Vegetarian Kaiseki Cuisine

• Vegetarian
Contact 03-857-1886

88, Zhuangjing Road, Hualien, Taiwan,

Chinese name 養心樓素食懷石料理, address 花蓮縣花蓮市國富里莊敬路88號, 970. This place adapts the Japanese multi-course tradition to Taiwanese palettes and gives it a veg twist. Occasionally some items use dairy products but they will ask you when you book if you avoid dairy/egg and other allergens. Courses are served in different bowls and plates like works of art. Food is light, healthy, and filling. Cost is around NT$600 per person. No walk-ins.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese, Taiwanese

First Review by chazyvr

Memorable Meal in Hualien - Yang Xin Kaiseki - Edit

We enjoyed a really outstanding meal at Yang Xin Building Vegetarian Kaiseki in Hualien. The owner lovingly prepares and presents eight delicious courses Japanese Kaiseki style and for a very reasonable fixed price per head (we paid around $650 per person plus a percentage tip when we went). This not the cheapest food you will find in Taiwan, but this is half the price of a similar fine dining experience in capital Taipei we'd had a few weeks before and twice as good. Can't really add much to the previous reviews; they accurately said it all.

Be sure to phone a few days ahead to make a reservation; the owner managed to understand my terrible (and very basic) Mandarin to make the booking over the phone, but you may want to ask someone at your accommodation to make the reservation for you. It's well worth the effort though. The owner actually speaks a little English in person and her welcoming personality, her attention to detail and obvious pride in her amazing food speaks volumes.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 01, 2013

Pros: Excellent interesting flavours, Friendly staff, proud of their food, Simple, unpretentious vibe

Cons: Need to book in advance

Wanderfull food - Edit

We got the hotel to book for us and needed to go the day before to pay a deposit. No choice of food just a number of really good courses. Highly recommended and worth making the effort to go to for the whole experience.

Pros: Quality of food, Relaxing atmosphere, Personal service

Cons: booking required, needing to go in person to leave a deposit

Unique dining experience that borders on spiritual - Edit

In Taiwan, food is always made for the masses. Restaurants serve hundreds at a time. It's rare to get any personal attention when dining out. Vegetarian Kaiseki Cuisine is the exact opposite.

When I visited Hualien with my family, I wanted to find some decent vegetarian restaurant that's a few notches above street food. Hualien is a smaller town in Taiwan so I didn't expect much. But to my surprise, there's a high end vegan restaurant that's unlike anything I've been to anywhere else in Taiwan.

This place requires reservations and the owner serves you herself. When you book, she will ask if there's anything you don't eat. She then plans your meal. Some courses require hours of preparation. Because I only called the night before, there was one dish she didn't have time to make. But the courses she did make were all incredible.

Each dish is put together and presented with care. You can tell she has thought through all the details to create a course that has both Japanese and Chinese influences. I won't describe each dish because yours might be different but I've uploaded some pics to show you what our meal looked like.

We had about 9 dishes in total. In between, you are served tea or other beverages to help clear the palette.

The set course is NT$588 + 10% tip... around US$20. At first, I wondered why a vegetarian restaurant in Hualien would charge so much. But once you experience it, you realize it's actually quite a bargain. The owner donates the tip to charity and she even gives you the cash to put into a donation box in the restaurant.

Note: The owner doesn't speak English. You might want the hotel you're staying at to make the reservation for you (at least one day before). Try to go there with someone who speaks Mandarin if you can so that person can explain to you what you're eating.

Return to Hualien Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetarian Kaiseki Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1472 times since Jul 2012.