CLOSED: Vege Thai

Contact 503-234-2171

3272 SE Hawthorne Blvd (at Hawthorne District), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97214

Vegetarian Thai cuisine. Offers mockmeat dishes and curries. Vegans note that the mockmeats might contain whey - ask. Laid-back, green-hued interior. FEB 2015 REPORTED SHUT AND REPLACED BY JAPANESE RESTAURANT. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Thai, Take-out

First Review by vandp

Refreshingly Tasty Cuisine - Edit

This is a friendly establishment with tasty dishes any vegan or vegetarian would appreciate.
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 10, 2015

Pros: Delicious dishes, Amiable service

Simple and delicious - Edit

We came across Vege Thai walking up Hawthorne and what a find it was. We were greeted by a friendly welcome, and immediately told any dish with egg could be made vegan. Everything was delicious, the soup, the salad, the spring rolls, the red curry, even the homemade lemonade. The prices were all reasonable, the location perfect, the dining comfortable and low key. We loved it.

Pros: Strictly veggie or vegan, Delicious prep made to order, Friendly service

Cons: Too simple for some?

Highly recommended - Edit

We visited this restaurant on our last evening in Portland. The food was delicious and the lady serving was able to let us know exactly what was vegan (loads). When we ordered we were given a couple of their new dishes to try out as well. I wish we had visited earlier in our stay and would definitely be a regular if I lived in Portland.

Pros: Very friendly, Great vegan selection, Delicious food

Had to change my review :( - Edit

I used to LOVE this place. It was my alltime favorite restaurant. Great spring rolls, "chicken" nuggets and Pad Woon Sen. But the last four times I have gone, I have been disappointed. The service has been lacking and the food quality has gone way downhill. My pad woon sen now is mostly blackened glass noodles with little veggies. The nuggets are half the regular size, but the same price. I tried the Pad Thai and it tasted like someone poured ketchup over noodles. Also the last time I was there the owner brought in a Burger King bag! I would like to think there is no meat brought into a vegetarian restaurant (and yes, I don't know what was in the bag-could have been a salad). My mother-in-law ordered sticky rice and peanut sauce, and the rice was too dry to eat. They took the rice off our bill but charged us for the sauce, even though we ordered it specifically for the rice. I will sadly be giving this place a break for a long time :(

Pros: Lots of options

Cons: Food quality declined

Good, but nothing special - Edit

My husband and I stopped at this restaurant for lunch after we had been shopping on Hawthorne. We had a coconut curry and a cashew 'chicken', and they were good, but nothing special.

Pros: location, vegan selection

My Favorite Thai - Edit

I went there for lunch the other day with my friend. Only one other table was taken, so the service was excellent. I ordered two different types of salad (summer) rolls. I loved them both! One had soy ham, avocado, red bell pepper, cucumber...and other things I can't recall. The other roll was just your standard salad roll...always good :) I'll be back. Oh and my friend ordered the pad thai and loved it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, quiet

Terrible service - Edit

I was so excited to try this place out. We were seated and a half full dining area and waited 10 minutes before we had water or menus. The server came to take out orders and smiled when we said had not seen a menu. SHe proceeded to seat and take orders from people that came in after we did...we ended up walking out hungry and frustrated. I have not even tried to go back since then.

Cons: bad servers

Disappointing - Edit

Perhaps my expectations were too high, I love Thai food and I had been dying for a vegetarian Thai restaurant. I've had better Thai food from grocery store-bought mixes, though, and I gave myself better service than this place gave me. At a fraction of the price, no less. I guess what I'm saying is skip it. UPDATE: If you are craving veggie Thai, I have found it: Araya's in Seattle is amazing, I dare say worth the drive for your Portlanders; make a day-trip of it!

Cons: Bland food, Bad faux meat, Minimal service

Questionable Intention, Lackluster Experience - Edit

Some folks go veg for health, some out of compassion, and others simply out of cultural tradition. Vege Thai seems to be in the last category; be warned that their dairy and egg are of typical, factory-farmed origin. When I learned this, I knew I would never return, but unfortunately I stuck around and ordered that day. As for healthiness, they also fail in this category. A little bit of MSG is okay with me--it does have some valid uses--but Vege Thai definitely overdoes it. I swole up like a balloon the next day, a balloon with unquenchable thirst! The food and service are okay. And by "okay," I mean JUST okay. I tipped out of courtesy only. I suppose if you are hungry, and happen to be **extremely** close-by, go ahead and try it out. Otherwise, forego the horrible Thai Pop music and look elsewhere... This place is sadly lacking in the "good energy" feel that permeates most vegetarian joints... Of all the veggie restaurants I've visited in Portland, easily at the bottom of the list.

Pros: Roof, Floor

Cons: Food, Service, Intention

better than sex - Edit

vege thai, to me, is the best restaurant in the universe. it offers super quick and friendly service. the food is freaking wonderful. i've had great memories at this place, and after i'm done writing this i'm riding my bike there and feasting. one day I may leave portland, and vege thai will be one of the things that I would really miss.

my fav: pad thai with soy shrimp and the sampler with a friend

the only cons: the music is ridiculous! but it's so bad that i enjoy it.

special bonusus: rolling stone and people magazine while you wait to kill time, and an awesome vintage furniture place and dollar store across the street

Don't go. - Edit

I can't believe so many people are giving this place a good review. This "Thai" food is very Americanized and lacks in flavor. If you want thai food don't go to Vege Thai. If you want good american "chicken" nuggets, then go right ahead.

Pros: mock chicken

Cons: gross thai food

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Vege Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3106 times since Aug 2007.