Vegetarian Food Studio

Contact 029-20238222

109 Penarth Rd, Cardiff, Wales, CF11 6JT

Vegetarian Indian restaurant and takeaway. Family-run and is frequented by local Indians. Offers a large menu predominately with Gujarati dishes in addition to ones from other India regions as well East Africa. BYO with corkage charge. Open Tue-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Merida

I adore this place - Edit

I would eat here everyday if I could!great vegan options. yummy choices and I love the interior. the staff are friendly and happy. the customers are always smiling too!we had the thali which is huge and great value. also gives you lots of different options when you want to pick everything on the menu!if you haven't been here you should go. it took me 8 years. and I regret not coming here sooner!

Pros: great price, vegan options, delicious food

Close to perfection!!! - Edit

Well I would said the next most stunning restaurant/cafe in Cardiff, Wales would be VFS.
I am always very skeptical when I know I am about to get Indian food in places other than my country as it has set a very tough standard for others... lol...
Guess what! I was surprise to find out the food is actually tastier than I thought.
From starter to dessert, all of them taste fantastic. These don't come easy.
And what worth to mentioned is the Lassi. Vegan one. What a treat!!!
All in all, to me, it's another must visit place in Cardiff for veg*.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice vibe

Cons: not 100% vegan :p

Wonderful! - Edit

Update Feb 2016 - they have created a new vegan sweets selection in the chill cabinet. They are all fantastic!

I always love coming to Cardiff as it means I can eat at VFS! I think they may have extended their menu since I last visited - this is vegan heavan! Loads of choice. Wonderful flavours. The only problem is trying to choose what to have! I also buy some of the savoury snacks to take away (eg samosas) - try the Atom Bomb, it's hot, but won't blow you up!
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 21, 2009

Pros: big vegan choice, great taste, good value

ok - Edit

We had a Vegan Mango Lassi which I found was too sweet and had sugar. I would have prefered it without sugar. They placed a plastic straw in my lassie which I was not happy about. Plastic is damaging to the environment. They should consider paper straws.

We ordered 2 Vegan Talis one with Batura and other with Chickpea dosa. I only liked the Batura, the chickpea dosa was quote dry, the curries had sugar in it so sweet. I don't like sugar in my food. How unhealthy.

Pros: Vegan options and labeled, Friendly staff

Cons: Sugar in everything, Use of plastic straws, Serve milk products

Worth the trek! - Edit

I say 'trek' - it's not really that bad, but if you aren't prepared to walk far out of the city centre then this may not be the place for you - but you totally should because Vegetarian Food Studio is fab!
Big vegan choice - most of the options on the menu are vegan. I remember last time I spent like 20 minutes trying to decide what I was going to order... so maybe even too much choice! Food's always tasty, including the vegan mango lassi. You can also take food away - they have a very alluring counter at the front of the restaurant with lots of snacks and treats so I was able to take some samosas and pakoras back home for me mam.
The staff are lovely too - one time I was apparently eating my thali wrong, so the waiter came up and showed me the traditional way (I think all he said was to add the dhal to the rice and scoop up with a chapati AND he got me another chapati just so I could try it out hahah) - which anywhere else could have been a bit annoying or invasive but because he was friendly and just genuinely trying to teach me something about Indian food culture it didn't feel condescending in any way.
Plus they've recently spruced up the place by painting Indian-themed scenes across the walls.
All in all I recommend!

Pros: Good prices, Lovely staff, Goood food

Cons: Out of the centre

Tasty and Tons of Vegan Options - Edit

This place has an extensive menu of options for both vegetarians and vegans, so it was refreshing to come across when we arrived in the city. We went a bit crazy and tried ordering an excessive amount of food for two people, but the gentleman who took the order was kind enough to reign us back in and suggest we cut a few things. We had the order delivered to our hotel and they arrived in a reasonable amount of time, but forgot to include our dessert. :( We were impressed with the curry and veggie dishes, very flavorful, but were a little disappointed in the sampler platter which had a lot of fried items that all seemed a bit dry. Stay away from the atomic balls if you don't want your mouth to burst into flames. :) Overall, a wonderful little place offering vegans a plentiful selection in a city without many options.

Pros: Tons of Options, Delivery Offered

Cons: Some items a bit dry

Brilliant As Usual - Edit

The vegetarian food studio was brilliant as usual. If you're a veggie or vegan visiting or in Cardiff then this place is a must. Voted best restaurant in Wales in 2012 it really deserves all the awards. Reasonably priced and frequented by a mix of nationalities the food is just fantastic. Be aware that it's moved to the next block in bigger nicer premises

Pros: Food, Choice , Atmosphere

Cons: None , None , None

Pleasant place - Edit

The environment is simple but elegant with some funny kitsch elements. Staff is friendly and welcoming. Plenty of vegan options. We asked for a suggestion to the waiter as we did not know what to choose. We had 2 starters, a portion of poppadom and 2 northen indian mains with Onion Jeera Rice and vegan rotli bread as side. Everything delicious and rich. £25 is really good value for money as we were truly sated. 4 cows because plates were a bit too hot even for spice lovers.

Pros: Price, Quality, Friendly staff and environment

Cons: Too spicy

Happy to customize anything - Edit

We went in for a special meal, vegan without onion and garlic and they were more then happy to accommodate.

If there is one dish you have to try, I'd recommend the aubergine dish, delish.

Pros: Super friendly, Vegan friendly

A Cardiff must go - Edit

We come here for a meal whenever we're in Cardiff and we always go away very happy and with a bag of "atom bombs" for later consumption. There is a huge vegan choice from starters to breads and even options for a vegan lassi. Very little is here that is also on a high street Indian restaurant menu and virtually nothing on a high street Indian restaurant is as good as anything at VFS.

Pros: amazing choice, wonderful food, atom bombs!

Perfect - Edit

I don't go here as often as I should, but every time I have friends down to visit Cardiff, vegetarian or not I bring them here.

Huge selection, so you'll always find something you want to try. One word: LUSH.

Pros: Tasty, Authentic

Cons: Location?

wonderful food + sweets - Edit

Tons of choices, many can be made vegan. Not a bad walk from Central station. The meal was delicious and the sweets afterward were great as well (including a warmed carrot halwa). They have dosas, curries, and many more to choose from. The chai was nice as well.

An aboslute must of a place - Edit

This place has amazing value and range. Very authentic with some unusual dishes. One of the only places I've ever come across to do vegan lassi. An absolute must. Only 10 minutes walk from rear entrance of Central Station. Won Welsh Curry House of The Year.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 26, 2009

Pros: Amazing range, Authentic food, Great value

Cons: Best 2Have map if you don't know Cardiff

Make Reservation - Edit

We went there on Saturday night at around 7.30pm. We had to wait for 30-40 minutes to be seated. So may be it is better to make reservation during weekend.
The food is authentically India and taste good. Some can be a bit too spicy for most people. The service is good, the staff seems dedicated and attentive. The price is reasonable as well.
The very good price Thali is tasty, but not inspiring.

Pros: Food, Service, Price

Cons: A bit small

5 *'s - Edit

I've been really getting into this place lately, and have been getting about 6 people in work into it to. Totally love it. It's all good but you have to have the samosas. Thali is excellent value. I still have loads to try!

Pros: awsome, win

Best Indian Veg ever - Edit

Totally wonderful place. Huge vegan choice and very friendly and helpful staff. They even had a small selection of 'Chinese' style vegan dishes which pleased my partner (very unusual in an Indian restaurant). The vegan mango lassi was to die for and just can't wait to go back to sample even more. There was even a few vegan 'indian sweets' for dessert which made a nice change.
The prices are very cheap and it's very easy to find being only about ten minutes walk from Cardiff main railway station.
Just go to this place when you are next in Cardiff, you won't regret it.

Pros: Great vegan choice, Friendly staff, Vegan Mango Lassi

Cons: Small, so book

Finally a reason to eat out in Cardiff! - Edit

This place is amazing. I couldn't believe the excellent food and amazing choice for vegans and veggies alike. You could eat out here for a month and not have the same dish twice. I loved the authenticity of the homemade chutneys and pickles and interesting menu selections. Totally unique culinary experience. The prices were incredibly cheap but not the quality. Great for quick takeaway snacks if you're passing buy.

I can't wait to go back.

Pros: huge menu, cheap!, great food

Cons: a bit brightly lit and spartan, 15 minute walk from train station

Best Indian in Cardiff - Edit

My favourite place to eat in Cardiff and nothing is ever too much trouble (my friend is allergic to onion and they always cook up a fresh dish just for him).

The vegan & Vegi options are endless and extremely tasty, they even do Vegan Mango Lassi's! The food is also amazing value for money.

On top of all this they do home deliveries!

Pros: Great Vegan Selection, Amazing Value for Money, Vegan & Vegi Home Deliveries

Return to Cardiff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetarian Food Studio closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4557 times since Aug 2007.