Vegetarian Dim Sum House

Contact 212-577-7176

24 Pell St (at Mott St, Chinatown, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10013

Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Manhattan with an extensive menu of vegetarian versions of traditional Chinese dim sum dishes priced per dish. Open Mon-Sun 10:30am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by Poundie

Microwaved frozen food - Edit

I went here, delighted that I found a veggie dim sum place near my cousin's favorite dim sum place, and was extremely let down. Prices were high, portions were small, and everything was super salty. The pork buns I got were cracked on the top which only happens if you try to heat a frozen one uncovered in a microwave, instead of steaming them. The shrimp wrapped in rice noodle was the saltiest thing I've ever eaten, and there were two on the plate, each containing one faux shrimp and the saddest bit of cilantro. I think that plate cost $5? I only wish I could rate this one star, but happycow doesn't allow me to do so.

Pros: Veggie options

Cons: Salty, Expensive, Terrible

An array of flavours - Edit

A calm and quiet escape from the bustling city. Extensive menu with a large array of vegetable, and mock meat dishes. Service was good, and the price was reasonable for the area. Good portion sizes, don't order more than 3 dim sum! Good but not the best

Pros: Extensive menu, Good for sharing

Cons: Mock shrimp balls - avoid

GREAT... But Dissapointing - Edit

This place is owned by the same people who owned "House of Vegetarian" on Mott. St, which was my FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD. 2 weeks ago it closed for good and had a sign on the door directing us us to the Vegetarian Dim Sum house instead. We ate there twice and both times we were disappointed.

The "Steak kew" Gluten and Duck appetizers were as spectacular as ever and the hot and sweet steak Kews are probably still my favorite foods in the world. The sauces and textures are divine.

The Iron steak which is made out of deep fried yams with a tangy/unbelievable Chinese BBQ sauce , was still amazing, but the flavor of the sauce was slightly off and instead of the Al Dente Broccoli which always came with it, it came with bok choy, which does not go nearly as well with the tenderness of the "Iron Steak" or the powerful flavor of the sauce. The curry tofu (order it fried!) had a great sauce and was still the best tofu dish I've eaten in 34 years as a vegetarian, but the tofu was not cooked as well and lacked any crunch and there were less veggies in it. I would still highly recommend both, they just didn't quite live up to expectations.

While the flavor of the Hot and Sour soup was excellent, the soup itself was thoroughly displeasing as it was just a huge bowl of broth with no content except for crumb sized pieces of silken tofu in it. and the smallest soup was almost 6 bucks.

The biggest disappointment was definitely the dim sum. We tried two types: the shrimp and spinach. The shrimp was just a vege shrimp in a dumpling wrapper and was as bland and unimaginative as could be. The spinach had very little spinach in it and was mostly some kind of soft mush which most closely resembled soggy kasha. We both spit it out after one bite.

Overall, this place is probably the last link in the chain for those who loved the original Chinatown Vege Mainstays of Vegetarian Paradise I & III, and House of Vegetarian, so for those like myself who grew up eating there, it's a restaurant to be treasured, as they still make the same dishes, despite coming up just short of the greatness of its predecessors.

Next time we're in New York we'll definitely give this place another shot, considering that they make some of the most amazing flavors and dishes I've ever had, I;m hoping that cooking-wise they just had a few off nights.

Pros: Spicy & Sweet Gluten=Best food in the world, Huge menu filled with Delicious flavors, Quick Service

Cons: No Lunch special, No Dipping Sauces 4 appetziers

wow, what a disappointment! - Edit

Stopped in for lunch on a recent visit to NYC. Very sorry I did so. None o the food tasted very good... Just plain. Service was bad.. A bunch of young women in the middle of a Dinah room not doing much of anything. Menus did a really poor job of describing food. So very frustrated to have wasted the time and money there. Very much like a chinese restaurant where the primary language is Mandarin... Servers didn't speak English, menu descriptions weren't good in English. Wish I could recommend but I just can't.

Decent vegetarian fare - Edit

Quite an extensive menu. Servers are very knowledgeable and helpful. Food was amazing although the interior is a little dated. Not sure if they take reservations but they do not have space for large parties.

If there's a party of 3-4, the appropriate amount would be 3 dishes as the servings are quite large. For 1-2 people, stick to the dimsum or the servings for a single person.

Reminded me of the vegetarian food I used to get back in Malaysia & Singapore.

Overall, a reasonable family dining experience. Will totally go back for more!

Pros: Good Food, Friendly staff, Large Portions

Cons: dated interior

Go Here! (often) - Edit

When I'm not in NYC, I'm thinking about Vegetarian Dim Sum. When I'm in NYC, I'm thinking about Vegetarian Dim Sum. If I could, I would move next door and eat at this place every day.

Pros: huge menu, amazing dim sum, staff

Cons: dated interior

Cash only, inexpensive - Edit

I have very little to add to the many other reviews, but I can't believe none of the other reviews seem to mention that it's CASH ONLY! Not a value judgement, we just would have saved a few minutes had we known beforehand.

The menu is huge and cheap. We ordered a ton of dim sum and small soups and it was still only $15 a person.

Lots of options - Edit

I'm always frustrated when I go to a dim sum restaurant: as a vegetarian you have basically no choices. So every time I'm in NY I go to this place: you can choose between 30 or so options. You're not sure what you will get but surprises are part of the experience. Dim Sum are 3 to 4$ for 3 or 4 pieces. Two people can eat for less than 20 dollars.
Service is fast but not friendly.
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 31, 2015

Pros: Cheap, Fast, Surprises

Cons: Surprises, Unfriendly service

Amazing - Edit

So worth the walk to get here. Amazing food, super cheap, super tasty. You get 3/4 dumplings for like $3/4. There were some weird items on the menu I avoided.

Pros: Affordable, Tasty, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Not 100% vegan, Some weird items on the menu

Veg dim sum and Chinese food! - Edit

This is a vegetarian institution in Chinatown, and the decor may be showing it. The dim sum is awesome and veg, so you can rest assured when you eat here that there is no pork lard, chicken broth or oyster sauce in or on anything. The menu is in 3 parts: specials, dim sum and the menu book.

On the specials list, the snow pea shoots and watercress dumplings are highly recommended green dough wrapped triangularly around snow pea leaves and shiitake mushrooms. On the dim sum list, consider items like the taro, rice rolls with kale, rice rolls with crueller, sticky rice in lotus leaf, turnip cake, and the steamed fake BBQ pork buns. Delectable vegan yum!

For the main menu, it is divided into sections like mock meats, tofu, mushrooms, noodles and rice dishes. They also have traditional congee! My favorite dishes are probably the noodles dishes- pan fried, thin rice or thicker rice noodles. There is also a pumpkin and beef and bell pepper dish. The mushrooms do a delicious job of flavoring the choy.

The staff are very friendly and attentive, kindly answering your questions. Sometimes, it can be hard to get the staff attention. On the more than a dozen- two dozen times I have been here, the staff is always running around.

Great food that is affordable!

Pros: Vegan dim sum, Vegan noodles, Mushrooms and tofu

Cons: Cash only, Decor

Best vegan roast pork buns - Edit

I grew up as a meat-eater in Flushing. I basically grew up on dim sum, and I loved roast pork buns. When I became vegan, I went to Buddha Bodhai in Flushing and in Chinatown. Their dim sum is pretty good, but their roast pork buns cannot compare to Vegetarian Dim Sum House. The rice rolls are great, and I also enjoy the treasure balls, which are like constituted potatoes mashed into balls and fried. Put some hot oil sauce on there and bam! Delicious. The only downside is the restaurant is cash only!

Pros: Vegan roast pork buns, Vegan dim sum, Dim sum all day everyday

Cons: Cash only

Great Variety of Vegetarian Dim Sum - Edit

I love dim sum. I wasn't always vegetarian and I remember I would scarf down everything at a dim sum place, but that changed once my diet changed. In Houston, we only have a place that sells a limited amount of vegetarian dim sum items (maybe around 5-7), so coming to this place (smack dab in the middle of NYC's Chinatown) that boasted a fairly extensive dim sum menu.. I was in heaven! The only thing missing were the rolling carts that can be seen at those get-the-full-experience dim sum houses and a larger dim sum dessert menu, but the place was packed, as per usual at dim sum houses. Note: the English translations of the items were odd so I stuck with the Chinese.

It's a normal Asian place. The service is decent and the bare minimum (they seat you, take your order, and you're left to your own devices until it's time to pay), the cleanliness is passable, and the food greasy (it's DIM SUM - it's not healthy and it's not meant to be eaten regularly, so even though I tend to go towards healthy food, this is my Asian comfort food). We ended up choosing 7 items for two people with a pot of tea, which came as soon as we sat down. The tea is necessary to digest the oils in the food. It also turns out that from what we could tell (we also asked), a good majority of the dim sum items are onion and garlic free. Score!

We ate it and we soon found ourselves full with a little less than half leftover and ready to be taken out for that day's dinner. It was cheap and enough for an entire day's meals for two people! All I have to say is where are the egg tarts?? Other than that, this place is a winner. Don't expect spotless conditions or perfect service. You're in Chinatown and the food is enough. They do have another regular Chinese menu, but I was there for the dim sum so I ignored that.

New York, you're spoiled! NOTE: For vegans, dim sum (and Asian food in general) is primarily vegan. The only thing you might need to worry about are the desserts and items with eggs, but from what I could tell, it is largely vegan.

Pros: large variety of food, delicious

Cons: needs to come to Houston

Out of luck... - Edit

Unfortunately we felt a bit out of luck when we finally got to the Vegetarian Dim-Sum House in New York City. My wife is vegan, I am vegetarian, but when we tried to explain this to the waiter (who 30 minutes later fought an epic battle with the dirty dishes on our table, and got almost defeated by them), it turned out that he does not understand English, other than the usual phrases ("Take a seat", "What would you like to drink?"), etc. As we couldn't explain what "milk" or "diary product" is, we gave up, and my wife haven't had anything. I tried the hot and sour soup and two different kind of dim-sums, but all of them were boring, way below the average.

There are so many better places to go in NYC - unfortunately I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone. I don't really understand the almost 4 stars...

Pros: Big portions, Huge variety

Cons: Difficult communication, Lack of atmosphere, Not very tidy

Perfectly fine - Edit

This is a fine vegetarian restaurant, with a plentiful menu. It offers dim sum, and there are many dishes for mock meat fans. The setting is comfortable, service is good. We had the snow pea leaves dumplings as appetizer. They were good. The vegetables in the Shredded Vegetable with Bean Curd Skin were mostly bean sprouts. The Black Mushroom with Soy Sticks did not have a preponderance of mushrooms. Nevertheless this was a good vegetarian dining choice.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 21, 2013

Pros: many menu options, have dim sum, comfortable

Avoid the worst vegetarian Chinese place ever - Edit

I've been to dozens of this sort of place over the years. This is hands-down the worst I've been to. We had mock pork and mock duck appetisers - the former was inedible, the latter bearable but without the usual plum sauce and pancakes to make it nice. The sesame chicken was burnt to a cinder, but that was at least digestible compared to the sweet and sour chicken. I've never seen a veggie Chinese place mess up sweet and sour chicken - but I've never spat out food in one either, until here. One of the most gross things I've ever eaten. Decor old and tired, almost dirty as others say. Expensive, and rubbish. I wish I'd checked HappyCow instead of other shills before I went.

Gobo, Vegetarians Paradise 2, Zen Palate are all excellent. Avoid this place like the plague.

Pros: absolutely nothing

Cons: disgusting food, really disgusting food, no I mean it, really really disgusting

Excellent food, cheap, tasty - Edit

We've missed dim sum since going vegan, so it was a real treat to find this place. Very authentic food, and centrally located in vibrant Chinatown.

Loved the entire vegan menu - it was a big menu and really cheap. We ate a lot and it was great value for money. The servers were very helpful and able to answer all of our questions.

We'll definitely be back next time we visit New York.

Pros: Vegan dim sum experience, authentic, cheap

Unhealthy and lacks significant/noticeable variety - Edit

I had dim sum. I was disappointed as most of my dim sum selections were covered in rice flour and constituted 70% of a single dim sum making the food heavy. The shrimp dumpling was rice covered in rice flour and steamed. It lacked a variety of tastes. The wontons consisted of fried flour with something in it that was in such a small amount that it can't be given credit for being a part of the wonton--almost non-existant. It took me 2 hours to get there and find the place from the upper east side via subway. The crowds in China town slowed my transit time down as well.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 12, 2012

Cons: Poor service, Lacks variety, Lacks taste

Just Awesome! - Edit

We were a little hesitant to eat here after reading some of the reviews... We are REALLY glad we tried it! We chose all steamed Dim Sum, therefore nothing was fried nor greasy. Everything was great. Some of the best Dim Sum ever, and we have had it all over the country. Just ask which ones are steamed when you order, and you can not go wrong.

Pros: Flavor, Value

Not as good as it seems - Edit

Since it was listed as a great vegetarian Chinese restaurant in many travel guides, we went there. The staff weren't very nice or didn't understand much English. And then the food.. If you try anything fried, you will only taste the grease and not the food, it was totally drenched in oil. The other things we ordered weren't particularly good either.

In a place like NYC, I regret having spend my time there instead of any of the other great restaurants.

Cons: greasy, bad food, bad atmosphere

The place to go for rudeness & greasy food. - Edit

We've been here a handful of times, the first time was neat (due to sheer novelty). But the last time we went was the LAST time. The food is so heavy & greasy, I feel like my arteries are clogging as I'm eating the food (that doesn't happen often, being vegan).

The restaurant itself is lacking in decor (that's not a big deal to some people) but it almost feels dirty.

And the every time we've been the the service has been awful. The food comes out fast, but the servers are so rude. I left a tip on the table, we paid at the front & went to leave & the server asked for a tip. I asked her to repeat what she had said because I was confused & she wanted to make sure we left a tip. SO RUDE. We should have just walked over & took the tip back. They didn't deserve a tip in the first place. Yes, they brought food, but they never checked on us, never cracked a smile, & when my friend spilled a little of their house tea, we asked for some napkins & the lady comes over with sopping wet towel (that's dripping from either a previous cleanup or something else) she wipes the table & leaves is completely saturated with this wet substance (doesn't dry it off) and proceeds to give us dirty looks for the rest of the meal.

Save your $$$ and go somewhere more inviting & more appreciative of your business & with healthier options.

Wish I could give this place 0 cows but they make you give 2.

Pros: Decent sized servings

Cons: Greasy Food, Rude Servers, Place feels dirty

Must try harder! - Edit

I decided to check out this Veggie Dim sum whilst on holiday in NYC house after reading several positive reviews on Happy Cow. I'm a big fan of Chinese food, and I guess I must have been spoilt by having had some great Dim Sum at home in the UK.

The food came very quickly, and the portions were generous, however I found it all very fatty, overly sweet, and mostly gloopy and tasteless, like the sort of stuff you used to get in UK takeaways about twenty years ago! We struggled to even eat half of the meal, and in fact the table next to us ate about two mouthfulls of their food and left.

The service was poor, with the staff unfriendly and verging on downright rude, and they forgot our drinks order altogether, despite the restaurant being near empty.

I would recommend you don't be seduced by the lure of the all veggie menu, I'm sure there must be far superior places for dim sum in NYC where veggies can still get a good selection.

Pros: Generous portions, Fast

Cons: Poor quality food, Fatty, Bad service

Great Dim Sum But That's All! - Edit

Whenever I am in Chinatown I go here for the vegan dim sum which I love but I recommend you stay with the dim sum because every single time I have ordered from their regular menu I have been disappointed.

They have a good hot and sour soup too.

I wish the food was healthier though. They have a lot of fried food and processed white flour. It is hard to eat healthy there.

Try the spinach dumplings!

Pros: Dim Sum!, Fast Service, Lots of Room

Cons: Mostly Unhealthy, Regular Menu Not Good

Prefer Dim Sum Go Go instead - Edit

I used to come to this place every weekend for my dim sum fix...until I discovered Dim Sum Go Go near by. Dim Sum Go Go has better selection of steamed dumplings and it is made more delicately than Vegetarian Dim Sum House. VDSH has better fried dishes (taro ball comes to mind) and stir fry dishes. The only down side to DSGG is that they are not strictly vegetarian...but if you want the best vegan dim sum, they are surprisingly amazing.

Vegetarian in Chinatown - Edit

I was just here mid August and had a very nice dinner. I have eaten here 3 or 4 times in the past few years and it is quite consistent. I would suggest ordering from the dumplings menu as that is the specialty. There used to be a big place a block away om Mott called Vegetarian Paradise but it has been closed for over a year. It is Chinatown so don't expect any service or presentation. Just good food and lots of variety.

Pros: Quick service, Variety, Fun neighborhood

Cons: Unfriendly, Drab ambience

Bring your appetite and sense of adventure! - Edit

Vegetarian Dim Sum House is awesome. They have a decent sized menu filled with various types of dishes - vegetable-based, faux meat-based, noodle-based, etc. But we hardly even look at that. The REAL fun here, as you might guess by their name, is in the dim sum.

Each table is given a dim sum card, which is separate from the regular menu. We typically choose two items per person, three if we're really hungry and/or can't make up our minds. Much of the time we have no idea what we're ordering. Often we can't tell which item is which once they reach the table. But that's the fun of it all! You end up with a table full of deliciousness for the sharing - and spend about ten or twelve bucks per person, including tip. How can you go wrong?

Some of our favorite items to date: Fried Turnip Cakes (definitely get them fried, not steamed - the texture is all wrong if they're not fried); Treasure Balls (crispy deep fried balls of mashed taro, awesome drizzled with soy sauce and chili oil); Rice Flour Rolls with Mock Ham and Cilantro; Rice Flour Rolls with Chinese Kale (they're slippery and hard to get into your mouth with chopsticks, but the rice flour rolls are oh so tasty); Steamed Buns (the Roast Pork Buns, Sesame Paste Buns, and Preserved Cabbage Buns are all wonderful - remember to remove the paper circle from the bottom!); Pan Fried Dumplings and Steamed Spinach Dumplings (nice "safe bet" items, which you need to balance out some of the more bizarre offerings); anything with White Fungus (definitely one of the more bizarre offerings).

Now, this is not health food. Be forewarned - much of the dim sum offered is starch-laden, and much of it is deep fried and/or oily. And you will want to eat a lot of it. Sometimes we try to balance this out by ordering a dish of sautéed Chinese broccoli in a light, gingery brown sauce, which usually calms the conscience... but honestly, with food so fun, you really have to just let go and enjoy the ride. :o)

Pros: Intriguing menu items, Super cheap, FUN!

great place to take meat eating man - Edit

As a longtime vegan/vegetarian, I'm always happy to find places like this that offer a total vegan menu. And as a former lover of traditional Chinese dim sum, I was happy for the nostalgic experience. Here the food was tasty but yes, a bit greasy in keeping with Chinese-style. My hungry 6'2" omnivore man loved it. My favorites (& the less greasy options) were the spinach bao & turnip cake. Like another reviewer said, food is probably not organic & the sticky rice certainly wasn't brown, but the food was plentiful, filling, inexpensive, & served quickly.

Pros: all vegan, fast service, inexpensive

Cons: on the greasy side

Great Vegan Dim Sum - Edit

Every year I'm in NYC, I walk down to Chinatown and get some vegan Dim Sum here...it's EXCELLENT! Lots of different types...all have been so tasty and filling! I have never been able to find another vegan dim sum restaurant like this one - YUM!!!

Pros: Vegan Dim Sum, Lots of Choices, Not very costly

Cons: Too far from Las Vegas

Yummy - Edit

My companion and I were pleasantly surprised by this place. It was a little challenging to find in Chinatown. But the food was tasty (yes, I agree with earlier posters, it was oily-but not anymore than non veggie dimsum). The service was somewhat indifferent (not overly friendly, but not really rude either), which I don't mind. The restaurant wasn't all that busy when we were there, so the food arrived quickly. The interior decor was simple. By New York standards, the price was reasonable. I will be recommending this place to veggie friends and family and would make a point of returning on future trips.

Pros: tasty food, reasonable price, reasonably clean

Cons: not really healthy

Good, but did not live up to the hype - Edit

Vegetarian Dim Sum House was highly recommended on Happy Cow and elsewhere, and I was very excited to try it. Although it's a pretty good restaurant, I was disappointed. (Perhaps this was due in part to the fact that I had just eaten at Buddha Bodai restaurant earlier and wasn't terribly hungry). Regardless, the menu was not too extensive and the food was not too appetizing. It was crowded and the service was just ok. Given that there are other excellent vegan Chinese restaurants in the neighbourhood, I wouldn't choose to come back here.

Pros: Reasonably priced

Cons: Food just ok

My favorite strictly vegetarian Chinese food - Edit

I highly recommend this place. The first time I ate there, the service wasn't that great (it was busy and they forgot to bring us our food and then didn't discount the cost for the delays and confused orders) but the food was so amazing that I had to go back. I now go whenever possible and have been impressed by every menu item I've tried so far. It is also favored amongst my non-vegetarian friends and family. They will eat there without me. You can eat very cheaply there as well because the portions are large enough to order one or two dim sum items and feel quite full. You can easily share a portion of a meal as well. If you are used to having to choose from the few menu items that are vegan or vegetarian, you will look like a deer in headlights for the number of choices they offer. The service is fine during slower hours. Go for the food. Just try it if you are in NYC. You will crave it.

Pros: Excellent Food, Inexpensive, Broad Menu

Cons: Service slow when busy, You may be seated with strangers

Excellent DimSum - Edit

A great choice of dim sum options. Unfortunately one needs to pick from the menu, rather than from trays being presented to each table, which is normally the case in dim sum restaurants.

If the monks go there, it must be good - Edit

I can honestly say this was an enjoyable experience... to dine next to Buddhist monks! There were 2 of us and we all stuffed our faces with everything that sounded delicious and it only cost us $21. Thats a DEAL! The food was great. The service was great and I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot.

Pros: Great food, Cheap food, Cute set up

Cons: Creepy Chinatown

DIVE AND HOLE IN THE WALL - Edit

Being spoiled by west coast and canada vegan/vegetarin dim sum, this is by far worst than san francisco hole in the wall in chinatown.
their sticky rice banana wrap was a big ball of rice.
poor quality and very typical old school east coast vegetarism.

A favorite - Edit

I make a point of going here every time I go to New York. The food is fantastic and super cheap.

Pros: awesome food, unique dining experience, very cheap

Cons: finding it in chinatown

Fun place - Edit

This is a fun place to eat, athough not overly healthy. You can order a variety of small dim sum vegan items. The food is tasty, but oily; I doubt that the food is natural or organic.

Pros: Not healthy oriented, drab decor

Cons: fun to try dim sum

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetarian Dim Sum House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5178 times since Aug 2007.