CLOSED: Vegemesta

Contact 358-9689888888

Pieni Roobertinkatu 4, Helsinki, Finland, 00130

It's a small walk-in shop with a couple of tables. Fast food with veggie burgers, falafel pita, and curry hot dog. No visible signage. MAY 2014, REPORTED CLOSED TO HAPPYCOW. LOOKING FOR A NEW LOCATION TO OPEN.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Sonja and Dirk

Tasty fast food - Edit

This little fast food joint hits the spot. I had the chickpea balls with sweet potato wedges and a bit of salad. The food was all tasty. The friendly worker was happy to point out the vegan options and also offered me vegan mayonnaise. Yum. I felt a bit unhealthy eating all that fried fast food - but sometimes that's what we want!

Pros: Tasty, Quick, Happy to provide vegan

Cons: A bit fast-food-ish

great fast food for vegans - Edit

The first time I went to Vegemesta was with a groupof friends that aren't vegetarian, they loved the place anyway. Great food and nice staff, the food is really tasty. They prepare it in front of you and let you chose between many options like rye bread or white bread, with or without mayo and stuff. I detest mayo so I prefer they ask me all the questions rather than assuming that I want one thing or the other. So yes, totally recommended.

Pros: Excellent food, good value

Ok place for fast food, service a bit unfriendly - Edit

I went past the place a few minutes before 10 am when the owner just opened the door. He was busy with setting up the place and complained about me coming too early. He got a bit agitated when I started asking about his menu and he almost asked me to leave because he thought I should have just told him what I wanted and not wasted his time. I kept smiling and continued asking and chose my food. The man became a bit friendlier after I also expressed my happines when I saw the ginger beer they had imported from the U.K.
I ordered Finnish rye bread burger. It was ok, though not very cheap. And the ginger beer was good.

Pros: Ginger beer available, Quite quick service

Cons: A bit unfriendly and inpatient staff, expensive

Tourists in Helsinki - Edit

We ate there hamburger with potatos and a vegan kebab.
First of all it's good to have a veggie options in downtown.
The place seems dirty and messy. It's not clear what is vegan.
It's not organic. Hamburger was ok, but potatos were bad quality.
Two little tables outside on the street, and one inside. Inside was a little bit smelly. Personally the next time I will choose other veggie restaurants in Helsinki.

Pros: Position, Fast food-take away

Cons: Dirty, Bad food quality, Price not fair

Even good for non vegetarian partners - Edit

I liked the place, however I like the feel of a greasy spoon, and have no problem with it. I had the double cheese veggie burger and fries. My wife on the other hand was not so fond of it. Since my wife didn't like how they cooked the food, with sunflower oil, they microwaved the falafel instead. It was a little small, not the best for kids. Not really the cleanest, but I like grimey.

Pros: friendly staff, great greasy spoon burger joint, good location

Cons: cook in sunflower oil, small hard to fit large groups, limited menu

the worst place in town - Edit

I went the place near Sörnainen last year, this year (2011 on summer) I went this place and I got the same than in the other place: a small and expensive salty food, the place was dirty and the kitchen looks like a mess, the girl who works there even wasn't friendly and also was very hot inside and with only one table out the place on the street my option was eat stand up on the street... and not even vegan cheese option, and I think they dont take care about vegan people because I noticed that they mix the tools, pan and knives that they use for the cheese.

I'm in Helsinki traveling with PETA for a few days and we found this place here on Happy Cow and we are SO GLAD that we did! This place not only has amazing food, but it's made to order in less than 10 minutes right in front of you and is super good! The customer service is some of THE BEST I've ever had and Robert, who started the resturant (who also works there) is SUPER NICE and is extremely helpful to out of towners who need to know how to get around Finland, etc. We went there yesterday and will be returning there today. I had the vegan dog and the vegan burger and they both were really good! They also had a guy spinning records in there and the music he played was a mixture of Chicago Blues, Jazz and awesome Finnish musical groups. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this resturant to anyone and I wish they were back home in Los Angeles!

Pros: Amzing Customer Service, Awesome Food, Great atmosphere/music

Amaaaaazing! - Edit

I loved this place, had the falafel first, then went back the next day for my first ever kebab. The 'meat' was great, and everything was cooked fresh and - well, just no complaints at all. The staff were also really friendly and helpful (and spoke English). It is small and I don't think there's a loo, but it's near a pleasant square for eating your takeout in (by a Hesburger (like McDonalds) which has a toilet!). The fries were made with the potato skins on too, just the way I like them :)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good value

Cons: Rather small, Not open evenings

good for takeaway - Edit

We stopped in for lunch while sightseeing and it hit the spot. It's just a small walk in shop with a couple tables, but it's good for a quick bite or takeaway. The menu board is separated between vegetarian and vegan. Dirk wanted the schnitzel so badly, but they were out. Instead we got the falafel pita and karri dog (curry flavored) which were both good. I wondered about the sauce in the pita, so we asked and learned that it's a house made vegan sauce. We found out that the guy was the owner, so we briefly chatted with him. He mentioned he was a friend on Happy Cow, so we gave him a couple of window stickers for both locations. Really nice guy. Overall, we had a good experience as the service was friendly and the food was a good value for the money.

Pros: central location, vegan options, friendly service

Cons: small shop

Contributions +75

Great vegan fast food. - Edit

Really yummy vegan and vegetarian fast food. Separate ovo-lacto vegetarian and vegan menus. Very friendly staff. Would recommend this place to any veggie/vegans spending time in Helsinki.Seems expensive, but reasonable in comparison to prices elsewhere in Helsinki. Would recommend the vegan double schnitzel! Get all the free toppings too!

Pros: Vegan fast food, Friendly staff, Free wi-fi

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Vegemesta closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3160 times since Jul 2011.