Vegelangelo

Contact 089-28806836

Thomas-Wimmer-Ring 16 (at next to S-Bahn), Munich, Germany, 80538

Weekly menu features international dishes with vegetables, potatoes, noodles, and rice. Uses seasonal and GMO-free ingredients. Non smoking. This is a one person operation (proprietor does everything) so reservations are requested so she can plan out her ingredients for the day.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Beer/Wine

First Review by Red Sonya

Lovely! - Edit

We had the 3 course dinner. The chef (a very nice lady) made some adjustments in the menu just because we are vegans and everything was awesome. We came without making a reservation but there was empty tables, thanks God. We had an amazing experience.

Great food & great atmosphere - Edit

We visited this restaurant on a friday evening which was interesting as on fridays and saturdays the restaurant only serves either a 3-course or a 5-course menu. A reservation is not only recommended but mandatory as this is a smaller restaurant and to avoid being turned away at the door, really do make a reservation. The menus can be made vegan and the vegan option I had was great! This was one of the best vegan meals I have had in a while and I will definitely be back for more. Maybe this time during the week to be able to try some more dishes from the regular menu. This place will even appeal to non-vegetarians. The atmosphere is cosy and intimate and a great option for "date night".

Pros: Very cosy and individual setting, Great food - also for vegans, very friendly and accommodating staff

Cons: reservations highly recommended

Super - Edit

We went there for a dinner during the week. First impression was, that it's an cozy small restaurant and the owner she does everything by herself (service and cooking). She is very friendly and did everything she could do to satisfy us. It's no problem for her to fulfill extra wishes as to the meals.
The main courses overall were delicious though nothing too special. Nevertheless, it's very yummy to eat there.

Could be better... - Edit

I went to Vegelangelo with my boyfriend last weekend and we had a 3 course menu. The atmosphere is nice though a bit overloaded of Asian-spiritual stuff. The menu started with a algue salad and beetroot-coconut soup, both vegan, but the soup came with buckwheat which was not mentioned on the menu and that ruined the soup. The bread that came along with the selfmade spread was good, nevertheless. The main dish was polenta with vegetables. It was okay but nothing special and too salty. The other option that evening was some pasta but it was not possible to have it vegan as the pasta contained egg (which is something really not necessary even for a vegetarian I would say). The dessert - mousse au chocolat - was great but could not compensate the rest. For that price we would definitely expect more. The owner (and service and cook) was nice but not too service-orientated, we would have had more drinks for example if she had asked but she passed by without even looking our direction... This evening only six guests were there, most of the reserved tables where still empty when we left after 9 pm.

Pros: Atmosphere, dessert

Cons: Price performance ratio

delightful and unique - Edit

The food here is excellent. The dishes can be simple but are prepared with care, tasty but not overwhelming.

The owner asks for reservations, which can be a bit of a nuisance for foreign tourists, but her English is excellent and she works very well with email, so it's really not a problem.

Just one warning: she seems to like smoked cheese a *lot*. I don't. I didn't notice that my main dish was topped with it (to be fair, the menu said so explicitly). So if you don't care for smoky cheese, be careful and be explicit.

This place only takes cash. It's easy to get to by public transport. It's not huge, but it does have more seating than many other Munich vegetarian places.

The ambiance is lovely, with a fun, cross-language music mix. Even the bathroom(s) are amusing (e.g., the mens' room has a collection of toiletries, including perfumes).

But because there seems to be only one person working the whole place, expect things to take time. Don't go here if you're in a rush.

Pros: quality food, great atmosphere, reasonable prices

Cons: smoky cheese!

Marvellous - Edit

Everything was perfect, as we go my partner and I last Friday evening to that beautifully decorated restaurant : location, quietness, hospitality (the owner is so a kind woman, who calls you back in order to confirm your reservation and asks you about everything you need, vegan or allergies), the food was cooked with taste and refinement. We were absolutely convinced, except perhaps by the dessert but it is so a detail. I live in France and I thought : I didn't eat such a good vegan meal (because you can eat perfectly vegan at Vegelangelo !) in a restaurant, even in Paris. Congratulations !

Pros: location, hospitality, the food is great

Enchanting - Edit

We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Vegelangelo in November. The restaurant is small and very well done. It is an interesting place in that it seems to be a true one woman show. The owner does it all. The food was fresh and superbly prepared. Reservations are a must. Although there were tables open, we saw guests turned away who did not have a reservation. Plenty of vegan options. The bathroom must be visited!

A Once Magical Restaurant - Edit

Beautiful place; cosy, warm, friendly as well as fantastic food. The meals are in the league of gourmet quality with lots of vegan choice. There is a friendly orange glow throughout the whole place. We were the last people to arrive one October Saturday evening in 2008 at 10pm and stayed well past midnight with no indication they wanted us to leave. There was another couple in before us who were still there when we left. The owner also stopped by for a chat and was fascinated when she found out we had come especially from England due to Happy Cow. The toilets are really nice with unique touches. Overall, an excellent vegetarian establishment and once a very close contender for my top 10 of all time. After visiting again, however, in October 2011 we were disappointed to be turned away at 22:15 on a Satuday evening and were advised to book no later than 20:00 for midweek dining. This needs to be updated on their business cards and website.

Pros: cosy, food, staff

Cons: little pricey, expensive wine, closes early

Best veggie restaurant in Munich! - Edit

Excellent gourmet vegetarian food. We ate there twice while in Munich on vacation....it was so good the first time we had to go back.  The owner/chef was such a gracious host.  She speaks English very well for the german lingo challenged.  Be sure to call for reservations as there are limited tables and we saw a few people turned away while we were dining.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service with personal attention, great for foodies

Lovely! - Edit

My girlfriend and I checked this place out on my last night in Germany. Neither of us were very hungry unfortunately, but it was my last chance to eat here so we went anyways.
We split a miso soup and the vegan schnitzel and both were amazing.
We sat outside, which was nice, but the inside looked beautiful from what I saw.
Everything was perfect.

Pros: nice selection, delicious

Cons: pricey

excellent! - Edit

was just at this restaurant may 2010. ordered the vegan soy schnitzel with mashed potatoes and veggies. delicious!! everything was amazing.

Pros: good food, good decor, friendly

Cons: odd hours, owner does everything so it can be slow

Absolutely devine - Edit

My partner and I ate here in October 2009 and it was beautiful. Service was fantastic, owner very friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and beautifully decorated. Think soft earthy orange tones, candle light, buddha and animal ornaments. I am vegan and loved the food. We had three courses and loved each one of them. Great, wholesome, tasty food. Thank you for a lovely evening.

Pros: healthy food, great value, fantastic service

Great food! - Edit

My husband and I ate there Saturday night. Great little restaurant and fantastic food. It's not easy finding vegetarian food in Germany so we were thrilled to find this hidden gem. Thanks Iris and we'll see you again soon.

Pros: great food, great service, great location

Cons: none

lovely, elegant vegetarian - Edit

The reviews of Vegelangelo do a great job of singing its praises -- my partner and I went there on a recent trip to Munich and had a wonderful experience.

The food was delicious, as others have said. The restaurant also has a very quiet, elegant atmosphere inside, where we sat. (We had the option of sitting outdoors, but the traffic on the Munich ring road put us off.) Finally there's a smallish but well-chosen wine list. Our bill for appetizers, mains, and two glasses of wine was around 40 Euro.

Overall a good choice for a slightly more upscale vegetarian meal in Munich!

Pros: good ambience, excellently spiced food

Cons: on a busy road

Definitely fine dining! - Edit

The reviews below are right on the money. Great atmosphere and wonderful owner. There is an English menu, but get both so you can tell what can be veganized. I went with the Stew and it was HUGE & wonderful. She uses lots of great spices. Really well located, easy walk from our hotel & the main area in Munich.

Pros: fine dining, funky decor

Great little place - Edit

Delicious food (specials gazpacho and "spring Action" were our table favorites) and good prices. Food was fresh made so not fast, but certainly worth the wait. Staff was very friendly and conscientious-- very aware of vegan choices and careful to alert us to ghee! Lovely atmosphere but small staff, so if you are a big group or in a hurry be sure to call ahead so that they can be ready.

Great Soy Schnitzel - Edit

I highly recommend Vegelangelo! I took my husband and in-laws, who are not vegetarians, to this restaurant and they adored it. The food was amazing - we got a pasta dish, risotto, pancake plate and the soy schnitzel, and all were amazing (my first schnitzel in Munich!). Get the small salad before the meal-it is not on the menu, but the owner will gladly make it for you and it is a great array of fresh vegetables. The restaurant is romantic, quiet and cozily decorated.

Best vegetarian restaurant in Europe - Edit

We ate three times at Vegelangelo during our recent trip to Munich, once for lunch (we ate outside) and twice for dinner. These were probably the best vegetarian meals we have ever eaten (and we are from New York City, where we have eaten at many vegetarian restaurants).

The owner/chef Iris is wonderful and will talk with you if she has time (she speaks excellent English). Her vegetarian versions of traditional Bavarian/Austrian dishes are amazing, especially the sauerkraut and cheese dumplings. My wife said it was the best sauerkraut dish she has ever eaten (and she is from Poland, so she knows from cabbage).

The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated, very restful and tranquil. Even the restrooms were like tiny art galleries, with free lotions and colognes.

Vegelangelo is on the southside of the Thomas Wimmer Ring, just across from the Altstadt and near the Viktualienmarkt. You have to go there.

Pros: excellent food, large portions, wonderul owner/chefs

Masterful - Edit

A small (12 seats) very cosy place with a sunny spiritual decoration. There is a standard menu, with mainly pasta-based dishes and a week menu, from which we ordered the purple rice. A feast for eye, tongue and tummy. I liked particularly liked dessert: chocolate mousse with a hint of pepper. Wicked! If you ask for it, the meals can be completely vegan. The proprietor, a nice German lady, has to leave this location by September and is looking for a new place. Check out the website. She shurely deserves one!

Pros: Gourmet food, Great decoration

Vegelangelo - truly something special in Munich - Edit

For my money Vegangelo offers the best dining experience in Munich. The decor is sumptuous and romantic with original paintings on the wall and lots of lovely little touches. Going to the loo is even a delightful experience with funky decor, beaded curtains and a variety of hand washes, creams and even hair products to use!

The food itself is delicious. The main theme I would say is Italian (lasagne, pasta) with some eastern influences (sushi, lemongrass soup) but using fresh, local produce like steinpilze (wild mushrooms). The portions are generous and elegantly presented by Iris, the owner, whose attentive service is faultless. Overall a really memorable dining experience where every little detail seems to have been thought of - perfect for that romantic meal for two. If you are in Munich go there, in fact you should consider going to Munich anyway just to check this place out!

Pros: Delicious food, Lovely ambiance, Excellent service

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegelangelo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7904 times since Aug 2007.