CLOSED: VegeGood

• Vegetarian

Lg 13-15, Low Yat Mall, Jalan Bukit Bintang (at opposite Berjaya Times Square), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 55100

Features over 100 varieties of food and drinks, has Chinese tea. Lunch buffet and a la carte, dinner a la carte. Has brown rice. No added MSG or egg. The same owners as Green Valley. The food is vegetarian but as always in Asia, the cakes to take away not often. Nearest tube: Bukit Bitang. Located in ground floor / basement. Reported closed to HappyCow, June 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out, Asian

First Review by kparsons

Nice food but getting dirtier by the month - Edit

Been here few times over the years and it's getting dirtier every time. Just don't look into their kitchen and cashier area. It's mostly vegan, with some insects running around the floor. Lunch buffet is very cheap.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Both buffet and menu

Cons: Getting dirty

Great choice of fake meats - Edit

I eat here quite often when I'm in the area. Excellent selection of fake meat dishes (my favourite is the 'ribs').
Prices are more mall than stall (unsurprising due to the location) but still excellent value.

Pros: Tasty dishes, Friendly staff

Supercheap Foodcourt Vegan - Edit

Vegegood, or Excellent Vege as it reads on the sign, is on a side walkway of the food court in the Low Yat, or "computer mall", basement. While KL can be super confusing, it is not hard to find: get to Times Square, get to Low Yat, go downstairs and you'll be there. They did have a menu or buffet option available when we went at lunchtime and our meal was one of the cheapest we had in Malaysia. Many Chinese-style mock meats, some of which scarily realistic, and some veggie dishes. It looked all or almost all vegan to me. I noticed they had a small stand of some vegan foods which seemed to be Asian imports and not necessarily healthy, but if you're looking for a Chinese vegan product this might be a place to check. Not the best, but really economical and good enough for a meal or two.

Pros: Cheap (really cheap), Serve-your-own buffet

Cons: Mall atmosphere, Not health-focused (not terrible either)

Most excellent selection of mock meat Chinese food - Edit

Although this restaurant was a bit difficult to find, the results were WELL worth the walking in circles. The outside of the restaurant no longer looks like it did in the first picture shown on Happy Cow. But its not that different either. No bamboo pieces out front. Anyways, the owner is a really cute older Chinese gentlemen who eagerly spoke English and recommended many dishes to us. My husband and I were so excited to try the mock meat versions of Chinese and Malay food, we kept ordering. The owner actually suggested we had ordered enough for two people, even though he could have made more money from us! A very kind man!!
I highly recommend this restaurant, even though its in a mall and you sit on plastic chairs. The food speaks volumes about the quality of the product and you can't beat having over 100 choice vege dishes!!!

Pros: Many choices, Cheap, Delicious

Cons: Tough to find

Good decent Chinese style cooking. - Edit

Went on the last wkend, 25Nov 2012.
A short walk from Pavallion shopping mall. very easy stroll down the road.

Food is tasty and veg has alot of selections.
But the portion a little small interm of alcart order.
6 persons we order and finish up with 6 dishes and 6 bowl of rices. Not many service staff or waiter.

I forgot to snap some pictures, it needs an updates on the old pictures. :)

Wonderful: clean, cheap and tasty - Edit

I really liked this place. We were there early in the evening, at around 17.15 hours and only one other table was taken. The menu is extensive. We ordered sambal goreng petai, tofu with bean sauce and Singapore noodles. They make the food fresh, we had to wait about 12 minutes. Waitress was friendly. The place is basic but very clean.

It was a pity I didn't had the time to visit a second time, really recommended.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 12, 2012

Pros: Tasty food, Cheap, Clean

Cons: Not a cosy atmosphere

Decent - Edit

The menu was large and the food was vegetarian, but it was not very healthy and nothing was organic. Typical oily vegetarian food with tons of fake meats. Decent prices and friendly staff, but nothing special.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: Unhealthy food

Nice - Edit

Cheap, clean. Plenty of dishes (mockmeats and mockfish, tofu, brown rice, vegetables, potatoes), drinks, fresh fruitjuice. Selfservice, you take the dishes yourself. I had breakfast here for one whole week.

Plenty to choose from here - Edit

Nice and clean. The broad menu's English translations are fantastic. The staff were very friendly with descriptions and extra information. They have one meal that contains cow's milk (which they pointed out to me promptly when I asked them to qualify "vegan") and like many other Buddhisty-vegany places they do use honey - so ask first! Some of their beverages also contain cow's milk.

The food was nice. I also had a roselle drink that was great and was also advertised as a good source of B12. So unless this is from an additive of some sort (and if so is it vegan???) this is BS, not B12.

All in all a good feed and I would definitely return.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 12, 2011

Pros: lots of choices, good food, nice, clean place

Cons: not fully vegan

Great Veg Food - Edit

Great food, really good price. They can make your food Jain if you wish. I had the Udon noodles, which were really good and my wife had some Indian style noodles. The juice was not so great, so stick with a coke - but apart from that we couldn't really complain.

Pros: Good Value, Great Food

Cons: Drinks

Navin Chhaganlal Waya - Edit

VegeGood Chinese Restaurant is equal and better than JAIN food, without onion and garlic, food is fresh and prepared everyday, Food is amazing, I have eaten in many countries, but non like this one, one visit to this Restaurant, will make you many of frequent diners of this Restaurant in Law Yat Plaza, Kuala Lumpur.

Excellent - Edit

KL may be the home of great Mock-meat dishes, but particularly recommended comes any mock-duck dish on Vegegood's menu: the best I have ever had. The location in the basement of a mall isn't all ambience, but the food and the very friendly owners' make this little place a must visit. Fairly priced, with a large menu and great food, it's well worth it.

Pros: Food, Mock-duck, Prices

Cons: Mall ambience

A bit disappointed - Edit

I'm updating this review after some clarification by email from the owner / someone who works there.

Two of us had a meal here one evening - 2 glasses of lime plum, a vaggie prawn dish a mushroom dish and a veggie dish. The cost was 40 RM. I thought the restaurant was pleasant and easy to reach being in the basement of a shopping mall, but I was a bit disappointed with the quantity and quality of the food. Maybe it was the time of day we were there as the mall looked like it was on the verge of closing. We may give it another go sometime and update accordingly.

Pros: aircon, easy to reach

Cons: a bit pricey, small portions

Great if you like faux meat - Edit

Very friendly owner with an almost overwhelming selection of foods. Mostly faux meat dishes - anything you could possibly imagine. Great prices!

I was thrilled to find brown rice here but, unfortunately, I don't really like faux meat so the dishes were limited.

If you're like me, and don't really like faux meat, I'd actually recommend trying non-veg restuarants that have vegetarian options available - much better selection and much tastier than the food I tried at the veg-specific restuarants I tried in KL.

Pros: Wide selection of dishes, Great prices, Lovely service

Cons: Limited choice for non faux meat lovers

Solid place - Edit

We liked VegeGood a lot, though definitely not as much as the other reviewers who made us seek this place out. It's possible we just ordered the wrong dishes, as there were over 100 to choose from, but while we enjoyed our meal, it was hardly one of the best places we visited in KL. We both had a soup to start, and both were solid. The Tom Yum was the better of the two (Dumpling Soup being the other), and we followed this with two mains - Golden Duck and a spinach vegetable. The Duck was good, but hardly show-stopping, while the vegetable was adequate. We were definitely sorry we did not try one of the fish dishes, which seem to be their speciality, and may do so on a return visit.

Pros: Tons of options

Cons: basement mall, portions smallish

a must - Edit

went for both lunch and dinner here. in the afternoon there is a buffet with a large selection of mock/tofu/veg/noodle/rice dishes. you are charged by the amount of items eaten. still even though i had a large plateful, lunch for two was about myr21 (gbp 4). the great thing about this place is you expectations are very little, as it's in the basement of a shopping mall, therefore you expect similar to other mall food. however, the staff were great and the food was fantastic, so much so we went back in the evening. we asked the owner to recommend some dishes in the evening, and it was more expensive as she picked a couple of specials, but worth every penny. if you are in kl, this place is a must.

Pros: great food, large choice, great staff

Very good - Edit

I ate here twice in July '08. Food was very good Chinese vegetarian. It's convenient to Bintang walk if you are in that area. I had Singapore noodles & fried baby kailan. The other time I had some dried fried noodles, forget the name but the waiter said it was one of their most popular dishes. Certainly a nice surprise for a vegetarian in the fast food Bintang district.

ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!! - Edit

The food here is among the best I've ever eaten. The mock meats are so incredibly realistic that we had to ask twice if they were really vegetarian (they definitely are). The flavors and textures amazing -- the food melts in your mouth. Since discovering this place we've gone back twice in the span of three days (and only b/c we were out of town for one of those days!). Esp. good are the sweet and sour ribs and the black pepper meat. Yum!!!! If I could award more than five cows I would!

Pros: Cheap, Various Portion Sizes Av., Take-Away/Carry-Out

Cons: Ambience (Food Court)

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: VegeGood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2224 times since Aug 2007.