Vegetarian Lifestyle - Zaozi Shu - JiangNing

021-6215-7566

258 Fengxian Road (at Nanhui corner, off Nanjing Rd West), Shanghai, China

Name in Chinese means jujube tree (zaozi shu). Large, modern vegetarian restaurant with focus on fresh and healthy Chinese cuisine. Food is mostly vegan. Also has a small health food shop in the foyer. Menu has English description and pictures. Buses 112, 37, 24, 20, 23, 330, 21, 15, 19, JiangNing location. Shanghai subway, Line 2, left out of exit 1. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Organic

First Review by toxi

it depends on your order ;) - Edit

Easy to find if you go out Exit 1 and turn left, then walk on the other side of the road and turn right on the first big road! Walk 3 min and the restaurant will be on your left. So basically I love the place as it's vegan and close to subway. I just made a wrong choice and went for the braised chicken szichuan style as it was covered and cooking in oil. I had a few mouth full as I was super hungry but told them that I can't eat it. I remember last time I was here some of the food was so greasy and I didn't think about so much oil in that dish...so be careful with your choice.
Buckwheat sprout Temaki was over the top delicious!!! I can highly recommend it as it's healthy and delicious without any oil!
The baked potato mash was good but better to share and eat it with steamed veggies.
Staff is friendly but doesn't speak well English but also that's part of the Chinese experience I guess ;-) Happy to come back and choose wisely ;-)

Pros: much choice , nice environment and area

Cons: some of the food is very greasy, too much fried food, some dishes are very expensive

Very nice! - Edit

Really lovely; delicious fake meats and nicely flavoured vegetable dishes. It's relatively heavy, as vegetarian fare goes, and some of the dishes are quite big - 2-3 dishes per person, depending on how hungry you are, is about right. Vegan options not labelled.

Delicious! - Edit

Stumbled across this place on our way to a different vegan restaurant and decided to give it a go. Food is delicious, especially the vegetarian steak. Hands down the best food I've had in China so far. Fresh and tasty! A lot of mock meat, which I love. Would definitely recommend it!

Pros: Delicious food!, Good service

Cons: No alcohol served

Great place - Edit

Really nice place! It is smart so great for dinners with family/ friends or just to pop in for lunch. The menu was amazing - it really was hard to decide what to order!

The curry was delicious, as were the dumplings and fried/tempura mushrooms :D

Pros: Smart , Clean, Great menu (lots of variety)

Cons: Bit expensive

Nice veggie life in Shanghai - Edit

The upstairs dining area is a bit more formal and upscale but the downstairs us nice as well with great service. I had 3 dishes - 2 were really excellent: the asparagus wrapped in veggie bacon served on a sizzling platter and the veggie mock meat dish served with small buns which were described in the menu as corn but seemed more like wheat and were delicious! The mushroom tofu rolls were good but paled next to the other stellar dishes. These 3 dishes made 3 meals for myself as I could only finish a small portion and had enough for lunch and dinner the next day. This and fresh squeezed OJ was well under $30 so I would not consider it expensive. Like most of the Buddhist veggie restaurants in China they do not serve beer or wine but have a nice selection of juices and non alcoholic beer and wines.

Good atmosphere , Good food - Edit

For vegetarians , the food is good , service is quick, no English speaking staff but manageable to communicate with the menu.
Slightly pricey but worth it !!

One of the best i tried in Shanghai - Edit

Zaozi Shu (Vegetarian Lifestyle) serves very well-prepared food in an elegant atmosphere, with warm and good-natured service. The whole experience is a good notch or two above the typical Chinese eatery in every respect.

The menu is diverse, and particularly favors faux meats, though there are plenty of other options, too.

Enjoy!

Foreigner friendly, no MSG, extensive menu, chinese favorites - Edit

Great place for mock meats and tasty dishes. Menu in pictures and english included so easy for foreigners. Try the sweet char siu pastry dim sum, black bean fry steak pieces, and fried rice. Reliable service and quality. Careful not too order too many strong flavours though, best to balance with fresh too or your tongue can feel a little funny afterwards, even though it promises no MSG.

Good Service And Food - Edit

he sevice was really good and the fake meats had me doubting if it really was fake. Even my meat eating boyfriend was very impressed. The price of food for 2 with drinks was as I recall about 250 yuan as it is in the expensive end but really really worth it.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service, The Food

Cons: Price

Definitely Coming Back! - Edit

We tried six different dishes, 2 cold (the sweet and sour ribs were great!), 2 hot and two soups. All well presented. The flavours were good but I would have preferred a bit more spice. The staff were all happy and friendly too!!

Pros: friendly helpful staff, clean restaurant, English

Review - Edit

I haven't been to many nice, proper restaurants here in Shanghai yet, so it was nice to visit a place that is more clean and has a more "professional" service compared to other places + friendlier staff even though they don't really speak English.
There were so many things on the menu that I wanted to try - but we were only two people, so we just ordered 4 dishes. It was very nice and spicy. They have a lot of mock meat on the menu, and we also ordered some - only one of them that contained something that was to meaty for me. It was supposed to be pork, which had some kind of fat on the side (to make it more authentic, I guess), but I definitely don't miss animal fat.
We did also end up with two dishes that are pretty similar to each other, but with different flavors - so the pictures on the menu is not totally accurate.
We brought our own water, because they don't serve that (they serve tea, juice etc.)
I will definitely go back here so that I can taste their other dishes!
I gave this place 4 stars, but only comparing it to Shanghai restaurants, I would actually give it 5

Pros: nice restaurant - but maybe not the best atmospher, no MSG (says on the menu card), vegan, tasty

Cons: the drinking options

Nice Food, Slow Service - Edit

We really had a nice evening with tasty, fresh,chinese food.
Athmosphere was ok, light could be more dimmed, everything seems a bit cold.
Service staff understands a little English, is a bit slow.

Pros: Vegan Food , Location, Little English

Cons: light

All you need - Edit

we ate here twice while in shanghai, and once at the other location. service is fast and the menu is substantial and varied. all presented quite nicely, and priced quite inexpensively.

there is a small vegan-vegetarian shop in the front door of both locations, selling for the most part items you would not really need to buy, like katchup and noodles and etc. i mean to say, its not a grocery store but acts like one, and its not hugely convenient to buy these items if you are only going there for lunch.

i had the set menu one time, and it was perfect for lunch. it had five or six items, and the only turn off was the jelly thing for desert. i know the chinese like jelly foods, but as a westerner it didnt really hit the spot for me.

teas were great, and juices are available. watch out for the "malt beverage." its really just a non-alcoholic beer from germany, not really the refreshment i was after.

all in all a great find in shanghai. crowded and popular, but fast service in a modern cool setting.

Pros: very tasty items, fast service, quick turn over for lunch

Cons: a distracting "store" as you walk in, probably no parking.

Great - Edit

Loved this place! Busy, bustling, slightly upscale but not super fancy, competent friendly staff, English menu, extensive menu, beautiful presentation, attentive service, clean. Not super cheap but I think good value. One of my favorite veg places I've visited in Shanghai out of the 6~10 I've tried so far.

Pros: Extensive tasty menu, Clean, good vibe, Friendly attentive staff

Best Jujube Tree in Shanghai - Edit

The restaurant is a 5 minute walk away from the West Nanjing Road metro station. It's spacious and has big windows, with a small supermarket attached with organic items, mock meats etc. Upstairs rooms are available for larger groups.

They have a better menu than other locations in Shanghai and the cooking skills of the chefs seem also better.

The staff is friendly and makes a good effort to communicate with you in english if you can't speak chinese.

Pros: Vegan restaurant, Convinient location, Good cooking

Cons: Some dishes aren't cheap

Awesome! - Edit

Just an amazing restaurant! Fresh interior, friendly staff and such a big menu! You have to try almost everything! The food is really descriptive rehashed and it tastes amazing. Finally a eatery with many different vegan tastings and ingredients, not always the same!

Pros: Huge menu

Great food, shame about the name - Edit

As we all know veganism is not a lifestyle chosen by tedious bourgeois decadents who think that they can consume their way out of global inequality and animal cruelty, but rather a radical political praxis, aimed at the emancipation of the oppressed and the forging of a new world based on universal principles of respect and equality. Thus the name is a little annoying, the food however is rather excellent, especially the mock meat, the very memory of which leaves me drooling. I highly recommend the Ningbo fish, Mapo tofu, ribs and the green dumplings, also the tea is surprisingly awesome.

Pros: Food

Cons: Name

great options - Edit

I really like this place. There's a massive selection of dishes to choose from and the food is tasty. The staff don't know much English but the menus are in English.

Pros: great options

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetarian Lifestyle - Zaozi Shu - JiangNing closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.