CLOSED: Vegetarian Lifestyle - GuBei

21-6275-1798

848 Huangjincheng Rd (at Buses: 57, 925, 936, 709, 911, 48, GuBei location), Shanghai, China

Modern style restaurant. Directions: Located near Shuicheng Nan Lu, and 77 Songshan Lu near Huaihai Lu. Chinese Name: 枣子树(古北分店) Chinese Address: 黄金城道848号. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Categories: Vegan, Chinese

First Review by wanderer

Back to its old self - Edit

Changing my review as this location has reverted to its original concept. Some of the cheesy Western fusion dishes are still available, but no longer make up the bulk of the menu. The menu is the same as the other locations, but with a few extra dishes, mostly Taiwanese-style. Definitely worth going to again!

Previous review: I am also disappointed by the change in this location. This wasn't the branch we regularly went to, but we used to pop in occasionally for lunch when we had to go to Carrefour or for dinner on our way back from work.

As the previous reviewer stated, the menu has drastically changed and is no longer like the other locations. They have cheese now and are trying to do western food like pizza and pasta. The set menu we got was not very nice, especially for the inflated price. Also, some things in my set menu came with melted cheese even though it wasn't described that way on the menu. My husband ate those.

The only plus I can think of is that the atmosphere has somewhat improved. It is more Japanese in design now, perhaps to appeal to the large Japanese customer base they used to have.

I suppose we still might pop in here on those big Carrefour shopping days, but I wouldn't recommend this place to vegans anymore. Perhaps lactos will enjoy the new cheesy dishes though.
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 19, 2009

Pros: friendly staff, nicer atmosphere, good food

Cons: some cheesey dishes, getting a bit expensive

oriental + western - Edit

Yes the atmosphere is oriental & food is mix with western. not vegan. but they have option of olive oil instead of cheese. love the fusion taste

Pros: Atmosphere, menu

Cons: not 100% vegan, price according to location

Sooo Disappointed!!! - Edit

Vegetarian Lifestyle used to be my favorite restaurant anywhere. My husband and I would go to this location or the Songshan location 1-3 times a month. I went there tonight and was truly devastated to discover they have been taken over by the owners of L'abre de Provence. The menu is totally different and has only a few of the less exciting dishes from Veg. Lifestyle left. It is geared more towards set menus now, boring! I usually eat here on Friday nights and would be stuck with the same set menu every time (if I do ever go back). We paid 136rmb for two set meals of bland food and small portions. We used to spend that much there and get a feast with plenty of leftovers to take home!

We expressed our feelings to the English-speaking waiter there, and he told us many other customers had also said the same thing. Also, one of the items on the set menu came out with melted cheese on it. We told him we didn't eat cheese, and he told us it was made from mushrooms, not from cow's milk and was imported from Germany. I asked to see the packaging, since I had never heard of such a thing and was skeptical. He tried to find it but couldn't and told me to ask next time. I probably won't go back to find out.

Pros: possibilty of vegan cheese pizza

Cons: small portions, bland, small selection

flamekat 22 Feb 2013 - I was also disappointed by the change. From what I could tell from the card describing the cheese, it's not vegan, simply vegetarian due to a mushroom-based rennet. My husband who eats cheese (and vegan cheese) tried it and confirms that it is dairy cheese, not vegan.

Luckily the Songshan Lu branch is still the same as always. :-)

Good Set Menu - Edit

I just came back from a very nice dinner at Vegetarian Life Style in 848 Huangjincheng Rd. where I ate a good and rich set menu. The fresh melone juice was also good and the bill for two set menus and two fresh juices was moderate - RMB/CNY 135.

Pros: Smoke free, Good food, Fresh juices

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Vegetarian Lifestyle - GuBei closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.