CLOSED: Veggie Cottage

Contact 67856771

13 Dalhousie Ln (at Little India), Central Singapore, Singapore, 209682

This vegan cafe serves local Singaporean food as well several western style dishes. Offers salads, rice meals, cupcakes, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and more. Established since spring 2013. Closed on last Sunday of each month. REPORTED CLOSED, OCT 2016. Tue-Fri 10:00am-8:30pm, Sat 9:30am-8:00pm, Sun 9:30am-4:00pm

Category: Vegan, Western, Singaporean

First Review by meivegan

A Welcome Respite - Edit

We visited Veggie Cottage on 14/9/16, getting inside just as the rain bucketed down outside and it was refreshingly cool inside. My two fussy vegan children were thrilled to find some western food on offer and enjoyed chips, hotdogs and mini samosas. I had a tofu clay Hotpot with wild rice. It was lovely to be in an all vegan establishment after struggling to get anyone in nearby vegetarian restaurants to understand what vegan is. Whilst we didn't have dessert, waffles with home made ice cream were on offer. Service was friendly and the food arrived quickly.

Pros: Clean and friendly, Good service

are you ever open - Edit

visited twice during my stay in Singapore. both times closed.
checked the opening times in the window and should have been open. first time was closing early (an hour early) second time not open.

Cons: is it ever open?

Best vegan in SG - Edit

Hands down the best vegan restaurant in SG. Home cooked, good quality ingredients bursting with flavours; We like the rice dishes - green curry, assam fish etc. Their banana and strawberry soy milk shakes are nice, soy milky and the perfect sweet end to our meal. Lovely owner and staff. I wish they're located next door. Definitely a must visit for vegans and non vegans :)

Cosy cafe, food could be better - Edit

We visited here towards the end of our recent holiday and found the Veggie Cottage to be a very cosy cafe with friendly staff and a nice inviting decor. The emphasis on health is evident and very educational. Located near Rochor mrt in the busy Little India district, they offer a varied menu of western dishes ($8.80-9.80) and local dishes with daily specials ranging between $5.50-7. They also offer a selection of side dishes such as crispy tofu and dumplings and a small dessert menu. We ordered the nonya curry and dry noodles with a side of crispy tofu and dumplings with a hibiscus juice drink and two red bean milkshakes. The nonya curry was presented beautifully, delicious and and on a par with the one I had at whole earth restaurant near Tanjong Pagar mrt (definitely worth checking out by the way) but the portion size was a little small and left me wanting more. My wife got the dry noodles with dumplings, which were lacking in flavour unfortunately. The crispy tofu wasn't crispy either but the side of wantons were excellent. No desserts were available when we went, which was a shame. In total we spent approximately $35. Veggie Cottage is well worth a visit if you have time during your stay but there are much better vegan restaurants in Singapore to experience.

Pros: Tasty food, Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Small menu, Service a little slow, Small portions

Best of Best, speed has improved - Edit

If you see a guy, taking tingkat containers in and out of the restaurant. that's me. That's how bad a vegan, needs good vegan food supply in Singapore.

Everything they cook is guaranteed home made by a health conscious chef. Portions are small but are value for money. Just order more dishes then!

Their ongoing problem was their speed, due to lack of automation and staff. Today, their staff problem is gone and they have improved the cashier's technology. Ordering will be faster.

Give them a chance, even if they may be slow, sometimes. They are providing very good vegan food at very good prices. For me, they are the best in Singapore.

Pros: healthy, delicious, value for money

Cons: may be slow in service

Phenomenal food - Edit

Walked in here with a friend (after discovering on Happy Cow), only to discover that they were soon to close for the day and had limited menu options left for the night..
..I ordered the veg-fish and rice, my friend ordered the sweet and sour veg-chicken nuggets.
My fish meal was a culinary delight (so many amazing layers to the soup), my friend expressed how well balanced and delicious the chicken meal was.
All up, fabulously satisfied, easily my favourite restaurant in several days spent in Singapore.

Pros: Delicious food, Cosy atmosphere, Fabulous service (and affordable price)

Cons: Opening hours (no Monday lunchtime trading)

Wonderful!! - Edit

I've been travelling to Singapore for 15 years, and could never partake of many of Singapore's famous dishes since they're for the most part, not vegetarian, and certainly not vegan. FINALLY I was able to eat laksa at Veggie Cottage! The two women running it are wonderful, service was absolutely fast (but I was there for a very late lunch) and I found the portions quite large. I would have been back many times during my two week trip, but unfortunately I did not make it to the Little India neighborhood until the end of my trip. I wish them much success and will look forward to returning again. I had really wanted to try the homemade soy yogurt that there wasn't any that day.

Pros: nice atmosphere, friendly service, varied menu

Cons: none

Best Meal in Singapore - Edit

We had the Assam Pedas and the Wanton Noodles, the former being the best tasting dish I've had on this trip (two months in SE Asia) and the latter easily landing in the top ten. I disagree with the previous reviewer that the menu is "all fried and all cooked," as a woman at the next table was eating a fresh salad right in front of us. Also, only one of our four dishes (we also ordered Samosas and Claypot Tofu) was fried, which we knew, of course. All in all, if I had more time in Singapore, I would eat here again and again.

Disappointing menu - Edit

Having read the reviews on here, I had fairly high expectations. However, the menu is pretty poor and not very healthy.

I had hoped for nice, fresh and natural food but it's all cooked and fried.

As other people have said, it's very small with 1 person looking after all the tables, so make sure you have plenty of time.

Delicious place in Little India - Edit

Found this lovely restaurant due to HappyCow and was not disappointed. Friendly owner cooks self-created meals for good prices. And it's all vegan !
Provide fast food classics like Fish&Chips, Burgers and Chicken-Nuggets, so there is definitely something for everyone.

Pros: Price, Atmosphere

Cons: Look from the outside

Absolutely amazing - Edit

I've visited Veggie Cottage thrice this month and it has never disappointed. The staff there are very welcoming and friendly, the food is prepared efficiently and tastes amazing!
The sambal fish is absolutely to die for! Incredibly tasty and just the right amount of spiciness. I always order their spring rolls as well because it's simply delicious. Their dishes are not expensive at all and their portions are generous!
Hands down my favourite vegan cafe so far!

Pros: Great tasting food, Efficient service, Lovely ambience

Cozy restaurant - Edit

Went there for a late lunch. Seems to be fully booked on weekends so make sure you reserve a place!

Service was very friendly but also very slow. You could never be sure if your orders were forgotten or slow. Everything arrived in the end, but some things like drinks just take too long. One table over even canceled their drinks after they didn't arrive 10 minutes after they were done with their snack. This need improvement.

On the other hand: They have comfy sofa chairs, so take some time and relax :)

Food was little, but good.

Pros: Comfy sofa chairs, Very friendly service, Yummy ice team

Cons: Slow service

Good, small, veg restaurant - Edit

I came across this Little India restaurant by accident (Feb 2014), walking back to my hotel in the evening. Suddenly feeling hungry I went inside, and was not disappointed. Maybe 20 items on the menu (chalkboard), served by a soft spoken, nice lady. Food was tasty, smallish portions, could have been a little spicer for my taste. Recommended.

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive, Friendly environment

Cons: Larger portions, spicer

Nice and cosy restaurant - Edit

Last night we had dinner at this nice restaurant. The food was really tasteful and the menu contained many choices, asian and western. It's good value for money. The staff is very friendly. We will come back.

Cute Little Cortage - Edit

This is an adorable little place near Little India that clearly has had a lot of love and dedication put in. A comfortable atmosphere with plenty of options on offer taking both from Western favourites and the cuisine of the local culture. Tofu, and mock meats are served and for the majority of dishes dairy is not used.
The food prepared is very tasty and will leave you wanting more.

Pros: Pleasant ambience , Wide choice on the menu, A team that care about their food and appearance

Cons: Portions can be small for greedy boys like me

Quality inexpensive vegan dining at Veggie Cottage - Edit

I certainly enjoyed the relaxing ambience of this cozy European-style cafe. Prices are very reasonable for the quality you get. Tried the fish and chips (the "fish" is made in-house and very crispy and light) and Nasi Lemak - both are excellent! To satisfy my coffee craving, I had a frothy cup of freshly brewed cappuccino (non-dairy)to go with. The warm and friendly staff made it a perfect dining experience. Veggie Cottage is easily accessible by public transport (just 5 mins walk from Tekka Market, behind "The Verge" shopping mall.

Heartfelt cooking - Edit

When I go to a cafe/restaurant, one of the first things I will notice is the smiles and friendly nature of the staff. The folks at Veggie Cottage sincerely nice to their customers :-D

Apart from a chef that puts all her heart into cooking, I am rather pleased with the service. Among my favourites are the burger, spaghetti (both Bolognese and Aglio Olio), mushroom and pumpkin soups, and of course, the chocolate and pandan cupcakes (only $1 each). The next best thing on the menu is the Mongolian Dumpling Soup, prepared by non other than a new chef from Mongolia :-)

I heard that one of the customers reserved a table for a birthday celebration and the chef prepared a cake for free. How many places will do just that ?

Waiting time for food can be cut short by calling to order before arrival.

Pros: Dishes prepared with love

Homecooked meals at Veggie Cottage (Singapore) - Edit

upon reading reviews of Veggie Cottage by Luke of hungry ang mo blog at www.hungryangmo.com
my family visited this little cafe on 1st May, wednesday.

we started our meals with the homemade concoction of Prune Lime juice while enjoying the relaxing ambience of the café.

while waiting for our main meal to be served, we had the vegan chips with avocado dip, could have some lemon juice, salt n pepper added to the avocado dip.

the deep fried mini samosa which are not hand make by the chef but was deep fried to perfection and placed beautifully in a small basket.

we enjoyed the vegan hamburger set and were delighted to savour the vegan fish & chips with handmake patties created by the chef.

The nasi lemak rice is abit plain for us as we are used to the conventional type of nasi lemak with lots of coconut milk in them but we loved the homemake spicy chillis paste that goes well with the white rice.

The vegan claypot tofu was great and the veggies well cooked but crunchy, much to our liking. This dish was served in a small and delicate oval shaped claypot that enchanced the presentation of this simple yet tasty dish.

I fell in love with the 2 paintings of Veggie Cottage painted by the chef herself.....no wonder every effort is put in to ensure that every detail of each dish is taken care of; like an Artist does with her paintings.

Thank you, Veggie Cottage, cook & staff for all your Love n effort in creating this peaceful café, a memorable place where we can look forward to relax and dine in again.

Updated from previous review on Thursday May 02, 2013

Pros: excellent food & peaceful ambience, good value & pricing, artistic cook & friendly staff

Lovely cupcakes - Edit

I luuuuvvv their cupcakes, especially the ones made from pandan. They are all freshly baked in the day, and disappear fast every night ! So be quick to grab some when you see them displayed at the counter. Also, the cupcakes can be enjoyed with their very nice (soy) coffee
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 24, 2013

Pros: Nice place, relaxing, cozy, inexpensive

Cons: A little slow...

Best Vegan Food in Town - Edit

I'm in love with this cafe! The food is great and healthy. By far, this is the best vegetarian food I ever tasted.

My favourite dishes are their Nasi Lemak and Sambal fish rice. The Nasi Lemak is even better than the non-vegetarian Nasi Lemak. The coconut rice with a touch of lemongrass taste together with their chef's special chilli is so yummy. Must try!!

For the soup of the day, I tried the mushroom soup. It's beautiful. I was told that the chef made the soup from scratch. Wow, it's definitely a healthy soup for everyone to have.

In fact, almost all the food they serve are made from scratch by the chef herself. She really puts in a lot of efforts in making sure the food taste good and yet healthy.

Heard their western food is also not bad. Maybe I will try some in my next visit.

Pros: Great and healthy food, Cozy ambience, Reasonable price

Veggie Cottage - Edit

A cozy vegan cafe just opened on 7 April 2013. tried its sambal (local chili pasted) vegan fish rice set on Sunday -- very soft long grain white rice with soft and juicy vegan fish protein! cooked just to the right texture! Nice environment. Highly recommended as a relaxing place too for afternoon coffee / tea with vegan cupcake!
friendly staff. inexpensive pricing.
call to find out the dishes served which vary daily.

Pros: good food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: waiting time to be improved.

Return to Central Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Veggie Cottage closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6536 times since Apr 2013.