CLOSED: Veggie Dot

021-62565805

1196 Beijing West Rd (at west of Shaanxi N Rd), Shanghai, China, 121.452372

Fusion vegetarian restaurant serving soups, salads, wraps, curries, pasta. Western dishes, no mock meat. Lunch specials available on weekdays. Only a few vegan dishes available. Limited English spoken. Previously at Xiangyang S Rd. Reported closed, Feb 2017.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Western

First Review by Tianci

Where is it? - Edit

I went looking for this place, and while 278 Xiangyang Rd S is easy enough to find, how does one get into the complex? It appears to be a residential area. I walked around looking for the 'back gate' as mentioned in the info above, but also to no avail. If anyone can give specifics, that would be great!

Update... I went to the West Beijing Road location a couple of times in April 2015, and then didn't have a chance to go back until this month, July 2015. Previously they had a larger menu with pictures. Now the menu is smaller, and there are no photos. The service was also not as good as before.

A Nice, Quiet, Place to Eat! - Edit

We are sorry that Veggie Dot was difficult to find. Because of this, we went looking to make sure the listing was updated (and have submitted an update as of this date); and also to try out their food.

Veggie Dot was a wonderfully nice change from typically noisy restaurants! The atmosphere was quiet, the music pleasant and the food good! Sadly, they do not have too many vegan dishes. However, they do not use much oil which is a blessing.

The menu is in both Chinese and English, so that should not be a problem; but you will need to know Chinese if you want to find out what is in each dish. The manager knows some English, but was not there when we visited. As we speak some Chinese, this was not a problem, but might be for others.

As we live here, we felt the price was a bit high: moderate to expensive. We shared an appetizer, soup, salad, and main dish = 184 RMB. As we are used to paying much less for vegan meals, this was a bit high; but probably not a problem for most ex-pats.

The address is correct (1196 West Beijing Rd) and is a short walk from the West Nanjing Rd station on Line #2.

We recommend Veggie Dot and hope others will give them a try! Please contact me if you have any questions or problems finding them.

Pros: Nice and Quiet, Little oil used

Cons: Can be a bit expensive, Few vegan dishes, Knowledge of Chinese might be helpful

SP 19 Jul 2015 - Hi, thanks for looking into this. I was already aware of the 1196 West Beijing Road location (yes, very easy to find), and I had already eaten there too, but was wondering about the location previously listed here, 278 Xiangyang Rd S, which now I guess is no longer?

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Veggie Dot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.