First Review by rheb

Best of CM - Edit

Ate there many times during my three month stay in CM. Most dishes are in fact vegan and absolutely delicious. There is also a great variety of tastes, from the traditional Thai curries to the tangy vegetable dishes. Staff are exceptionally friendly with the two owners speaking perfect English

Decent food for a dollar - Edit

2 toppings on a rice is 35 baht (1$). Be sure to take a couple of those to eat enough. Taste is good but not heaven.

Khao soi is good but did not feel any special about it. Thou I'm not experienced taster in khao soi to be fair.

Just 2 toppings out of 8 are vegetarian others are vegan.

Definitely worth at least a single visit.

Simple but good - Edit

I asked about non spicy dishes but due to language barriers (suggestion: learn a few words of thai!) I was recommended one that turned out to be super spicy. The man who worked there was very kind to let me change to another dish with no extra cost. The place is quite basic but good if you want a simple, cheap meal.

Pros: Staff, Price

Cons: Small selection

Try the khao soi! - Edit

I ate here every day on my most recent trip to Chiang Mai. It's not fancy, but it's good, flavorful vegetarian food for super cheap. You can get two items from the lunch buffet with rice for only 35 baht, and they have incredible khao soi for 35 baht as well. I've had veggie khao soi from a couple of other places, but I think this place has the best one, and it's by far the cheapest.

Yes, the portions are a bit small, but it's so cheap that you can just order two portions if you'd like. And the older lady who works here speaks great English, so no worries about any language barrier.

Also, it's pretty close to Muang Mai market, which is a great place to stock up on delicious tropical fruits! Definitely the cheapest market around.

Good vegan food - Edit

Selection with few dishes (about 6) served on rice. They have every day different food, sometimes also papaya salad. The portions are very small but is only 35 THB. The pumpkin curry and the morning glory are very tasty. Go before 12 or there will be only few things left. They also have noodle soup (I haven't tried it yet) and egg-based dishes. Take away salads, seaweed and soy snacks available. NO MSG!

Pros: Cheap, Tasty

Cons: small portions

Standard Thai veg options with a few nice bonuses. - Edit

I've stopped here several times on my way to go shopping at the big market just north of the US consulate. The food is always pretty good. Nothing mind-blowing, but there's always a nice variety of dishes, from greens to pumpkin to curries to fake meats, all served with black/purple rice. A plate of rice and 3 vegetables will cost you 35B; an extra deep fried bamboo and mushroom cake will set you back another ten but is well worth it!

The market across the street is also well worth recommending! Coconuts for 10B each, roast sweet potatoes, fresh avocados, cashews...all sorts of great veg treats for prices far cheaper than you'd pay inside the city walls.

Pros: Dependably good food, quick service, Nice, shady outdoor dining

Cons: Ordinary (but in a good way!)

Wonderful Vegan Fare - Edit

Eight of us came here together numerous times. We did have a local friend who ordered many dishes for us to try and they were all excellent. I am not a fan of imitation meat because it reminds me of meat, but I like mushrooms and tofu and they certaiunly have many flavors. So inexpensive, under $10 US dollars for at least a dozen dishes that we ordered served family stlye. A great variety of flavors, an all vegan restraunt, friendly staff. I highly recommend the Thai Orchid. Leave a tip!!!

Pros: Many Dishes to Choose, All Vegan, Very Inexpensive

Cons: Only open for lunch

Good place - Edit

It's a good cafe with stable selection of dishes and pre-packed take aways. I really like the flavour of food there even though virually every dish is stuffed with fake meats (Yota is sponsoring).

Pros: Good selection, Owner speaks English

Cons: 30 baht for everything, Very popular so might be busy

Basic simple food - Edit

Standard glass case with multiple veg. options and some app. to choose from for lunch. They did seem to have some more traditional Thai items that Ive not seen in other lunch places. I had the noodle soup which was good and some stuff wontons which were excellent.

The outdoor seating is pleasant and the staff was very nice.

Also, they are just a couple doors down from a very good health food store which has alot of hard to find items like tahini, stevia, etc.

Can be a little hard to find. Best to find the Presidents Hotel on a map. Its on the opposite side of the street about a 5 minute walk heading away from chang mai center.

Pros: good simple food, inexpensive, pleasant seating

Cons: limited hours

Food only OK, not a lot of selection - Edit

I've been here once, at lunchtime, and was underwhelmed by the small selection of green vegetables and tofu dishes. The food was OK, not great, and I wasn't inspired to come back. The seating area is garden-ish and nice, but this seems like a place where you're better off ordering the noodle soup!

Pros: Inexpensive

Cons: small selection, food only OK

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetarian Thai Orchid closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2395 times since Aug 2007.