

Points +386

27 Dec 2018

Great food, poor service

I keep coming back to Veggie Express for their food (their monkey head mushroom w beancurd and broccoli dish!!!) and will continue to, however their service is pretty bad. Staff are pretty clueless about their menus, about which dishes contain dairy, and overall just seem like they do not want to be there. Other than this, everything else is great.

EDJ28

Points +350

Vegetarian
28 Nov 2018

Pretty good

Nice place, quite packed. Food is pretty standard, but nice to have heaps of options.

H2OAddict

Points +623

06 Jul 2018

Tasty and Filling

My fiancé and I stayed up the street from this restaurant while visiting Hong Kong from mainland China. The menu has English descriptions as well as Hanzi, as most of Hong Kong restaurants seem to have. The tables and chairs are tight here, and if you come as a single during their very busy lunch time, they may seat you with another single guest at a table. It didn’t seem that these people spoke to each other, they were just seated together. This was new for both my fiancé and myself, but both found it pretty cool! We always order dishes and split, so I chose the steamed “chicken,” which are chicken mushrooms (I have friends that forage for these in the US and I really wanted to try them) and my fiancé got salt and pepper fried tofu. I try to stay away from fried food and added oil, but these weren’t dripping the way Chinese noodles would be and had a nice crunchy coating, so we both indulged! Both items were excellent and we finished both plates! The only issue I had was that the staff wasn’t very friendly, but as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Western China, I am used to living in a community that is a bit fascinated by me as a foreigner, so I’m not sure if that tainted me and made me biased or not. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a large cosmopolitan city!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Clean, Decent prices

Cons: Crowded, Service was marginal

Ashni

Points +1007

07 Oct 2017

Value for money

We visited this place on a late Saturday afternoon and it was pretty busy. It has a breakfast menu, lunch menu, afternoon tea specials and dishes available throughout the day. Lots of options. Easily visible just off Kings Road.

We ordered:
- a veggie burger with fries for HKD 48 - i had forgotten to mention I don't eat cheese and it had cheese, so my boyfriend ate all of it. He said it was average. It came with the cheap crinkly fries.
- Stir fried chili peppers and mixed mushrooms for HKD 62 - the peppers were spicy, and cooked at high heat so a bit charred. we really liked this!
- Spicy tofu Sichuan style for HKD 55 - this was yummy! Massive portion, had to take half of it home!

We added on rice. Each of the above come with either a drink or soup. The soup was the traditional Chinese style soup with black eyed beans and peanuts. I really liked it (my boyfriend always finds those soups bland).

They are a lacto ovo restaurant, and do label items with egg, but would be great if they could do the same with dairy. Also would be good if they could improve their vegan knowledge. I ordered an iced coffee and had explained I am vegan. When it came, I asked them to reconfirm that the milk does not come from cows. They said it did not and brought me the carton so I could check, but their creamer has casein which is a milk derivative. I explained I don't have milk products, so they took it away and brought me an iced tea instead.

Pros: Value for money, lots of options

Cons: labelling of which items have egg but not dairy

Stevie

Points +11760

29 May 2017

Veggie Express, Hong Kong

This place is managed by non-vegetarians. This shows in what they sell. The manager when I asked told me that the cheese they use is non-vegetarian (ie made with rennet as the setting agent). It makes me wonder what others they have (e.g. is the margarine they list on the menu made with animal whey, has the marking of dishes on the menu with egg been done so rigorously to include egg being used by the mock manufacturer). I'd rate this place as one (or even zero) for that reason if this website would let me.

Food is unremarkable and there's better elsewhere in HK for those looking for such.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-22

Cons: Non-vegetarian produce knowingly sold to customers

Happychillieat

Points +74

23 Jan 2017

best to come alone or two

Given the price per dish, it's a bit small if you have a group of 4 . Sweet & sour pork taste good, no MSG soup, alright stir fry noodles, only a few pieces of broccoli/cauliflower in the curry. It's alright, there're better places than this.

Pros: they'll list out if they added egg in dishes , no 10% service charge

Cons: long queue , not too comfortable seats

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veggie Express closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.