VegeTable

Contact 02-27555080

2, Alley 8, Lane 266, Sec. 4, Ren’ai Rd, Da’an District, Taipei, Taiwan, 106

Plant-based restaurant opened Dec 2015 at 仁愛路四段266巷8弄2號. Serves primarily Japanese food with a few western dishes. All vegan except for wine. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine

First Review by JesseD

Somewhat disappointing, but Early Days - Edit

This restaurant is connected with Tosca, one of my favourite mid-range vegan restaurants in Kyoto, which is probably the vegan capital of Asia. I was very excited to hear that the lifelong vegan owner was opening a restaurant in Taipei, and excited to hear that a new Japanese restaurant was opening, but didn't realise that VegeTable was either of these when I went there.

But I must admit I was disappointed. VegeTable has a nice interior, and the food was good - not outstanding, but certainly a nice dining experience, quality-wise. But it was just too expensive for what it was: I ordered two dishes, which came to NT560, and left hungry enough that had I had the time I would have gone to the nearby Veggie Creek Dunnan store for 'dinner' afterwards (I didn't have time, so dinner was convenience store food). I think a filling meal would cost around NT1000 per person, with drinks extra, and I don't think the food is worth that.
I think it's more expensive than Tosca, and this is Taipei, not Kyoto.

Also, the (non-vegan) owner didn't know anything about whether or not his wine was vegan, or even that wines usually aren't vegan. This is a bad sign for a vegan restaurant, as it calls into doubt how careful he is with the food.

It's early days, and there's certainly a niche market for vegan Japanese food in Taipei, and Tosca is brilliant, so I hope things will improve. But this was my first experience at VegeTable, and I'm in no hurry to return.

Pros: good vegan food (I hope), Japanese food!, pleasant interior

Cons: very expensive, appears to serve non-vegan drinks

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has VegeTable closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.